Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I'm probably going to Hell for this...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I'm probably going to Hell for this...

Old 06-29-22, 09:47 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 942 Posts
Our sense of humor is funny. Pun intended. About 10 yrs ago, travelling with work, I purchased an $80 bike at the big box store. Way cheaper then a rental bike. Their mechanic and I checked it out and I was good to go.

In front of the store I mounted from a dead stop as always planning on balancing with the handlebars until rolling. We forgot to tighten the handlebars. Rolled right off the bike.

I'm laying on the ground laughing my tail off and notice a family sitting on the bench in front of the store. They all had deadpan expressions. Not even a hint of a smile. Managed to stop laughing, gave them my best smile as I took the bike back in the store to borrow a wrench. I still laugh at that incident.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 06-29-22, 10:06 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,578 Times in 2,895 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Using a bike for transportation..... Isn't that what cyclists do?
Originally Posted by msu2001la
This seems like a weird conclusion. If the cyclist (whom you describe as "obviously not a cyclist") was wearing a helmet, he still would've ended up in the exact same situation - face planting, having the bike hit him (again, in the face), getting back up and riding away uninjured, and then later reading about how someone laughed at him on the internet. A helmet doesn't prevent any of that.

What problem are the gloves supposed to solve here?

Amazing how some have to pick everything apart whether it is of consequence or not. Why not just leave it alone and move on?

Old 06-29-22, 10:13 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Amazing how some have to pick everything apart whether it is of consequence or not. Why not just leave it alone and move on?
Because threads like this are why Al Gore invented the internet.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-29-22, 12:18 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts

I can't tell if this is supposed to be an existential question, or if you're literally asking why I responded to the OP's post.

It's a bike forum on the internet where bike related things get discussed. The OP posted a story and (I assume) is seeking some discussion about that scenario and the elements described. That's what I'm doing.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-29-22, 12:18 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Because threads like this are why Al Gore invented the internet.
Also this.
Old 06-29-22, 12:22 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Was sitting at a stop light in town today and just happened to glance over as this guy was riding a bike. It was a small BMX style bike and this was an adult man, no helmet, no gloves. Obviously not a cyclist,

Really now. Define "cyclist."
Old 06-29-22, 12:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes

Being an Orthodox Cyclist, I generally consult the Cyclismic Oracle for such issues of doctrine, but this forum is supposed to be non-denominational. .
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-29-22, 12:54 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Being an Orthodox Cyclist, I generally consult the Cyclismic Oracle for such issues of doctrine, but this forum is supposed to be non-denominational. .
I understand. I'm just waiting for a response. After I get a response, I may have to petition bike forums to remove the BMX section from the forum, or at least add a disclaimer that they are not real cyclists.

I will also have to amend my personal history as a BMX racer. I will add an asterisk to my credits indicating I was not a real cyclist during that period of my life, and the long rides I also took on my BMX bike, as well as local commuting did not qualify me as a cyclist. A double asterisk will be added to indicate I did not wear a helmet while riding on the street, but did wear gear to race.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-29-22, 01:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
This seems like a weird conclusion. If the cyclist (whom you describe as "obviously not a cyclist") was wearing a helmet, he still would've ended up in the exact same situation - face planting, having the bike hit him (again, in the face), getting back up and riding away uninjured, and then later reading about how someone laughed at him on the internet. A helmet doesn't prevent any of that.

What problem are the gloves supposed to solve here?
Unfortunately, the points you make have been, and will continue to be, lost on many.

And your observation kind of links into my post in #21 above. I guess the desire was to include several hot button items in the made up story to generate as many responses as possible. But doing that usually makes things smell. Also, as in this case, they can be totally irrelevant to what allegedly happened. Again, perhaps that was to garner more responses. Maybe oversight when creating the story. Either way, to me, it makes things smell. OP needs to work on their subtlety.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-29-22 at 01:46 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-29-22, 01:07 PM
indyfabz

Feel free to think superficially about what you read. In this particular case, you are part of the Op’s target audience. And feel free to move on yourself rather than getting on people for making cogent points, even if you think they are not so.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-29-22, 01:18 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
if someone doesn't laugh when you fall it means your old and could have broken a hip or something
Likes For rob214:
Old 06-29-22, 01:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I understand. I'm just waiting for a response. After I get a response, I may have to petition bike forums to remove the BMX section from the forum, or at least add a disclaimer that they are not real cyclists.

I will also have to amend my personal history as a BMX racer. I will add an asterisk to my credits indicating I was not a real cyclist during that period of my life, and the long rides I also took on my BMX bike, as well as local commuting did not qualify me as a cyclist. A double asterisk will be added to indicate I did not wear a helmet while riding on the street, but did wear gear to race.

I'm not clear on whether it's riding a BMX that's disqualifying or using a BMX for transportation without gloves. I'll get back to you after my Magic 8 Ball gets back from the shop.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-29-22, 02:00 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
IMO, incorporating the "class warfare " and lack of safety gear devices into this thread was a mistake, if only because a helmet discussion is a good way to get a thread locked. Sometimes less is more, if you know what I'm sayin'.
I thought the same thing. Labeling a bike riding person as a non cyclist and making a point of no helmet or gloves as if that is an important factor .... maybe in qualifying as a "cyclist"? Based on all the personal examples of helmets "saving my brain" etc. we should score this one for helmets not needed for safely crashing.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-29-22 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-29-22, 02:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Amazing how you would post this in a thread where you just described some people as "desperately deserving" to wipeout and savoring the schadenfreude when they do. I swear, freaking half of the posts on BF are by people whose response to being criticized for being judgmental is to complain about how judgmental people are being by judging their judgmental posts. I believe that's an accurate description of how convoluted this stuff is.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-29-22, 02:22 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Amazing how you would post this in a thread where you just described some people as "desperately deserving" to wipeout and savoring the schadenfreude when they do. I swear, freaking half of the posts on BF are by people whose response to being criticized for being judgmental is to complain about how judgmental people are being by judging their judgmental posts. I believe that's an accurate description of how convoluted this stuff is.
Not only right on, but fun to read!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-29-22, 02:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Camilo
Not only right on, but fun to read!
Out of context but nice try. Ha HA

Old 06-29-22, 02:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-29-22, 03:02 PM
tornado60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I say nah you're good. In a situation like that I usually end up laughing as hard as the person who saw me do it.
Old 06-29-22, 03:20 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
There is no hell.
Old 06-29-22, 04:00 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
If going over the handlebars, putting out your arm, locking your elbow, then using your hand to cushion your fall puts you at a risk of a broken clavicle.

I once had a large stick go into my front spokes on my mountain bike and send me over my handlebars. I kept my hands on the bars and tucked in my head. The result was a half somersault from which I jumped up and did a tah-da pose. If he would've tucked in his head, you might have ended up clapping instead of laughing. With a little BMX bike, he might have been able to complete the loop and land back on his wheels. That would've been cool...
Old 06-29-22, 04:24 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Based on the thread title, I thought the OP put a Shimano gruppo on a Colnago or Pegoretti.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 06-29-22, 04:45 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
I'm usually on the other end of the odd reactions to accidents. A few years ago I was running with a 14 year old that kept stepping off the side of the paved path and I was concerned she would roll an ankle. I moved her to the other side of the path where there was no drop-off and I almost immediately stepped of the path and rolled an ankle. Her first reaction was to laugh a bit before asking if I was OK. She is 17 now and we still run together. A few weeks ago we were running in the dark in the rain when I misjudged the depth of a puddle. She laughed at that too but I will agree that it was funny.

Old 06-29-22, 05:07 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Guys. This was just something I observed yesterday. I'm nowhere near creative enough to fabricate a story like this. Ultimately, I'm glad the guy was OK. And actually, I feel bad about laughing at this guy's bad luck. I do not take delight on other people's misfortune, and this thread was more about my personal failure than a comment on the rider (beyond his preparedness). Considering what happened, I still don't know what instigated the guy to crash. I'm just glad it wasn't really serious.
And the comment about being a cyclist and wearing the gear, well I guess for many that's still a personal preference. But if you're an adult man, wearing jeans, a t-shirt and no helmet and no gloves, but you're riding a child's BMX bike, I'm going to assume you're not a cyclist. I'm sure there are the occasional exception, but 9 times out of 10, I don't think that's an unfair assumption.
As for me, I've bounced my melon off the pavement a couple times. And even with a helmet, I ended up with a splitting headache. I cannot imagine how bad it would have hurt without some kind of cushioning. And I always wear full gloves. Again, personal preference, but I find it minimizes road rash on one of the most highly innervated surfaces of the body.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Feel free to think superficially about what you read. In this particular case, you are part of the Op’s target audience. And feel free to move on yourself rather than getting on people for making cogent points, even if you think they are not so.
What's my "target audience"?
Originally Posted by rob214
if someone doesn't laugh when you fall it means your old and could have broken a hip or something
Ya, that could easily describe me.
I'm not clear on whether it's riding a BMX that's disqualifying or using a BMX for transportation without gloves. I'll get back to you after my Magic 8 Ball gets back from the shop.
The point was this was an adult man riding a child's BMX bike as transportation. If I didn't make that clear, then that's on me. If you're looking to be butt-hurt, that's on you.
Originally Posted by jackb
There is no hell.
You don't have to believe in the concept to use it in a cultural reference.

Oh ya, and the name is "Jennifer", so I'm OK with "she" or "her". No need for the "they" nonsense.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 06-29-22, 05:08 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jackb
There is no hell.
Yes there is. Audie Murphy went there and came back.
Old 06-29-22, 05:33 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I do not take delight on other people's misfortune
Given that you recently expressed a desire to see the president fall into traffic, I’d say that delighting in others’ misfortune is on-brand for you.

Maybe you’ll get lucky and this thread will be similarly deleted.
Likes For Rolla:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.