Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding bike for heavy weights

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 07:52 AM
biologyby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been doing research for folding bikes that can safely support my weight. I'm 6'3 310lbs. Appears that most bikes are really no more than 250-275lbs capacity. I've stopped by a local bike shop and the guy recommended Tern link D8 but i've been reading about some serious issues with the frame. I've also looked at Montague paratrooper and it seems to be an option. I'm looking for a bike to ride around mostly smooth asphalt type surface, no offroading. Just something to go riding with kids. I live in NYC. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-17, 08:33 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I can tell you that the Tern Link D8 is only rated to hold 230lbs. I have a TernJoeP24, and it's rated for 254lbs. These bikes can definitely handle a bit more poundage than they're listed at, but 310lbs is something I'd not want to risk. I'm 240lbs, and my TernJoeP24 might work for you, but it's definitely a gamble.

Maybe a Bike Friday would be good. I believe they have a heavy rider option, and it supports over 300lbs. A bit expensive perhaps, but we'll worth the extra added safety.

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/
Old 08-22-17, 09:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Steel only.. might as well be a Dahon.. have shop you buy from give it a service schedule, to follow,
to take it back for maintenance, and checking for things like weld fatigue. and loose spokes..

Bike Friday has a Heavy rider Option set, but their bikes are not really folding bikes , but bikes for traveling, or riding about,
that partially fold and partially come apart, to pack down to a small size. and made in USA they are pretty expensive.

[edit] consider a folding bike rack for the back of your car that folds to carry a non folding bike, that may handle your 300 pound heft,
that does not fold, you can remove the rack and put it in the car trunk while you are riding it, the bike.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-23-17 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-22-17, 11:49 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

A steel frame Dahon Speed model is STILL only rated for 230lbs. It easily handles my 240lb weight, but a 310lb Rider is too much. A 26" wheeled Dahon (even if it is rated for "230lbs") will hold a heavier rider. But, again, 310lbs will work,...but if you do have an accident, it'll be considered the riders fault. On a Tern bike, under a 26" wheel size, it'd be an unacceptable risk. Especially since the frame breakage debacle.
Old 08-22-17, 11:50 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why do you want a folder? If it is about folded size a folded 26" or 24" bike is not much smaller than a unfolded bike the same size- it`ll just be a different shape but that may be what you want.

Steel for sure, not alu. I would also say try to avoid bikes with a frame hinge. Bike friday is a good option but you may want to look around for a used (heavy rider) bike. What about a small wheeled bike that is not a folder? It is possible to upgrade to stronger wheels with more spokes, there is a lot of options in the 20" size becouse of BMX options.

Small wheels are stronger than similar bigger wheels so 20" is not bad. Also easyer to take on busses and trains and into buildings.

There are some small wheeled cargo bikes. They are built to carry weight if you do not need the option to fold.

Some peopel upgrade and rebuild old steel small wheeled bikes- like the R20. You could do that yourself or look for an upgraded old steel bike for sale.

Edit:

https://www.skeppshult.se/sv/cyklarna/herr/v

https://vermontmountainbike.wordpres...omega-reviews/

https://lovelybike.blogspot.no/search?q=small+wheels Scroll down for small wheeled non folding bikes

Last edited by badmother; 08-22-17 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 12:40 PM
biologyby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. The reason for folding bike is so I can put it in the trunk together with kids' bikes but if unfolded is only marginally smaller I suppose I should explore that option.
Old 08-22-17, 12:52 PM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Small wheeled bikes (20") with a folding (or detatchable stem) and detatchable pedals can be quite small but it depends on the shape of your trunk.

Some peopel do not fold the folder but fold the stem and lower seatpost and store the bike under a bed or behind a sofa. Some fold it to a more square package and put it in a corner, in a cupboard, in a wardrobe or on a shelf.

More strong small wheelers:

https://vimeo.com/29645258

https://its-not-a-bicycle-its-a-demon...portfolio.html Scroll down.

Last edited by badmother; 08-22-17 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 01:55 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I like the Bike Friday option. There is not much else out there.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-22-17, 02:08 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Maybe a Montague folding bike perhaps?

https://www.montaguebikes.com

They're very strong,...military use them. One of their bikes might work for you.
Old 08-22-17, 03:44 PM
downtube

Originally Posted by tds101
Maybe a Montague folding bike perhaps?

https://www.montaguebikes.com

They're very strong,...military use them. One of their bikes might work for you.
They are too big even when folded.

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-22-17, 04:24 PM
downtube

The weakest point should be the rear wheel. Therefore a smaller radius will make it stiffer & stronger.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-22-17, 04:42 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
To take that sort of weight safely you really want a mountain bike. Many are rated up to 136kg even allowing for taking a few knocks so for road use only should be safe for up to 160kg and you are only at the 136kg level. With a quick release front wheel you can remove that quite easily to make it slightly more compact for transporting. If you go for the 26" wheel size it will be a bit more compact than 27.5" or 29" wheels. Suggest you get a bike with double wall rims and a high spoke count. Also make sure the bike has a cassette based drive train not freewheel based. Ideally the frame should be steel but not as critical with a mountain bike that is actually rated to 136kg.

You may find when you start cycling and if you do it regularly your weight goes down at a fairly fast rate especially if you have hills in your area. Once you are at a lower weight then maybe get the folding bike that is ideal for you. In which case perhaps a good quality secondhand bike could be a stop gap until you get your ideal bike. Think of getting the new shiny bike as a reward for losing weight and make do with a scratched up strong bike now.

Might be worth asking at a local bike shop to see if they have any secondhand bikes, maybe something that would have cost $400 a few years ago but is now sub $200 as a secondhand purchase. The trouble with modern cheap bikes that you find in walmart etc is the frame may be strong but the rest of the components are like cheese.

I know New York is a huge place but I'll mention it anyway. Bike & Kite is here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/''...028!2d40.81332

He does the bikeman4u youtube channel which I sometimes watch. He has a lot of old bikes he stores and seems to like helping people get back into cycling by digging out one of these bikes. If you go there on a Saturday we can all watch you as he does a 4hr live youtube video. Typically he might pull out an old bike, put new tyres and tubes on give a quick service and practically throw in the bike depending on his mood on the day.

Last edited by Bonzo Banana; 08-22-17 at 04:53 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-22-17, 05:25 PM
reycer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI- I saw this bike at a bike show, looked pretty stout. I thought it looked cool lol...

It's electric... $$ but reasonable for electric and it folds.
270lbs limit.

https://bit.ly/2vmCeCc
Old 08-22-17, 07:21 PM
FInish4Finn

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forget what my Dahon was rated at with weight restriction. However it isn't an issue in my case. And how they determine the weight limit is up in the air with my understanding. It could be rated for much higher, but in safety a recommended weight is added. Given it is a chinese manufacturer only an engineer would be able to determine this. And there are not that many what would be defined to be obese in China compared to a North American population riding bikes to test the durability. Only at recall might a manufacturer tweek the recommended weight limit. I hope this doesn't turn heavier people off cycling as it is a viable source of exercise and weight management. But, if anything make sure your saddle fits you with the proper support, more so than what type of bike you may be riding.
Old 08-22-17, 09:14 PM
biologyby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate all the input
Old 08-22-17, 10:58 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by downtube
They are too big even when folded.

Thanks,
Yan
Hmm,...it might not work for you, but it's definitely something the op should consider.

PS: the 11 speed Shimano Alfine Montague Allston looks amazing!

And the Paratrooper Pro is more in line for what I'd like to get,...

Last edited by tds101; 08-23-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 12:08 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
If you want folding for the smaller size as did I. I went Mercier Nano and put on high rise handle bars and folding pedals. I loosen the handlebars, lower the seat and it gets quite small. Doesn't fold, but it does get small.

Last edited by mirfi; 08-23-17 at 12:09 PM. Reason: content
Old 08-23-17, 12:10 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
BTW, I have a Montague. It does fold, but still a relative beast.
Old 08-24-17, 01:07 AM
BromptonBikeFan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can imagine that it's not easy to find

Maybe contacting the comercial department of a specific brand can help find a custom version bike.
Old 08-24-17, 07:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by mirfi
BTW, I have a Montague. It does fold, but still a relative beast.
cannot make a bike with large wheels fold smaller than it's wheels. thus compact folding bikes have smaller wheels.
Old 11-28-18, 08:40 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Slight thread necro...

The Montague Paratrooper works extremely well for what it is. Once I replaced the cheez-ball parts on mine, anyway.
Sure, it won't fit in an airline approved no-extra-charge suitcase, but I've carried it around in the trunks of several cars, minivans, and a Cessna 172 without any real issues.
I've done the same with non-folding bikes, yeah, but with a bit more time with disassembly and reassembly.

It's been a good bike. Not as lively as the Cannondale I sold a few years ago, but I kept this one instead of the C'dale for its portability and the way I travel.

Now, I'm starting a new job that involves airline travel. I'm down to just under 315 now, and hope that, by spring, I'll have a far greater selection of folding bikes that I *can* check as luggage.
Sarge would then be sorta out of a job then, and I may start looking for a good frame for those upgrade parts... unless I can get a good price for it whole.
Old 11-28-18, 12:09 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Euromini has a new 300lb bike. I just grabbed the Via for my daughter but check out the Forte- https://www.euromini.bike/shop-forte
If you are active or former US military you can get 10% off.
Old 11-28-18, 06:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

as before I modified it..

Heavy Rider pocket Llama, disc, Rohloff ..
Diamond 24 is their other offering..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-29-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 06:27 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by kayakindude
Euromini has a new 300lb bike. I just grabbed the Via for my daughter but check out the Forte- https://www.euromini.bike/shop-forte
If you are active or former US military you can get 10% off.
Nice!

Old 11-28-18, 07:04 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
So, Bike Friday and Euromini... that looked pretty good. I'm gonna go poke around their website. Thanks!

(added) Wow, that's a lot cheaper than the Fridays... how is it, really? Folks I've read seem to like 'em well enough. I

Last edited by velojym; 11-28-18 at 07:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.