Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Uhh, what's a cyclist?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Uhh, what's a cyclist?

Old 07-10-20, 01:43 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm sure you have very good reasons for wearing lycra when you do. I'm also pretty sure "protecting yourself from your bike" isn't one of them. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right, I wear cycling shorts and jerseys because to me they are much more comfortable for long (2 to 8rs) rides and for efforts. Jeans are OK for short (1/2hr) and easy rides. That said, I've done many 2-3hrs rides in jeans and shirt, no problem. The bike never attacked me...
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 07-10-20, 01:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
You're right, I wear cycling shorts and jerseys because to me they are much more comfortable for long (2 to 8rs) rides and for efforts. Jeans are OK for short (1/2hr) and easy rides. That said, I've done many 2-3hrs rides in jeans and shirt, no problem. The bike never attacked me...

My bike doesn't attack me as long as I keep repeating "Who's a good bike? You're a good bike! Good bike, good bike."
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-20, 01:56 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
When I was young, I rode centuries in commando cut offs. Never had a problem. I think younger skin might be tougher as I don't think that would work for me now

I didn't ride for over 30 years. When I returned to riding I started our wearing regular shorts but when I tried biking shorts I found them more comfortable. And fewer saddle sore issues, which I never had a problem with as a kid.
Old 07-10-20, 02:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by jon c.
When I was young, I rode centuries in commando cut offs. Never had a problem. I think younger skin might be tougher as I don't think that would work for me now

I didn't ride for over 30 years. When I returned to riding I started our wearing regular shorts but when I tried biking shorts I found them more comfortable. And fewer saddle sore issues, which I never had a problem with as a kid.
I think you should ride in whatever makes you comfortable and you owe no one an explanation. A couple of us are responding to a poster who has been arguing nonsensically for years that upright bike riders are all tormenting themselves with their seats.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-20, 02:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I'll doff my helmet to you guys who can do any significant distance in jorts! Y'all are beyond tough.
Old 07-10-20, 02:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'll doff my helmet to you guys who can do any significant distance in jorts! Y'all are beyond tough.
I don't wear jeans, but I've done lots of 150 mile rides in cargo shorts. What can I say, I'm a hardass.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-20, 03:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't wear jeans, but I've done lots of 150 mile rides in cargo shorts. What can I say, I'm a hardass.
Cargo shorts or slim fitting cargo pants are the best, especially camo ones or black ones. Very practical because of all the pockets for carrying stuff...I've done rides between 80-100 miles with cargo shorts but I also did wear padded shorts underneath my cargos...You will never catch me wearing skin tight spandex in public. That's what cargo shorts or cargo pants are for, to hide the shame of lycra.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-10-20, 03:27 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
But is your lycra shorts padded? If so it is to protect you from your bike seat. Not needed on recumbents.
Old 07-10-20, 03:55 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But is your lycra shorts padded? If so it is to protect you from your bike seat. Not needed on recumbents.
OK, if you think recumbents are better than upright bikes, no problem. I've never ridden a bent, so I don't have an opinion on that.
Old 07-10-20, 04:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Cargo shorts or slim fitting cargo pants are the best, especially camo ones or black ones. Very practical because of all the pockets for carrying stuff...I've done rides between 80-100 miles with cargo shorts but I also did wear padded shorts underneath my cargos...You will never catch me wearing skin tight spandex in public. That's what cargo shorts or cargo pants are for, to hide the shame of lycra.
Cargo shorts are incredibly practical for long rides. I definitely wear them tight.
The only padding I wear is a pair of boxer shorts.
Old 07-12-20, 07:30 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I'm sure you have very good reasons for wearing lycra when you do. I'm also pretty sure "protecting yourself from your bike" isn't one of them. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I absolutely appreciate that cycling in jeans or cargo shorts is perfectly fine in most cases but those who prefer lycra often ride with much greater intensity, than those who don general use clothing...the abrasive movement between saddle and upper thigh is harsher. Chafing is less of an issue if you aren't cycling with any great urgency. Even for those who wear lycra and have very good chamois, often a good chamois cream is required in addition on longer races or endurance events where time is a factor in the performance. You are, essentially, protecting yourself from your bike which causes the chafing when it is ridden this way.

Now, you can get cargo-type shorts with chamois inserts too - you don't need lycra. For my first foray into XC MTB I wore cargo-style shorts like the downhill riders tend to do and then added a chamois insert because it was more comfortable for me to do so. I have since adopted lycra because I now race MTB and the other benefits of lycra come into play.

I commute, go for fun rides etc in jeans, regular shorts etc. But for training and racing? Lycra. The reasons are many, the chafing issue above, extra padding for comfort over rougher road surfaces, the stretch of the fabric which is more comfortable and accommodating of a more aero racing position, the more efficient handling of sweat - the lycra allows your sweat to move through the material, known as 'wicking' so that it can evaporate, cargo shorts and jeans are not nearly as efficient - and finally, of zero importance to the casual cyclist or non-performance orientated rider, more streamlined, aerodynamic clothing reduces drag and ergo improves performance where speed is desired.
Old 07-12-20, 04:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
I absolutely appreciate that cycling in jeans or cargo shorts is perfectly fine in most cases but those who prefer lycra often ride with much greater intensity, than those who don general use clothing...the abrasive movement between saddle and upper thigh is harsher. Chafing is less of an issue if you aren't cycling with any great urgency. Even for those who wear lycra and have very good chamois, often a good chamois cream is required in addition on longer races or endurance events where time is a factor in the performance. You are, essentially, protecting yourself from your bike which causes the chafing when it is ridden this way.

Now, you can get cargo-type shorts with chamois inserts too - you don't need lycra. For my first foray into XC MTB I wore cargo-style shorts like the downhill riders tend to do and then added a chamois insert because it was more comfortable for me to do so. I have since adopted lycra because I now race MTB and the other benefits of lycra come into play.

I commute, go for fun rides etc in jeans, regular shorts etc. But for training and racing? Lycra. The reasons are many, the chafing issue above, extra padding for comfort over rougher road surfaces, the stretch of the fabric which is more comfortable and accommodating of a more aero racing position, the more efficient handling of sweat - the lycra allows your sweat to move through the material, known as 'wicking' so that it can evaporate, cargo shorts and jeans are not nearly as efficient - and finally, of zero importance to the casual cyclist or non-performance orientated rider, more streamlined, aerodynamic clothing reduces drag and ergo improves performance where speed is desired.
Yeah, yeah, know the party line. I just don't subscribe to much of it.
I don't race, but I ride many, many miles in aero position, and quite fast. For some reason, I don't chafe in my cargo shorts.
Old 07-13-20, 01:11 AM
AlgarveCycling

Yeah, yeah, know the party line. I just don't subscribe to much of it.
I don't race, but I ride many, many miles in aero position, and quite fast. For some reason, I don't chafe in my cargo shorts.
As a kid my friends and I would ride all day - almost quite literally, we'd take packed lunches and head out and not return home until light was fading. Many hours were spent actually riding as opposed to simply hanging out. Normal clothes. No chafing. We also spent much of our time barefoot (South Africa) and could walk and run on terrain most would wish shoes for so obviously we can get used to something by toughening up our skin in exposed areas through repeated use.

All that said, yesterday on my Sunday team ride we averaged 36km/h (22.4mph) for 118km (73mi) with 1300m (4267ft) climbing and breakaway and sprint speeds of up to 63km/h (39mph). I defy anyone to wear cargo shorts on rides similar to that and faster and honestly say they are truly comfortable. This doesn't mean not possible, it certainly is if one was stubbornly opposed to alternatives for personal reasons that they do not have to justify, we wear what we like and shouldn't be judged on it, but it just won't be as comfortable as it could have been if so desired.

Edited to add: I have experience in this comparison. As a young aspiring racer, I wore out my two pairs of cycling shorts at the time, cheap chamois was wrecked and so removed. I wore normal underwear instead beneath the lycra. I did this for a good couple of years before I could afford new shorts - more because I spent what income I had on bike parts first! I got 'used' to it. I preferred the lycra still because it still felt better training and racing in hot South African weather and...aero. But I may as well have been wearing cargo shorts or similar in terms of padded comfort because it didn't exist.
Even so, when I got another pair of padded shorts, I found them much more comfortable. As a kid we preferred no shoes as I wrote above. But that was just lazy kid stuff. Shoes are still more comfortable on rough terrain. Putting up and making do for whatever reason is perfectly fine if that is what we want to do but doesn't mean that there aren't alternatives that are more comfortable should we decide to use them at some point.

Last edited by AlgarveCycling; 07-13-20 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-13-20, 02:18 AM
AlgarveCycling

To answer the Thread's question, a cyclist is officially anyone who rides a bicycle. The sub-categories of that are many and include commuters, enthusiasts, sport, pro's, unicyclists, those very few weird recumbent types who get dropped on our local hills regularly etc etc.
Old 06-27-22, 11:28 AM
satrain18

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
The Dutch have wielrenner for someone riding a racing bike and fietser for some riding a sit up bike in normal clothes.
The word "wielrenner" is also a negative connotation widely used in the Netherlands to dehumanize road cyclists, since they're not considered real cyclist there.
Old 06-27-22, 01:25 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Seems to be some confusion about this one.

Is it anyone on a bike, anytime, no matter what?
Is it someone with a bike in their garage/shed/storage, ridden or not?
Is it someone who uses it out of necessity?
Is it a certain amount of miles a year? 5000?1000? 4?

I guess I just don't know.

A car and driver analogy came up. Is everyone who has a car a serious motorist (sorry, don't know the actual name for that). Of course not. Do you have to race a car to be serious though? Hardly.

So where is it for the bike?

I don't think it should be all encompassing. For me, I keep it to those who give a damn.

The bike itself has got to at least be fixable. Meaning, it's worth it to repair things that wear out and things adjusted stay adjusted. If that means bike shop quality or higher, then that's what it means.

You've got to have access to chain lube, and use it when needed. Likewise a pump.

​​​​​You don't have to ride, you set aside time to ride because you want to. Whether that means waking up early to commute or negotiating a Saturday with your spouse. Making time.

You've got to sweat. Sorry, a leisurely drift around the park with a kid on a scooter keeping up just isn't riding. I'm sorry.

So it's a bit limited but hardly exclusive. I won't be calling kids, throngs of commuters in certain countries, and those who ride because they don't have much choice cyclists. You know what though? I doubt those people would call themselves a cyclist.

Its also a pretty slippery slope. It doesn't take long before dude on a bike finds out he loves it, and the miles start adding up, and the bike start getting more appropriate and before you know it, he's shaving his legs and bidding for 70 year old wool jerseys on eBay.

Discuss
Anyone, anywhere, any time, any age, any bike, any garb, -------------are cyclist if they are on 2, 3, 4 wheels.
Old 06-27-22, 08:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
What’s a cyclist?

One or more wheels and pedals to drive the pedals. They usually carry a drink or three.

Exhibit 1:

Old 06-29-22, 07:48 AM
Ronwalker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would say from a legal point of view it's a good question, I would categorize cyclists into several compartments, because bicycles are of different types.
Old 07-12-22, 10:27 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5893 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by satrain18
The word "wielrenner" is also a negative connotation widely used in the Netherlands to dehumanize road cyclists, since they're not considered real cyclist there.
No, it litterally translates as "wheelrunner" which is a special kind of wielrijder or wheelrider, which is not much used anymore for all cyclists. It's a neutral distinction only about wanting to go fast or not. The Flemish also use 'autorennen' for 4 wheeled motorsports.

If's often said with a negative intonation because the behaviour of many in traffic isn't liked. But the word has nog negative connotation.