Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the old BMXers out there

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-29-22, 01:48 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts

Thought you might get a kick out of this.

Old 01-29-22, 06:04 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
I very much like this gentleman's Youtube. Spindatt does a lot of playing around with old frames and he advocates updating stuff. My only knock with him is everything that is updated gets a new 1x system but a lot of his stuff comes out great. I've actually learned new stuff about chains, perfectly selected gears to prevent the need of a tensioner on a singlespeed like this one. Just a fun watch most of the time.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 01-29-22, 04:47 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I appreciate that he's gotten better over time; his earlier work was a kind of "I know I'm doing it wrong, but I'm doing it anyway" vibe.

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I very much like this gentleman's Youtube. Spindatt does a lot of playing around with old frames and he advocates updating stuff. My only knock with him is everything that is updated gets a new 1x system but a lot of his stuff comes out great. I've actually learned new stuff about chains, perfectly selected gears to prevent the need of a tensioner on a singlespeed like this one. Just a fun watch most of the time.
Old 01-31-22, 08:23 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I appreciate that he's gotten better over time; his earlier work was a kind of "I know I'm doing it wrong, but I'm doing it anyway" vibe.
I like some of his older stuff though, It's like learning from a bike mechanic one generation removed from my base of experience. I seriously learned a bunch about chains in an old video that helped me figure out some compatibility questions I had with mixed drivetrains. Very can do attitude. Look up Dklein too, if he cant get you motivated to go on a bike ride, I don't know who will. Dklein's paint job stuff is very cool.
Likes For mechanicmatt: