Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Defy Advanced 2 vs Contend AR 1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-22, 10:25 AM
Broodax

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I think that there is actually a bike available for sale near me! Of course there are actually two, so now I need to decide, and would love to hear from anyone that's ridden either/both of these.

Apart from the obvious difference that one's an aluminum frame and one's an entry level carbon frame, they're nearly identical, with 105 groupset and giant cockpit/saddle. The only differences:

Defy: $2660, Shimano rotors, Shimano crank, Shimano pressfit BB, Sapim Race spokes, Fondo 1 tires, uniclip accessory mount on saddle.

Contend: $1950, Giant rotors, Praxis crank, cartridge BB, giant spokes, Fondo 2 tires

My gut tells me that I will not feel the difference in the frame (I'm coming from an aluminum flat-bar bike) and that plus the minor differences aren't worth the ~$700. However! The defy is in my local shop's warehouse and I can likely have them put it together for a small deposit (this also gets me 5% off retail which I already included above), the Contend is online and would be bought site-unseen (though giant still ships it to the lbs for build/pickup).

My riding is 25-75 mile rides on trails/county roads in mostly flat Minnesota. Up to 2/week group rides currently with a very casual ~16mph group, but the same group has faster rides.

Last edited by Broodax; 04-11-22 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-11-22, 02:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
The Contend has a 1" higher frame stack. So that means you won't be able to get as much saddle to bar drop with it if you find you prefer to ride in a very aero position. Though both are a fairly relaxed fit.

With the CF bike you might find on longer rides it's more comfortable. But if any, likely just a tad bit more comfortable. More comfortable meaning that you aren't feeling as beat up from all the road bumps and forces you'll experience with every passing mile.

If you don't have experience with road bikes then I'd say get the less expensive one. That way you can find out what you do and don't like and get another bike that suits you better when you know. You might find you don't like sitting up so much and can't get low enough, or some other obscure thing that you wouldn't have liked about either bike.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-11-22 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-11-22, 03:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
The component specs are pretty much the same. The Defy still has a press fit bb. The Contend specs "cartridge" which may be threaded. I'd probably choose the Contend if it has more relaxed geometry and a proper bottom bracket. On the other hand, the "Amber Glow" Defy looks really cool.

Old 04-11-22, 05:06 PM
Broodax

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, both. I think you're both right, and I would quickly choose the cheaper, more relaxed option as my first road bike, and it's only the fact that I'd have to order it online that's making me question it.

Edit: And now the contend is not available. I thought it was strange that they'd actually have it available for online ordering. I must have had a weird location bug or something.

So, no option/choice for me after all.

Last edited by Broodax; 04-11-22 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-11-22, 06:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Fine choice, either way.
Old 04-11-22, 06:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Inventory still isn't what it should be since COVID hit. But it's getting better. Maybe just keep checking daily till it comes back in stock. I wouldn't buy the more expensive bike just because it's the only available at the moment. Unless that amount of money is a very trivial amount for your pocketbook.

Or call your nearest Trek Dealer and ask, beg or what ever you have to do to have them find another LBS that has the model and size you want in stock. Then either drive there or see if they will ship to you or your LBS.

Many of the other bike manufactures sites use to have a feature to look up and see what shop where was claiming to have a particular model in inventory. I didn't see that on the Giant site. Maybe they are pushing hard for online sales.
Old 04-11-22, 07:56 PM
Broodax

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Giant does do this, they let you search by zip code and they'll show any of the closest shops that have what you're looking for.

My problem is that I need a small frame, and that coupled with the inventory issues you mention mean that there are literally like 3 bikes in the country I can find actually in stock, and this one is the only one within 500 miles. I've been watching inventory since last June...

I could have found one of a number of different brands, but I'm highly inclined to use my lbs (who carries primarily giant and Cannondale) for a number of reasons.
Old 04-18-22, 03:23 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I can say the Giant Defy is a nice solid frame and I've had zero issues with the PF BB (15,000 km and going strong). The 105 groupset is flawless too. Only thing I didn't like was the stock saddle. I know saddles are a personal preference, but I can't imagine anyone getting on with the stock saddle it came with. Rock hard and shapeless unless they have changed in the last couple of years. Every review I read mentioned how bad it was too and they weren't wrong!
Old 04-19-22, 05:43 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
I'd get the entry level CF bike for sure. You say you won't feel the difference, but chances are that you will. Plus, the Defy is a better investment on the long run IMO. With the Contend, you may have to replace the whole thing once/if you realize how stiffer and better CF is .
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-20-22, 08:55 AM
blkwrxwag

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Contend AR1. It's a threaded BB.

My thoughts - I bought mine as a first real road bike. It's a great bike... no issues. However, light it is not! I live in the hills, and it has me wishing for a lighter bike. If you live in a flat area, it's totally fine. I'm now looking to upgrade to a CF bike and keep the Contend for the indoor trainer.
Old 04-20-22, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

The Defy 2 isn't any lightweight either. At least not by todays standards. Both weigh within a pound or so of each other from what I'm able to find online.
Old 04-20-22, 09:15 AM
blkwrxwag

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
The Defy 2 isn't any lightweight either. At least not by todays standards. Both weigh within a pound or so of each other from what I'm able to find online.
Also true - need to up the budget quite a bit to get significantly lighter.
Old 04-20-22, 10:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't think weight is going to be a major concern for the OP riding on flat terrain. But the Defy is a very comfortable frame to ride and yet very stiff in the right places for power transfer. I think that's where you may notice a difference between the two bikes, especially on rougher roads. Probably not going to be night and day different, although it's a very long time since I've ridden an aluminium frame.
Old 07-01-22, 08:41 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I’m interested in the Contend AR series, but I’m a bit confused about the sizing. Both the M/L and L size frames say they’re compatible for a six foot tall male. There’s bikes a M/L about an hour away to test ride and a L about an hour in the other direction!?! Which should I try first?
Old 07-06-22, 10:39 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
I’m interested in the Contend AR series, but I’m a bit confused about the sizing. Both the M/L and L size frames say they’re compatible for a six foot tall male. There’s bikes a M/L about an hour away to test ride and a L about an hour in the other direction!?! Which should I try first?
When you find your proper bike fit, you may start to notice adjustments closer to their limits on certain things. Did you need to get a significantly longer or shorter stem? Is your saddle slammed way back or way forward? Stuff like that. From there, you can study the geometry of bikes you're looking at to determine if you will be able to make them fit right, or what parts you'd have to change. Seat tube angle is a big one for me, but you don't need my whole bike sizing story.

But if you want the simplest answer, probably try the smaller one first and if it just feels too small, go for the larger one instead.