Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Find a spring outing location

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22, 10:59 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The temperature is gradually rising, which is a good time for spring outing. I like spring outings, cycling and rock climbing with everyone during the day, lying on the grass and enjoying the sun and chatting together when tired, having barbecues and cooking with family and friends in the evening, and telling jokes and stories with everyone in the tent at night. marvelous.

Do you have any recommendations for a suitable spring outing location? Or do you have any other interesting spring outing activities to share?
Old 04-13-22, 04:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Tomorrow I leave from near Philly to S. Jersey then to the Cape May ferry to Lewes, DE, for two nights of camping at Cape Henlopen State Park. Then it’s back to NJ and up the coast to AC for the train home.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-22, 04:49 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Tomorrow I leave from near Philly to S. Jersey then to the Cape May ferry to Lewes, DE, for two nights of camping at Cape Henlopen State Park. Then it’s back to NJ and up the coast to AC for the train home.
Love camping at henlopen! Wife works too hard for camping these days so we'll be staying in Rehoboth next month.
Old 04-13-22, 04:52 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Love camping at henlopen! Wife works too hard for camping these days so we'll be staying in Rehoboth next month.
I made my reservation back in late February or early March. The campground was already well more than half booked that early.
Old 04-13-22, 08:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
about a decade or so ago we arranged an "annual" family picnic. It was a challenge to find a location that would accommodate us, that was convenient for everyone, that didn't require overnight accommodations. we tried to bring a range of equipment for all ages to participate with. some things were used, many things were not. we met, we ate, we played, we laughed & there were no injuries either there or when everyone was traveling. haven't been able to do the exact same thing again. thank goodness for the big holidays. that's about as much as our families can handle, I think
Old 04-13-22, 08:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My favorite spring outing is selling cheap electric bikes without actually selling them by just asking kind of vague questions to hopefully maybe get people to check out my brand of low quality stuff from overseas.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-14-22, 03:29 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
My favorite spring outing is selling cheap electric bikes without actually selling them by just asking kind of vague questions to hopefully maybe get people to check out my brand of low quality stuff from overseas.
Good catch.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-14-22, 04:30 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Wales, in the United Kingdom is the most bestest suitable spring outing location. Other interesting spring outing activities that is very critical to happiness are finding great deals on speedplay compatible shoes that don't require adapters.
Old 04-14-22, 05:34 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Yeah, it's been shilling in Ebikes for awhile. I think they told it to pay if it wanted to keep advertising. Probably thought it could slip in under the radar here in General.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-14-22, 05:38 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Here in the NE U.S. it is risky to plan outdoor activities during the spring. I've done spring skiing, but usually just weekend trips planned at the last minute if the weather looks suitable. Hiking/camping in the spring is likely to be a damp affair, even if it is not actually raining the ground is usually pretty wet ("lying on the grass" quickly changes to "getting up with a soaked butt and back"). Many hiking/MTB trails are closed, or at least hiking/biking is strongly discouraged, due to the increased level of damage that feet and wheels can do to wet trails. I wait until late spring or summer, personally.

I would guess that the U.S. SW might be nice - Arizona/New Mexico, but that's just a guess. I think some cycling clubs around here have spring training trips in those areas.
Old 04-14-22, 07:12 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Wow, this sounds great. Enjoy yourself!
Old 04-14-22, 07:17 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
This also sounds good! I wish you a good time~
Old 04-14-22, 07:23 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

I made my reservation back in late February or early March. The campground was already well more than half booked that early.
Most people choose camping as an activity, and henlopen is beautiful and is the first choice for camping, I began to worry about whether there is still a place to go camping there now. . .
Old 04-14-22, 07:26 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
about a decade or so ago we arranged an "annual" family picnic. It was a challenge to find a location that would accommodate us, that was convenient for everyone, that didn't require overnight accommodations. we tried to bring a range of equipment for all ages to participate with. some things were used, many things were not. we met, we ate, we played, we laughed & there were no injuries either there or when everyone was traveling. haven't been able to do the exact same thing again. thank goodness for the big holidays. that's about as much as our families can handle, I think
I love the joy a family picnic brings to me! We can laugh and play with family and friends! And there is almost no danger.
Old 04-14-22, 07:34 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by noimagination
Here in the NE U.S. it is risky to plan outdoor activities during the spring. I've done spring skiing, but usually just weekend trips planned at the last minute if the weather looks suitable. Hiking/camping in the spring is likely to be a damp affair, even if it is not actually raining the ground is usually pretty wet ("lying on the grass" quickly changes to "getting up with a soaked butt and back"). Many hiking/MTB trails are closed, or at least hiking/biking is strongly discouraged, due to the increased level of damage that feet and wheels can do to wet trails. I wait until late spring or summer, personally.

I would guess that the U.S. SW might be nice - Arizona/New Mexico, but that's just a guess. I think some cycling clubs around here have spring training trips in those areas.
Thank you very much for your comment, it helped me a lot. Maybe I can look in the direction of Arizona.
Old 04-14-22, 09:03 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
We went to the Ufufu campsite in Izu, about 2 hours by car from Tokyo. The campsite is equipped with travel trailers or luxury tents, barbecues at each spot, and they provide all the food and beer you need for a good time. The countryside is beautiful, the roads are well-maintained, and the cycling on the roads is safer in Japan than most other places.

The area is hilly, and the winding roads are popular with motorcyclists. Shirohama beach is a couple hours away by bicycle, Shirohama Shrine, famous for its beauty and history, is nearby.

After a long ride you can enjoy a relaxing soak in the hot spring baths at the campsite. I cooked up a huge tomahawk steak on the barbecue after a ride, a rare treat in Japan.
Old 04-15-22, 10:59 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Spring time in central Florida was back in January! It’s full on summertime weather right now, 91 yesterday, 88 and getting hotter outside right now. We ride early in the morning when it’s only 74 at sunrise and be well into the 80’s by the time we finish around 10-11am.
Old 04-17-22, 07:36 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
We went to the Ufufu campsite in Izu, about 2 hours by car from Tokyo. The campsite is equipped with travel trailers or luxury tents, barbecues at each spot, and they provide all the food and beer you need for a good time. The countryside is beautiful, the roads are well-maintained, and the cycling on the roads is safer in Japan than most other places.

The area is hilly, and the winding roads are popular with motorcyclists. Shirohama beach is a couple hours away by bicycle, Shirohama Shrine, famous for its beauty and history, is nearby.

After a long ride you can enjoy a relaxing soak in the hot spring baths at the campsite. I cooked up a huge tomahawk steak on the barbecue after a ride, a rare treat in Japan.
Thank you so much for sharing, this itinerary sounds really tempting. When I have time, I must take my family and friends to enjoy this wonderful itinerary.
Old 04-17-22, 07:43 PM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Originally Posted by A350driver
Spring time in central Florida was back in January! It’s full on summertime weather right now, 91 yesterday, 88 and getting hotter outside right now. We ride early in the morning when it’s only 74 at sunrise and be well into the 80’s by the time we finish around 10-11am.
Hot weather is irritating, and California is fine, not so hot.
Old 04-18-22, 07:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
AOSTIRMOTOR - you are looking for a location to take a bunch of family and friends for an overnight camping trip where you rock climb and ride?
I cant say I know of anyone who has organized such an activity. The logistics and cost would be wild- just pick a spot and get everyone to take the time off work and life, then also the cost of travel and everything else.

You live a really cool life, if these outings are as frequent as your post makes them sound.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-18-22 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-18-22, 08:34 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11953 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you have a link then PM it to me. Otherwise, does it hurt to wait until your suspicions pan out instead of falsely accusing and harassing somebody?
Old 04-18-22, 03:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Billy, I think the Boss Lady has this one figured. Maybe check with her. 👍
Likes For shelbyfv: