Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Requesting help removing (old) Race Face crankset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 11:18 PM
gribbly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,

I am disassembling a 2006 Kona Kula Primo, so that I can have the frame powder coated.

I have managed to remove everything at home, except I can't get the crank arms off or remove the spindle. The crankset is made by Race Face circa 2006 I think.

I am not too familiar with this part of a bike - I have read/watched videos but to be honest I'm a bit confused. I'm posting pics in the hope someone will recognize the type of crankset I have and help me!

Here's a pic with the fasteners in place (I'm not allowed to post real links or pics!):

imgur.com/5lyfcOQ

I managed to get the fasteners removed, and I expected the crank arms to come off pretty easily. But I can't budge them! Here's a pic with the fasteners removed:

imgur.com/C43Y20K

How do I remove this thing? Any suggestions appreciated...
Old 05-10-22, 04:03 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Those crank arms have a square taper interface and will require an aptly-named "crank puller" to pull them off of the taper. Something like this is suitable: https://www.parktool.com/product/uni...d-cranks-cwp-7
Old 05-10-22, 06:30 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
You buy the tool or pay the shop some nominal fee to pull them. Then you will need to pull the bottom bracket as well. Same scenario, buy the tools or pay the fee.
Old 05-10-22, 07:48 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,559 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by gribbly

I managed to get the fasteners removed, and I expected the crank arms to come off pretty easily. But I can't budge them!

How do I remove this thing? Any suggestions appreciated...
Get the Crank Puller and doublecheck that there IS NOT a washer still in the crank (if there is a washer, it would have been between the crank bolt and the crank). Park Tool has a good video on square taper crank removal.
Old 05-10-22, 07:51 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The first photo shows that the crank has self extractors. This means that you don't need a special tool to remove the crank. Replace both fasteners making sure that the outer one is screwed in as far as it will go. Once they are both back in place, undo the centre bolt. It will turn and then tighten up. Continue turning it and the crank will pop right off

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-10-22 at 07:54 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-10-22, 08:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I too, think those are self extracting cranks. Maybe rare for square tapers, but they sure look like self-extracting cranks. A pic of the bolt and ring-nut you took off might help decide for certain. But just try what alcjphil said to do.

Here are your pics for others to see....

Old 05-10-22, 08:35 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I'll add that the self-extractors aren't always strong enough to pull the crank off on their own. Just keep an eye on the outer ring (with the two small holes) as you unscrew the bolt. If the ring starts to bend or deform, stop and unscrew/remove the ring, then the bolt and then use a dedicated crank extractor tool. I second the Park extractor tool mentioned by dsbrantjr in post #2. Works on both Isis/Octalink (probably what your Race Face is) and square taper cranks for future use.
Old 05-10-22, 11:27 PM
gribbly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thankyou all, this is great advice 🙏
Old 05-11-22, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Thankyou all, this is great advice 🙏
Well please up date us with what ever solves your issue for you. Even if it turns out to be none of the above.

Otherwise 20 or 30 years from now some other person will resurrect this thread saying they have the same issue and want to know what you did to solve it. <grin>
Old 05-23-22, 07:51 PM
gribbly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK I got it off! I needed the right tools for the job - I got a crankpuller and a bottom bracket socket (took the frame to my local bike store and had them recommend the right tools). I wasn't able to get the self-extracting to work (I think they are supposed to be self-extracting)... I felt too much resistance didn't know how much was "normal" and didn't want to break or bend anything.

All good, and now I have the tools for re-assembly.
Likes For gribbly:
Old 05-24-22, 02:38 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
OK I got it off! I needed the right tools for the job - I got a crankpuller and a bottom bracket socket (took the frame to my local bike store and had them recommend the right tools). I wasn't able to get the self-extracting to work (I think they are supposed to be self-extracting)... I felt too much resistance didn't know how much was "normal" and didn't want to break or bend anything.

All good, and now I have the tools for re-assembly.
You won't need the crank extractor to reassemble, it is only for removal.

Put a little grease on the spindle before positioning the crank are and give it a hit with a rubber mallet to seat it before reinstalling the bolt