Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Priming aluminum for paint

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 09:47 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

Is there a special primer needed for painting aluminum frames?

Also, Is it o/k to sand blast aluminum? I have almost all the paint off the frame ( chem strip and scraping/ sanding) but there are still bits of paint at the weld beads.
Old 05-22-22, 10:29 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
A wire brush should work on removing the paint at the welds. For priming, self-etching primer is good for aluminum. I do a coat, lightly wet sand, and do another coat. That should help to hide any light scratching on the aluminum. As for bead blasting, I have never had one done, but do not see a problem with having it done. Bead blasting, not sand, is less destructive to the metal.
Old 05-24-22, 05:58 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
... Bead blasting, not sand, is less destructive to the metal.
There is a whole spectrum of blasting media, from walnut shells and corncobs to baking soda and plastic beads; a discussion with one or more folks who do this kind of work might yield an even better solution.
Old 05-24-22, 06:12 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Good advice given so far. Make sure it's a self-etching primer. Auto parts stores that supply auto-painting supplies will carry it.

Sounds like you already have the frame stripped. I wouldn't worry about paint flecks in the welds. They'll disappear under the primer and subsequent paint coats.
Old 05-24-22, 11:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Use some good degreaser made for prepping the surface for the primer. A real paint shop (like an auto body specialty shop) can advise you on the proper prep and priming materials. Yea, the products might cost more than at Home Depot or Autozone, but the advice can make the difference between a durable, long lasting finiish and problems.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-25-22, 12:15 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Did a little on line research and decided on Rustoleum Aluminum primer. After scraping and stripping I used my sand blaster just to clean up the welds after soaking them in Clean strip paint remover. The paint bubbled up and mostly just scraped off with a disposable box cutter knife. I then sanded the aluminum with 400 grit paper, washed down under the shower with hot water, wiped down with acetone, agitated the paint thoroughly and finally sprayed the white primer. I have to say the primer went on beautifully.
The solvent in it is mostly acetone and it dries very fast, making runs easy to avoid. I will wait a few days to be sure it is dry then top coat with Rustoleum color and finish with Rustoleum Automotive clear.