Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Turkey Day Ride

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Phoenix Turkey Day Ride

Old 11-08-13, 06:07 PM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Phoenix Turkey Day Ride

The Phoenix Turkey Day Ride is coming up and I thought it would be fun to put a C&V riding team together. The 2013 event marks the 31st year the ride has been held. The ride starts early in the morning (6:30 am) on Thanksgiving Day, allowing the riders time to do the ride and then have plenty of time for family activities later in the day. There are lots of traditions associated with this ride. More information here: https://www.turkeydayride.com/

The route starts at Camelback and Central Avenue and goes straight down Central Avenue to South Mountain Park, ascends South Mountain, and then returns to the start. It's about 38 miles R/T with a challenging climb and great descent in the middle of the ride. Here is the route on MapMyRide

I did the ride for the first time last year and it was a blast! There were well over 200 riders and it was quite a scene when the group queued up at the start on Central Avenue with 200+ red blinky lights flashing. The best part was the feeling of contentment I felt after the ride and how satisfying Thanksgiving Dinner was later in the day.

Since I live in the neighborhood located right behind the start, I plan to offer my house as a staging location prior to the ride. Hot lattes, cappuccinos, coffee, croissants, and biscotti will be served to help us get warmed up and ready to ride! PM me or post here if interested.

Craig

1982 Nishiki Cresta
Old 11-08-13, 07:05 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This could be a blast, anybody have a Campy compatible 13-26 7 speed freewheel? Or I suppose I could ride my De Rosa for this ride. I'm definitely interested.
Old 11-08-13, 09:27 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Neat! I hope this ride comes off with a lot of AZ C&V rider support. WNG and myself rode up South Mountain last January during my visit and it was great

DD
Old 11-08-13, 09:29 PM
Saguaro

Chris, I can't help you with the freewheel, but you're a strong rider. Ride the De Rosa if that works for you but I'd love to see you on the Pogliaghi Strada. Put the old pedals and toe clips back on and rock it!

Last edited by Saguaro; 11-09-13 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 12:03 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Sounds like a fun event! Barring something unexpected, count me in. I had a great time my first ride up South Mtn.
Old 11-09-13, 01:45 PM
Saguaro

Cool! Glad to have you on board Will. South Mountain is a great ride. A lot of people do it out of the parking lot at the base of the mountain, but adding the Central Avenue section makes it even better IMHO.
Old 11-09-13, 01:50 PM
kgoings

Bikes: 14 Cannondale EVO SuperSix 5 105

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a Vintage bike, but I might have my first road bike by then. Sounds like a fun ride! I might be in for this!

New to the board, glad to see some Phoenix folks on here.
Old 11-09-13, 02:31 PM
Saguaro

Welcome to the forums! Phoenicians are pretty well represented around here.

The vast majority of Turkey Day riders are on carbon fiber bikes. I saw a few classics mixed in but they were few and far between. I think I may have been the only one using toe clips
Old 11-09-13, 04:15 PM
cbresciani

Bikes: Colnago C40 HP, De Rosa-Primato, Titus Ti FCR, MOOTS YBB-SL, Pogliaghi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kgoings
I don't have a Vintage bike, but I might have my first road bike by then. Sounds like a fun ride! I might be in for this!

New to the board, glad to see some Phoenix folks on here.
I might have an 84 Guerciotti ALAN frameset available if your looking to get into a nice vintage ride? And welcome to the board!
Old 11-21-13, 11:07 PM
Saguaro

So we have rain tonight in Phoenix, but the weather forecast for Thanksgiving Day is favorable.
Lo 53, Hi. 73. Mostly Sunny. Sounds like ideal riding conditions!

Last edited by Saguaro; 11-21-13 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-28-13, 09:21 AM
Saguaro

Posting from the top of South Mountain! Riding with WNG. Beautiful day in Phoenix , perfect weather. Will post pictures later. Big downhill ahead. Woo hoo!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-28-13, 10:30 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Saguaro
Posting from the top of South Mountain! Riding with WNG. Beautiful day in Phoenix , perfect weather. Will post pictures later. Big downhill ahead. Woo hoo!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Enjoy the downhill - hi Will!

There in spirit...

Happy Thanksgiving!

DD
Old 11-28-13, 12:18 PM
Saguaro

The downhill was awesome as always! Couldn't ask for better weather. Pictures as promised:

View from the Dobbins Overlook toward downtown Phoenix at the top of our ride.

Our trusty steeds. On the left, my 1982 Nishiki Cresta, and on the right, Wills' Benotto.

Happy campers! This photo was taken by one of the members of the Arizona State Cycling Team we met on top. Go Devils!
Time to get ready for the big feast. Thanks Will for riding with me today! Happy Thanksgiving!
Likes For Saguaro:
Old 11-28-13, 02:20 PM
cbresciani

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I missed it! I couldn't get away this morning, but at least I got in a short ride. We'll definitely have to plan another C&V ride. You guys look great, does'nt even look like you worked up a sweat!
Old 11-28-13, 08:49 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I did something a bit less ambitious at 0630 this morning -- 25-mile Coast Highway 101 loop to the top of the Torrey Pines hill (outside the park, not the steeper inside road, which I have done about as frequently), for those familiar with La Jolla. The weather was similar to what you experienced. This was my first ride on the Bianchi road bike after several weeks of just the mountain bike, so I was a bit wobbly/twitchy in the crosswind for the first couple of miles, but it definitely was fun after that.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-29-13, 10:23 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I just woke from my turkey induced coma....nice pics from Dobbins Overlook!

It was a great time to be out with Saguaro and his riding buddies (one with a lovely DeRosa) and hundreds of other riders at 6:30am! Quite a sight as a sea of LED-lit bikes take over downtown Phoenix. We got a couple of admiring views and comments from CF and aluminum riders for our C&V steel. It was nippy out, but warmed up by the end.
I deposited my customary Rock at the Summit....Saguaro forgot again this year to drop his rocks and now has two to his credit! That's three next year!

Thanks goes out to Saguaro for his patience as I slugged it out with my C&V gearing up the mountain. Downhill was as exciting as I remembered it back in January. Unfortunately, my camera broke and no gratuitous high speed photos of us this time.

Happy Turkey Day Jeff!

At the pre-dawn roll-out...

PHX Turkey Day Ride-001 by WNG555, on Flickr

At the base....Checking out the new kit on the Nishiki Cresta....

PHX Turkey Day Ride-003 by WNG555, on Flickr

At the base, my Benotto, cactus, and carving on a rock....refueling for the climb....

PHX Turkey Day Ride-002 by WNG555, on Flickr

Riders enjoying the downhill speed thrill....

PHX Turkey Day Ride-018 by WNG555, on Flickr

PHX Turkey Day Ride-019 by WNG555, on Flickr

At an overlook, with Downtown Phoenix visible, we started north of there....

PHX Turkey Day Ride-015 by WNG555, on Flickr
Old 11-24-16, 11:10 AM
Saguaro

The 34th Phoenix Turkey Day Ride 2016 is in the books! Perfect conditions, I rode my Tommasini this year. Saw a Dominics branded Tommasini on the ride, also a '91, that was a first for me. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-25-16, 10:11 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Thanks for reviving the old thread, good to see some old faces that aren't around anymore.

The Tommasini looks great and you have plent of water to get you through the desert.
Old 11-25-16, 03:47 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great riding scenary for Turkey Day!
Old 11-23-17, 12:24 PM
Saguaro

Another picture perfect Phoenix Turkey Day Ride today! 60 degrees at the start, 70 degrees at the finish. This year marks the 35th Anniversary ride. Photos look just like last year. Rode the '91 Tommasini again. Shaved a full 5 minutes off my climb time up South Mountain. Training is paying off. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Old 11-05-21, 10:42 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 817 Posts
It may be a few years late, but I just discovered this thread through a web search on "Phoenix Turkey Day Ride". The main turkeydayride.com website is having its usual annual glitches, so I thought I'd search to see what the plans were for 2021. The 2020 ride was "cancelled", but some people showed up and rode anyway.

I've been doing this ride off & on since 1981 (the second-ever one). Back then, I raced with Joel Nelson, Scott Foster, Greg Sumerall, and John Brush in PCCC. As the years progressed and my weight went in the opposite direction of my peak VO2, I still try to show up each year on the same bike I raced on in the early 80s and see old friends and new faces for a few hours.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 11-07-21, 01:30 PM
joluja 
_______

Bikes: Merckx Corsa Extra, Ciocc Mockba, Zeus Victoria, Serotta CDA, Willier Cento 1SR, Pinarello FP Quattro, Teledyne Titan, Chesini Arena Precision 83, Denti Master, De Rosa 35th Anniversario, 3Rensho Super Record, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Klein Rascal

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 31 Posts
Such a great ride and tradition! I would be surprised if it doesn’t happen this year. Would be great to see a bunch of vintage out this year.
Old 11-07-21, 09:28 PM
2wheeljonz 

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Titanium, AX, '74 Raleigh International, Velo Orange Randonneur, Trek 7600, Fuji Touring Series V, DeRosa, Miami Vice Ironman, Eddy Merckx 10th Anniversary

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 22 Posts
Central is now torn up from down town to at Broadway for light rail construction. Any idea of the route this year?
Mel
Old 11-07-21, 09:55 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I just arrived in town (and had my first ride) yesterday, and plan to be here through then end of November; so, yeah, I'm in even if the official ride doesn't happen.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 11-07-21 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-25-21, 02:46 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 817 Posts
Another great ride this year! A bit of "pavé" on Central Avenue in the light rail work zone and the road up & down the mountain is starting to get bumpy in a few spots, but overall a great time. The folks on gravel bikes didn't seem to mind as much. Good to see all the "experienced riders" again plus some new faces. And then had a good post-ride breakfast with a former PCCC teammate from the 1980s, reminiscing about the good(?) ol' days of epic rides (and crashes). Only 365 days until we do it again...

Still disgruntled I didn't get a picture of Greg "Hamster" Sumrall on the late 70s Centurion with the Super Mighty cranks and the upright bars.
Likes For RCMoeur:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.