Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

We can all fire our coaches!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

We can all fire our coaches!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 10:21 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcphx
I did almost every race within a two hour drive and raced multiple races at crits, I think 16 races last year? There aren't that many to dedicate your life to.
I've raced in Tennessee and in New England. While you can manage to race pretty much every week during the season in Tennessee, especially if you're willing to make some longer drives, there's really no comparison. Certainly doing 60+ races a year in the South is all but impossible without crazy hours on the road; even in New England, with a much higher population density and much bigger race scene, that would be tough, probably because of weather limiting the season a lot more. mattm's particular area of CA has both good weather for racing during most of the year and a reasonably high density of races. That's quite rare. I mean, you can race on the road in JANUARY. In most of the country, that's just laughable.

Originally Posted by tetonrider
for the grad student living on ramen making $10k a year but with more free time, maybe it's harder to justify.
Having been a grad student - LOL. Otherwise good post, though.
Old 01-10-15, 10:24 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I think at this point it's clear I do. I can go into more detail if necessary.
Originally Posted by TMonk
OK, now i feel like a dick
Old 01-10-15, 10:28 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
mmmmm...now that's a proper spot
Old 01-10-15, 10:38 PM
grolby

Oh, and no one wants my opinion on the actual argument here. But as a guy-who-has-been-coached-but-for-various-reasons-mostly-related-to-my-life-it-didn't-work-and-I'm-not-now-but-I-suppose-I-could-be-in-the-future-maybe-but-also-maybe-not, here it is. I'm as sick of this argument as anyone, but Fudgy and matt, you guys consistently come off as waaaaay dickier on this subject by constantly feeling the need to snark at coached riders/coaches/coaching.

And the posting of memes, as though to say "LOL how silly are teh FEELs" when you KNOW that you are poking the bear when you don't have to, that's honestly kind of emotionally cowardly, if I can say such a thing about something as trivial as an Internet message board. Or will that get me accused of feel-having? Oh dear.
Old 01-10-15, 11:12 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
mattm's particular area of CA has both good weather for racing during most of the year and a reasonably high density of races. That's quite rare. I mean, you can race on the road in JANUARY. In most of the country, that's just laughable.
In WA the racing didn't start until March, and ended in August. And rain from October to June basically.

No coach there either, and I upgraded to a 2. Point being this really has not much to do with CA.

At any rate, it is what it is. We've all said our pieces and nobody is backing down. It's a real Mexican Standoff we got here!

my race videos
Old 01-11-15, 12:36 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

And the posting of memes, as though to say "LOL how silly are teh FEELs" when you KNOW that you are poking the bear when you don't have to, that's honestly kind of emotionally cowardly, if I can say such a thing about something as trivial as an Internet message board. Or will that get me accused of feel-having? Oh dear.

Tmonk says he feels like a dick. I post a _hilarious_ picture of the feels guy spotting the frogface who is squatting with a motivation quote about feelings. Explain how it is emotionally cowardly. Here I am.

You project what you like onto my posts, but I have said what, 5 times in this thread alone that people should get coaches if they want to and disregard others opinions on the subject. I literally cannot say it more clearly. Get a coach if you want and scrape up the minimum amount of self confidence that you've made an OK decision regardless of other's opinions.

I reserve the right to criticize terrible analogies and passive aggressive posts calling me passive aggressive.

You ever notice how Ex or Kwaki never get twisted up over obvious jokes? Try living with a little confidence sometime. For a bunch of allegedly type-A bike racers I've never seen more cases of rice-paper skin.

Here, just for you if you need it: Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK.

Feeling better everyone? Go ahead and get a coach if you want. It's going to be alright.

p.s. I'm hiring a coach for TT work.

j/k I'm not.
Old 01-11-15, 12:56 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,148 Times in 1,657 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
mmmmm...now that's a proper spot

Old 01-11-15, 01:09 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The frontsies spot is awkward the first two times, just natural after that though.
Old 01-11-15, 02:07 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
i love this
I celebrate his whole post collection. He even quoted me once! I have that thread hanging up on my wall. Right next to my poster of him winning a race.

Sometimes I'll cry myself to sleep when he makes a dig on California but my keep telling myself its a generalization and nothing to do with me. Incessant compliments do not seem to get him to notice me. My next tactic for attention will be to make passive aggressive insults at Cat 5 racers. Just gotta make sure they are geographically too far away to retaliate.
Old 01-11-15, 06:19 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Tmonk says he feels like a dick. I post a _hilarious_ picture of the feels guy spotting the frogface who is squatting with a motivation quote about feelings. Explain how it is emotionally cowardly. Here I am.

You project what you like onto my posts, but I have said what, 5 times in this thread alone that people should get coaches if they want to and disregard others opinions on the subject. I literally cannot say it more clearly. Get a coach if you want and scrape up the minimum amount of self confidence that you've made an OK decision regardless of other's opinions.

I reserve the right to criticize terrible analogies and passive aggressive posts calling me passive aggressive.

You ever notice how Ex or Kwaki never get twisted up over obvious jokes? Try living with a little confidence sometime. For a bunch of allegedly type-A bike racers I've never seen more cases of rice-paper skin.

Here, just for you if you need it: Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK. Get a coach if you want. It's OK.

Feeling better everyone? Go ahead and get a coach if you want. It's going to be alright.

p.s. I'm hiring a coach for TT work.

j/k I'm not.
I lack confidence? lol

I'm certain the obfuscation you throw around is an internet personality that you consider hilarious. Mostly what's being said is it's not. You keep explaining how it is.

My post wasn't passive-aggressive it was aggressive. And it's question was why some guys post snide remarks every time someone mentions a coach.Then in each post you say the same 'get a coach if you want' you again throw in a snide remark.

I asked a very basic question. Why does that opinion need to be expressed with the barb every time?
the answer is you think it's hilarious.
people are saying it's not. you're saying you don't care.
no one really says 'guys who self coach are clueless morons trying to figure out what an elephant is'

then your feelings are hurt because I call a passive-aggressive post, passive-aggressive

and then you name guys I should inspire to be because they didn't get embroiled in this with you?

So hey guy who likes to toss the troll word around a lot. Sounds a lot like you're trolling. And me not rolling over needs to be spun some way in order for you to score the interweb win. The question stands though. Why the barbs? It's pretty simple to have a discussion around coaching (the same one, but every discussion on here for about 10 years has been just recycled) that goes - hey I did it myself. Here are some places you can get info. Or, hey I did it myself and so did a bunch of guys.

When you pitch for a fight and then deny that's what you're doing it makes you a coward. You do that time and again here. you want a reaction and then when you get a reaction it's someone else's thin skin. Welp, my skin isn't thin, I'm surely not insecure. I'm not even mad. I'm asking the honest question which is why do you continually pollute this place with that level of interaction? These are people here you interact with every single day. Why does the baseline discourse need to be something like a game of dozens from the old neighborhood? I asked because I want to know, which is what I said from the start. I wasn't even talking to you. I asked Matt if there was some reason he didn't like coaches (there may be). I (half) jokingly asked if he hated guys who used coaches. The snark and deny may well be cultural. i.e. a california thing. I've read more than once west coast guys saying east coast guys are difficult to understand, or aggressive, or this or that. I guess that's ok? Give and take. But I asked because I want to know.

The leap is from "I don't think a coach is worth it to me."
to
"I wonder if D&D guys have coaches." i.e. "This isn't diffusing <sic> bombs." And while it may not be, the repeated one line snark towards the guys that use or advocate coaches contains that snarky superiority that I've referred to previously.

Last edited by gsteinb; 01-11-15 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-11-15, 09:47 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Turns out, yes they do:

That was pretty amazing.
Old 01-12-15, 07:29 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I was responding directly to matt's D&D post. I realize you think you guys should be able to say whatever you want and do the nah nah nah I'm joking, or you shouldn't care what I think thing, and that's fine. But you really don't get to have it both ways. If you're going to dish it out you're going to get it back in return.
Good luck with that.
Old 01-12-15, 12:16 PM
grolby

Hey, Fudgy, too busy doing ridiculous things this weekend to come back and "explain" myself. But I think I already explained myself. You never own what you're doing. Even posting an image in response to Tmonk is really not just about what Tmonk said, it's a meta-comment on everyone who is calling you out on being passive-aggressive, and it's the same move you make every time. If anyone responds to you, they're taking you too seriously, they have too many feels, they're "projecting" things onto your posts.

Here's a clue: if you think people continually project supposedly unintended messages into your posts, and this has happens over and over again over a period of years, it is something YOU are doing, not them. But of course, I don't think it's projection at all, because I'm sure you know what's going to happen every time. And yeah, you - once again - go to the same stupid well of saying the problem is that everyone has "rice-paper skin," and of course giving a crap, even if we're not even angry, is something defective with us. What? People like me, gary and you have stuck around on this board for a while, and that's a pretty sure sign that you do give enough of a **** to not just leave. Like gary, I'm not mad, I don't dislike you, but there's all this "feels = you lose" nonsense of yours that presumes ANY objection raised to you starting **** comes from hurt feelings. But it's really nothing more than frustration that you continuously feel compelled to poke the bear*, for no obvious reason, and then deny that you're doing it. There's no reason you can't put your two cents in the question of getting a coach or not, but for some reason your two cents is always a dig.

*not a reference to a specific poster
Old 01-12-15, 02:17 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
If those posts were directed at a newly minted cat 5 or just someone inquiring about racing, there would be no issue. Its a bit hypocritical when established forum members gang up on new posters (which is cowardly), then call a truce when it happens to one of their own. A member of the higher caste in the 33 gets the same treatment and suddenly there is a problem. Either we change the culture to be like the 41 and strictly moderate it, or keep it as is where sometimes threads get a tad bit insensitive. I vote for the latter.

Last edited by furiousferret; 01-12-15 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 02:27 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been standing back and observing from afar for months now. I see things a bit differently than when I was actually getting involved in these dramatic sessions.

Just live and let live. Someone's acting in a way you don't like? Telling them is a sure fire way to escalate.

Maybe it's partly due to the esthetic of bike racing. Attacking, taking advantage of others' weaknesses, finding sneaky ways to win, etc.

That stuff works great in racing, poorly in interpersonal dynamics (although it's pretty common, and certainly not confined to this place or even the internet at large)
Old 01-12-15, 02:48 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
If those posts were directed at a newly minted cat 5 or just someone inquiring about racing, there would be no issue. Its a bit hypocritical when established forum members gang up on new posters (which is cowardly), then call a truce when it happens to one of their own. A member of the higher caste in the 33 gets the same treatment and suddenly there is a problem. Either we change the culture to be like the 41 and strictly moderate it, or keep it as is where sometimes threads get a tad bit insensitive. I vote for the latter.
red herring. all the posters here are seasoned thus your allegation isn't apt. I also don't see any truce being called (unless if people were directed by PM to keep mum).
Old 01-12-15, 04:50 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hey, Fudgy, too busy doing ridiculous things this weekend to come back and "explain" myself. But I think I already explained myself. You never own what you're doing. Even posting an image in response to Tmonk is really not just about what Tmonk said, it's a meta-comment on everyone who is calling you out on being passive-aggressive, and it's the same move you make every time. If anyone responds to you, they're taking you too seriously, they have too many feels, they're "projecting" things onto your posts.
So, I totally don't get why you're mad.
@TMonk was my reply to you offensive?
@grolby would you feel better if you knew the last time someone asked me in a pm about training I advised that they follow through and get the coach they were thinking of? Because that's what I did. I'm sorry you legit can't read my words for words. I realize they might be blurry from your tears of being constantly offended. Perhaps a tissue first, next time?

^^ see, not passive aggressive in any way. I'm overcoming my emotional cowardice to make a joke about you being offended a lot; and I mentioned you and quoted you to be sure you saw it. Anyway, please don't quit bike racing because of said joke. It's just a joke and I legit believe that we have much more in common than these current differences would make it seem.
Old 01-12-15, 06:05 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
red herring. all the posters here are seasoned thus your allegation isn't apt. I also don't see any truce being called (unless if people were directed by PM to keep mum).
I think you misunderstood. I think what @furiousferret was saying is that newbies are attacked in other threads and established posters are ok with it, there is the feeling that newbies are fair game.

But here is this thread everyone is an established poster so there's lots of chiming in to 'knock it off'.

Maybe I got the gist wrong, but that's how I read it.
Old 01-12-15, 07:30 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late to the party and don't feel like reading all this, but I'm seeing fists and feet everywhere!
Can anyone summarize in one sentence?
Old 01-12-15, 07:37 PM
grolby

So, I totally don't get why you're mad.
@grolby would you feel better if you knew the last time someone asked me in a pm about training I advised that they follow through and get the coach they were thinking of? Because that's what I did. I'm sorry you legit can't read my words for words. I realize they might be blurry from your tears of being constantly offended. Perhaps a tissue first, next time?

^^ see, not passive aggressive in any way. I'm overcoming my emotional cowardice to make a joke about you being offended a lot; and I mentioned you and quoted you to be sure you saw it. Anyway, please don't quit bike racing because of said joke. It's just a joke and I legit believe that we have much more in common than these current differences would make it seem.
I can only conclude that you have issues to work through.
Old 01-12-15, 07:44 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCA
Late to the party and don't feel like reading all this, but I'm seeing fists and feet everywhere!
Can anyone summarize in one sentence?
How about an image? I really think this sums it up, is funny, and honestly deserves more traction!

my race videos
Old 01-12-15, 07:49 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mattm, thnx
gsteinb wrote a cdr novel; is this real life?
Old 01-12-15, 07:53 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
uhhh...it's internet bikes, that's as real as it gets.
Old 01-12-15, 10:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,148 Times in 1,657 Posts
No, but I also interpreted your feels meme (hilarious btw) as really directed towards @gsteinb, not myself.
Old 01-12-15, 11:35 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No, but I also interpreted your feels meme (hilarious btw) as really directed towards @gsteinb, not myself.
Well, it wasn't meant to be a multi-layer meme; I'm getting too much credit. But @gsteinb or anyone shouldn't feel bad about caring about something anyway. That's my entire presence in this thread. I personally am not paying for coaching, but everyone getting twisted up at @mattm for his "coaching isn't a requirement" stance is putting way too much weight into his preference.

Look how hard I try at this sport. Damn!

Embrace your feelings, dudes! Namaste, brothers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.