Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 10:42 AM
cb3

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac sl4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
Great job! was looking forward to that race but din't make
Missed a good one with relatively clean racing save a finishing stretch crash on saturday. Will you be out at Tour of Corsicana in a couple of weeks?
Old 02-29-16, 10:52 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb3
Missed a good one with relatively clean racing save a finishing stretch crash on saturday. Will you be out at Tour of Corsicana in a couple of weeks?
Sounds like a fun race. I can't do tour of corsicana it's on my 3 year old's b-day

I raced Bat City (Formerly Walburg) on Saturday and the WIND was a major factor..65 starts with 30 finshers, was 20th then raced Pacebend Sunday.
Next one is Sealy road race here in Houston. You should come down and race.
Old 02-29-16, 12:19 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
where are the Chico GC results?
Old 02-29-16, 12:23 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
where are the Chico GC results?
best I could find was by sifting through the One2Go twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/one2go_results
Old 02-29-16, 12:36 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Awesome! One of these days I'll run into you at a race! That was my first time doing that race, fun course!
My first time too. I thought a breakaway would take so I covered moves the first two laps, but it never happened. Congrats!

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Missed that, robabeatle. I saw the video, quite the grunt. Congrats!
Haha thanks.
Old 02-29-16, 12:38 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Awesome! One of these days I'll run into you at a race! That was my first time doing that race, fun course!
Originally Posted by hack
congrats to both of you
Thanks. The reason I post these good results here is that I have learned a lot of the theory from you guys and this forum deserves credit in helping many learn to race. Otherwise, I lurk and read.
Old 02-29-16, 01:05 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Exxonmobil Heads or Tails TT, Cat 4 - 1st place
The course was 4 loops of a 10K out-and-back, so a 'slow' course due to all the turnarounds (at one end it was a u-turn lane, but still sharp enough that you lost a fair bit of speed). Tailwind on the first leg, headwind coming back. I decided to try to do a negative split for each lap rather than overall, so that I wouldn't lose too much time on the early headwind segments. I still need to work on my TT pacing, I tend to drop down to sweetspot power unless I keep a close eye on the garmin. Faded a little on the headwind section of the 3rd lap, so eased up a little bit on the last tailwind section and was able to finish strong in the final headwind stretch. Beat my (agressive) personal time goal by 6 seconds, so pretty happy overall.

Pace Bend Road Race Cat 4, pack finish
7 laps of a 6.1 mile circuit. Very sketch race despite being a close course with no centerline rule. Had to ride off-road to avoid an early crash, almost coming to a stop but managed to stay upright and chase back on. Another crash in front of me last in the last lap, I managed to thread the needle between several downed riders but lost some momentum and wasn't in good position coming into the uphill finish. Ended up somewhere in the front half of the pack, didn't stick around for final results since we had fairly long drive home. So far my experience in straight Cat 4 races has me missing Cat 5, I'm seeing way more crashes in Cat 4 races than I saw racing Cat 5 last year.
Great job on the TT results. I was watching ya'll crash but 40+ had the nastiest crash 1 lap to go. It's funny everyone is careful on the 90 deg downhill turn but the last corner 3k to go seemed to crash every category.
Old 02-29-16, 01:10 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday:
Rockdale (close to Austin) CAT 4/5. We got our teamate in the break so my job was to monitor any organized bridges and thankfully none. Wind was a major factor as guys got dropped one after another. 2 miles of pot holes and gravel with some rollers. Finished 26th
Sunday:
Pacebend (mad house)- closed course with rollers and two 90 deg turns. Pack finish, my legs had plenty of action on Saturday
Stomach flu 3 days before these races did me.
Old 02-29-16, 02:06 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
Great job on the TT results. I was watching ya'll crash but 40+ had the nastiest crash 1 lap to go. It's funny everyone is careful on the 90 deg downhill turn but the last corner 3k to go seemed to crash every category.
Yeah some close calls in that first downhill right turn, but no crashes there in our race. Our last-lap crash was actually a bit earlier than the final corner, in the gusty headwind section the accordion affect just caught some riders off guard I think.

How was the new course on Saturday, overall and specifically the "Texas Cobblestones" section?
Old 02-29-16, 02:17 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Yeah some close calls in that first downhill right turn, but no crashes there in our race. Our last-lap crash was actually a bit earlier than the final corner, in the gusty headwind section the accordion affect just caught some riders off guard I think.

How was the new course on Saturday, overall and specifically the "Texas Cobblestones" section?
-New course was WINDY with rollers, Texas cobbles were 2 mile long, some bike jarring holes but i think that scared folks so everyone was slowing a bit with a sharp 80 deg corner onto the main road.
Old 02-29-16, 03:10 PM
Andy STi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job @hack

Chico was fun but the 6 hour drive home last night sucked! I'm feeling it at work today - poor me.
Old 02-29-16, 08:59 PM
buzz_1919

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
Colossal Cave RR today: sprint for the win! I can upgrade now to 3s but will likely wait to help a few teammates out.
Nice job man, our plan was to attack until our legs fell off -- really fun race. Unfortunately I flatted (no wheel support, ugh!). That was my teammate taking 2nd (his grunting needs some work).

Congrats!
Old 02-29-16, 09:42 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Chico Stage Race cat 3/4

Stage 2, Saturday, Holiday Inn Road Race

The main reason I was there was for the 90 mile road race. 2 laps of rolling hills, a bit of crappy pavement, 4 miles of gravel followed immediately by a VO2 climb, then crosswinds. Chose not to spend my energy fighting for position before the gravel, and instead used it to close the gaps in the gravel. Went for a breakaway with 60 miles to go (my strength, if they let us get far enough up the road). So when a few more bridged up to bring us to 7 with 30" on the pack, we hit it hard to try and get a cushion. But the pack saw the danger and chased like mad (I heard later the pace was painfully high). That was the only significant break effort.

Still, many had popped off or flatted on the gravel. But the 4/5s behind us had a single lap race and were going faster, so we were neutralized for a bit to let them by, and dead weight from gravel pass 1 caught back on.

So the next time through the gravel I had to pass them all again. An insane chase on the hill out of the gravel brought a few of us back to the thinned pack. Once I recovered, and pack was letting a solo rider OTF get a minute and increasing, I made a couple efforts and got clear. I was gaining good time on solo guy, but then the pack started chasing. I put my head down and picked up the pace, hoping it was merely a surge to be dampened by my large gap.

But alas, after 10 minutes the field came by strung out, guttered in the cross winds. And I was foolish enough to let them up the right side. And so I spent 10 minutes clinging for wheels for dear life, and another 10 off the back with frantic stragglers giving all they had to claw back on.

It came down to 2 of us turning ourselves inside out as the pack hovered 5 seconds ahead, but we made it. And suddenly it was easy. Except for the cramps that threatened if I got out of the saddle.

28 of us reamining. 3k out, still rolling easy, move up. 1k out, still easy, move up. 500m take off... yes I'm holding mid pack! 200m, try to spin as hard as I can while I watch 27 guys finish in front of me. But I made the lead group!
Old 02-29-16, 10:25 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I don't like gravel in RR's. One of the reasons I didn't send junior (same for PR), but clearly I'm in the minority.
Old 03-01-16, 06:10 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzz_1919
Nice job man, our plan was to attack until our legs fell off -- really fun race. Unfortunately I flatted (no wheel support, ugh!). That was my teammate taking 2nd (his grunting needs some work).

Congrats!
Hey Buzz, not sure we ever met but my teammates know you. Hope to see you out there again.
Old 03-01-16, 03:07 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Chico Stage Race Report- 55+ 1/2/3/4

Tough field with a WC and multiple Nats guy, along with several of the Nats TT podium. Several out of staters.

First race since September. To paraphrase Allen Iverson: “man, it’s February. We’re talking about February. Not Nationals in May. We’re talking about FEBRUARY”

Friday: Stage 1- Thunderhill Raceway Circuit. Auto racing track with a couple of short but hard climbs. Thing about race tracks like this is if they get wet, they turn really slick because of all the rubber and oil. Back in the day I broke my back in a 100+ MPH crash during a Moto GP race when it started raining. And the last time I raced in the rain I ended up with 4 more broken vertebrae.

Dry all day. We lined up and the sky opened up. Soaked. I was, to understate, cautious.

Hadn’t ridden the course before. “Slight climb” was more like “steep kicker” and there was another one minute and change 6% climb that wore down folks as the race went on. The “let’s all ride 400-500w” type.

Did I mention the blind decreasing radius left that I almost went mud surfing in at the exit? I nailed this on the last lap, but the first time through it was ugly.

Threw in a couple of attacks but the legs weren’t showing a lot of love so I surfed at the front and played for the finish. Had it perfectly set up, third wheel coming out of the final corner. Just went too early. Pedaled squares for the group time. Some guys got bonuses and a bit of separation. Sitting pretty in 30[SUP]th[/SUP] or something. Few guys got dropped, two of the big hitters had mechanicals.

Saturday: Paskenta Road Race: 45 mile thing with 4 miles of rolling gravel at mile 11, preceded by 2 miles of potholes. Hit the gravel first and threw in a big charge. Hammered it out till WC goes flying past. Dropped a big effort and pull that back then NC goes. Oh what fun. Figure its time someone else did the work so we traded off and exited the gravel with 10 guys several dusty miles later. My two teammates are gone.

I’m hurting and nearly come off on the climb right after the gravel but hang.

Around 5-6 guys manage to catch our front group.

Much attacking ensued. I start getting those “man, it’s February” type cramps. Two guys got away and WC, who had flatted in the circuit race and was 9 minutes down did the lion’s share of keeping the guys close. Me and another guy contributed, which meant on the finishing climb I went backwards. Finished 13[SUP]th[/SUP] with a group. A really hard 1:45 on the bike.

Apparently there was daylight between my front wheel and the next guys rear wheel so I get docked 4 seconds. Really?

I just didn’t have the energy to make them look at the video, results weren’t posted for two hours and I was napping at that point back at the hotel.

Sunday Crit: Figured I’d gamble on the TT. Weaved through a crash early on. Found the biggest guy I could and rode 27 MPH on 200 watts to 7[SUP]th[/SUP]. Didn’t even sprint. I giggled. Half the field went OTB and got lapped/neutralized.

Sunday TT: Went to put on my skin suit and saw it still had a number glued on from Track Nats in July. I put the BMC together and rode it Tuesday and Wednesday for the first time. So with a new bike, on 3 hours of TT bike time in 7 months, and 400 TSS of racing in my legs/lumber away I went.

Finished 22:52. Officially 22:57. Unless they screwed up everybody’s time by 5s I dropped from 5[SUP]th[/SUP] to 7[SUP]th[/SUP] with that time "loss", which is where I ended up officially on GC as well. Couple years prior I had ridden 51:47 on 28 more watts, no one went under 22:07 so with actual legs, who knows. Few less brain farts on my and the officials part and I would have been 4[SUP]th[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], but I can’t be too unhappy, rode with the front guys and the gaps were tiny when you yanked out the time bonuses. Man, it’s FEBRUARY.

3 months to Nats.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 03-01-16 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-01-16, 05:54 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of excellent results here. Cheers.
Old 03-01-16, 07:30 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job Ex. IT'S FEBRUARY.
Old 03-01-16, 09:09 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Chico 3/4
Sunday

TT:
Threshold is coming along on climbs, but haven't done TT work since last year. After the road race, washed all the dirt off my bike, swapped stems, adjusted the saddle, attached clip on bars, and angled them up as an experiment (that's how I like the invisible ones).
In the TT, I was passed at mile 4, but that gave me something to chase and and keep from being lazy. Knocked a few seconds of last year's time but still pretty slow. 24:38 at about 90% of my climbing FTP.

Crit, 6 corners, 1k, 45 minutes. Lined up at the front, which served to let me drift to the back during the standard first 10 minutes of crazy. Tried moving up gradually throughout the race, but gradually wasn't good enough and was still on the back with 3 to go. Went for the aggressive move up, but only made it halfway over the next 4 minutes. Mid pack.

24/80ish GC
Old 03-02-16, 12:04 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Chico Stage Race Report- 55+ 1/2/3/4

Hadn’t ridden the course before. “Slight climb” was more like “steep kicker” and there was another one minute and change 6% climb that wore down folks as the race went on. The “let’s all ride 400-500w” type.

Did I mention the blind decreasing radius left that I almost went mud surfing in at the exit? I nailed this on the last lap, but the first time through it was ugly.
Yeah I can't imagine that course wet! That left is scary enough when it's dry...

Man, it’s FEBRUARY.
But Feb in Norcal is like June on the east coast! I've already burned out at least once.

Anyway, nice report and racing.

my race videos
Old 03-02-16, 12:39 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
But Feb in Norcal is like June on the east coast! I've already burned out at least once.

Anyway, nice report and racing.
Thanks Matt. I'm actually trying to keep some early season balance. Skiing (DH and XC) quite a bit, not looking at vacation opportunities with a "how will this affect my training" view point. Probably not a bad idea when you sit down for dinner with your peer group and can discuss the Madera SR in detail from 2007-2015
Old 03-05-16, 03:33 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lago vista 35+ 4/5's - 5th place

Rolling hills, 33 miles of 5 mile loops. Plan was to protect sprinter (who won last week) and mark stuff.

I attacked once and bridged to a couple other attacks, but nothing stuck. I was never with the right guys and I didn't go "all in" on any of them and was pretty fresh for the finish.

We pushed the pace on the final run in and got our sprinter in good position, but someone ran into him out with about 150m to go just as things were winding up. He kept it upright, but pack finish. I ended up 5th without really sprinting, more lucky with positioning than anything.

Tomorrow, they run the same course backwards. Today was nice gradual climb of ~4 minutes every lap with short steep drops before the finish. Tomorrow, the steep drops become climbs and I hate that stuff. I don't typically race the sunday version, but I'm going to give it a shot this year. The finishing group is usually less than 10 people and I know at least 5 guys racing tomorrow can drop me badly when the road gets steep. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-05-16, 03:53 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy STi
Nice job @hack

Chico was fun but the 6 hour drive home last night sucked! I'm feeling it at work today - poor me.
That's how Cascade was for me last year. I took an extra day off though and drove home the following Monday. Still hurt on Tuesday though.
Old 03-05-16, 04:59 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st place, 50+ RR Winter Haven, Florida today. 2-up break last 10 miles, won easily from 1k to go. Pee'd 7x off bike in first 3 of 4 laps. Any of my NYC area fiends race the kickoff in Central Park today?
Old 03-05-16, 05:58 PM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.