Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Clipless pedals or not?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Clipless pedals or not?

Old 11-26-18, 08:24 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Sounds more like a discussion about retention vs no retention.

Fixie straps are Velcro adjustable and allow retention with a variety of shoe types, but
I’ve never tried them. They’re $20-30 online.

I’ve never tried clipless, but I did use clips/straps briefly a year ago - cheap plastic ones with nylon straps - but they were too small, and increased complexity/difficulty with “marginal” gains (zero), well, end of experiment.

Regarding speed? You’d have to be riding pretty hard in the first place for foot retention to make any speed/time difference. I doubt most commuters are trying to shave seconds off their commute. Those using commute for training for racing are already using retention. Those trying to shave seconds off their commute NOT training for racing - I mean, if getting to work faster is your goal, the bike may not be the best tool.
Old 11-27-18, 02:34 AM
DVC45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have given up clipless pedals about a year ago. I don't miss them. Platform works just fine for me.
Old 11-27-18, 03:40 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
Because it's never been discussed before?
One reason this topic is so much repeated is because it is so typically misunderstood. Bike riders so often don't get what clipless pedal are all about.

Thing is, they're probably not necessary for the casual rider who uses his bike just to go to the market. But certainly the pro or enthusiast cyclist that rides for long distance or for many hours can absolutely benefit from having them.

While the debate rages on to whether they're more efficient or not (see out-of-saddle climbing), the one thing they do for sure is take your mind away from foot placement on the pedal. At least that much -- which means a lot over the distance -- is incontrovertible.
Old 11-27-18, 09:15 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
While the debate rages on to whether they're more efficient or not (see out-of-saddle climbing), the one thing they do for sure is take your mind away from foot placement on the pedal. At least that much -- which means a lot over the distance -- is incontrovertible.
This is true! When I ditched clipless, I faced a new dilemma, where to put my feet? But I got over it, and consider it a bonus to be able to move my feet around. The darkside of the fixed-position you get from clipless is, if you can't figure out what the 'perfect' position is, you could hurt yourself from repetitve strain over time. And in order to find/test the perfect cleat positioning, you have to get off the bike and apply a wrench.

Another benefit of typical clipless systems is the shoes have stiff soles and spread the pressure to the entire sole. But this isn't a problem for pinned platforms, which are wide enough to not apply pressure in a small area in the first place, plus your foot naturally moves around a little bit to shift the pressure and keep the circulation going. (This is well covered in the "shoes ruse" article from rivendell)
Old 11-27-18, 09:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
I mean, if getting to work faster is your goal, the bike may not be the best tool.
I'm in an unusual situation where the bike is the fastest way to work for me. The subway may beat me sometimes but only by a little bit and not reliably. It has deteriorated in recent years. Plus it's annoyinger than the bike, so the bike is the clear choice for me. Driving a car would take much more time because parking is so difficult. The only faster way would be a taxi or uber, and that's extremely expensive by comparison.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-27-18, 09:26 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Regarding speed? You’d have to be riding pretty hard in the first place for foot retention to make any speed/time difference. I doubt most commuters are trying to shave seconds off their commute. Those using commute for training for racing are already using retention. Those trying to shave seconds off their commute NOT training for racing - I mean, if getting to work faster is your goal, the bike may not be the best tool.
i'm not a racer, but i commute with clipless pedals (well, combo pedals actually) because i prefer it.

i have no delusions that clipless pedals make me appreciably faster* or more efficient, i simply prefer the sensation of having my foot locked onto the pedal. i just like it better.

other people prefer NOT having their feet locked onto the pedals. and that's 100% perfectly ok too.

this need not be "the great debate". everyone just needs to respect the fact that we all have different preferences and make our own decisions about the equipment we use based on those preferences.

(*) the only time savings clipless might actually help me with is when the little don't walk timer on the traffic light ahead of me starts its count-down "14..... 13..... 12..... 11...." and i jump out of the saddle and start hammering like a crazy mo-fo to catch the green. i LOVE being locked onto the pedals in those situations. i could also probably safely hammer with a good pinned platform and grippy shoes, but since i love riding with clipless pedals anyway, the extra layer of protection of being mechanically locked onto the pedals is a nice peace of mind thing for me. not necessary, but still nice.
Old 11-27-18, 09:35 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

On MTB clipless/platforms are both double-edged swords for me. With platforms, I once in a while get bounced off the pedals going through bumpy/rocky sections at speed. But with clipless, I sometimes fall over in technical sections at very low speeds because I can't get my foot out in time. And often, approaching a technical section when clipped in, I'll give up early because the extra risk from being clipped in; but with platforms I'm free to try harder, because if I don't make it, it's easier to put a foot down.

I enjoy looking at videos and magazine photos of professional mountain bikers and checking out their shoes/pedals; I'd say nowadays they're about 50/50 clips/platforms.
Old 11-27-18, 09:41 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
I love my platforms for commutes and tours. I tried clipless and with my touchy feet it was a no-go. I've got Shimano Saint platforms on the Voyageur and DMR V12 platforms on my Norco Indie for commutes. As a winter rider, the platform upgrade has been fantastic for keeping my Keen boots on the pedals. For summer or fair weather tour riding, I wear sandals with toe protection and they are comfy and stable all day. It works best for me.
Old 11-27-18, 09:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

The problem of not being able to unclip quickly enough goes away for some of us. I'm very quick in and out, and it hasn't hindered me in an extremely long time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-27-18, 10:12 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

On the road it's more about remembering than having enough time, and habit develops so it is not a problem for long. But MTB is different; sometimes you run into situations where you need to real quick put a foot down, and you rarely have much advance notice
Old 11-27-18, 10:17 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The problem of not being able to unclip quickly enough goes away for some of us. I'm very quick in and out, and it hasn't hindered me in an extremely long time.
That’s s what I thought until I started mountain biking. Fell over a couple times with clipless and quickly went to platforms with pins. Then had to learn about shin gouging. Pain is a great teacher.
Old 11-27-18, 10:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by alan s
That’s s what I thought until I started mountain biking. Fell over a couple times with clipless and quickly went to platforms with pins. Then had to learn about shin gouging. Pain is a great teacher.
Yes, I forgot about this part of the double-edged clipless sword. I generally have at least one scab on a shin at all times
Old 11-27-18, 01:09 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I understand that this splits both ways which are encapsulated here but I want minimum overhead when I commute and I don't like having a second set of clothes/shoes. I want to look stylish when I get off the bike to buy a coffee to get back on the bike. I also want to park the bike and go directly into the hall to deliver a lecture.
P.S. Here's another flats vs clipless experiment I ran across:
https://www.roadbikereview.com/revie...ls-on-the-road

The debate reminds me of the manual transmission vs automatic transmission debates with cars. Some people find extra effort with extra complexity rewarding. They feel more directly connected to the car/bike. But others prefer the simpler and more brainless automatic transmission. I prefer the auto transmission as I just want to get where I'm going with minimum extra work. I like biking, but the less work needed to go biking the better for me. With flats because I feel like I'm a person separate from the bike, I get on the bike to get where I'm going, then I get off it and walk directly inside. With clipless I'm like "well I biked here, so let's take a minute at each end to change shoes, etc".

I do like the improvements that better flat shoes/pedals have made in keeping a solid grip on the pedal. You've probably seen them but Five Ten makes an office-fashion pair of shoes:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-district-flats-mountain-bike-shoe/FT86.html?dwvar_FT86_color=Black&cgid=fiveten-men-bike-shoes

They make some more casual shoes to:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-sleuth-mountain-bike-shoe/FT29.html?dwvar_FT29_color=Black&cgid=fiveten-men-bike-shoes

In early 2019 they're adding another style:
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/five-ten-k...oa-sleuth-dlx/

Last edited by PaulRivers; 11-27-18 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 01:33 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
The debate reminds me of the manual transmission vs automatic transmission debates with cars. Some people find extra effort with extra complexity rewarding. They feel more directly connected to the car/bike. But others prefer the simpler and more brainless automatic transmission.
That's an interesting analogy, but really that's more like mechanical shifting vs Di2, or perhaps brifters vs downtube or indexed vs friction.

I have always preferred manual, not necessarily to "feel more directly connected", but to have a significantly simpler/lighter shifting system that saves gas (partly through less weight, but more significantly through making it easier to 'hypermile' by coasting 50+% of the time)

As for 5tens, my wife has a pair and loves them. I'm sure they are great, I know they're very popular among mountain bikers, but I've heard they run narrow, so I'm not going to even bother. (I did hear though that Adidas bought 5ten and used their stealth rubber compound on shoes for some other sport, and they might come in wide, that would be worth investigating)

Last edited by RubeRad; 11-27-18 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 02:05 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's an interesting analogy, but really that's more like mechanical shifting vs Di2, or perhaps brifters vs downtube or indexed vs friction. I have always preferred manual, not necessarily to "feel more directly connected", but to have a significantly simpler/lighter shifting system that saves gas (partly through less weight, but more significantly through making it easier to 'hypermile' by coasting 50+% of the time)
Sure, there's multiple reasons one might go with one system vs another.

As for 5tens, my wife has a pair and loves them. I'm sure they are great, I know they're very popular among mountain bikers, but I've heard they run narrow, so I'm not going to even bother. (I did hear though that Adidas bought 5ten and used their stealth rubber compound on shoes for some other sport, and they might come in wide, that would be worth investigating)
I would disagree with that opinion. I have to go with a "wide" size to be comfortable in most regular shoes and my five tens that are 1/2 size larger than I usually go are very comfortable for me. I recently had to order 2 pairs of sandals from 2 different brands bought the same size for both - one brand fits my widish feet fine, the other is to narrow.

If you have really wide feet, yeah, they might not be wide enough. My dad does and it's annoying they don't offer "wide" sizes for him. If there's an REI near you I believe they sell five tens you could try in person before buying.

My personal experience is that the freeriders do not run narrow, they run average-to-widish.
Old 11-27-18, 02:42 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Good to know. Yes I do have very wide feet. I was excited to read multiple reviews on Amazon of Keen Newport H2 sandals ("our widest sandal") of guys like me who wear a 10.5 extra wide, and found size 11 to be perfect. I tried 11 and they were so tight they constricted my blood flow and left marks on my skin. I returned them for 12, and although I could get my feet in, and I really wanted to love them, the anatomical footbed was made from a narrower anatomy than mine, and I couldn't wear them for more than half an hour or so without my feet getting sore.

Note searching the adidas website for "stealth" turns up a lot of shoes. They don't seem to offer wide sizes though.
Old 11-27-18, 04:02 PM
PaulRivers

I was excited to read multiple reviews on Amazon of Keen Newport H2 sandals ("our widest sandal") of guys like me who wear a 10.5 extra wide, and found size 11 to be perfect. I tried 11 and they were so tight they constricted my blood flow and left marks on my skin. I returned them for 12, and although I could get my feet in, and I really wanted to love them, the anatomical footbed was made from a narrower anatomy than mine, and I couldn't wear them for more than half an hour or so without my feet getting sore. Note searching the adidas website for "stealth" turns up a lot of shoes. They don't seem to offer wide sizes though.
Ah, yeah, if you have particularly wide feet that is a problem. I believe adidas/five ten sometimes let others use their material for the shoes but I'm not familiar with anything specific.

I know for wide shoes New Balance is usually the way to go. They sell 2E, 4E, 6E wide shoes. But in a quick look through their website I didn't see anything bike-specific.

My dad uses some sort of bike-specific sandals for his clipless to...but I thought they were Keen's so that's probably not helpful...
Old 11-27-18, 04:06 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yup. New Balance 10.5 4E I can order off the web and they fit perfect.
Old 11-27-18, 04:18 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Yup. New Balance 10.5 4E I can order off the web and they fit perfect.
Me, too - 12 4E. I get tired of wearing 13s sometimes. I think they look and feel like clown shoes when 1 whole size bigger.
Old 11-27-18, 05:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
But MTB is different; sometimes you run into situations where you need to real quick put a foot down, and you rarely have much advance notice
It's never been an issue for me. Even with high speed crashes, my feet are out of the pedals before I even think about it. Stalling out while climbing is another place where my feet are out of the pedals before I think about it. The key is to set the pedal tension low.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-27-18, 07:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Unlike most people (I think), I put my right foot on second and take it off first. That pedal has the tension set very low. The left one has it a little higher, though it doesn't really need to be. I have had a couple of panic stops when I pulled my feet out vertically rather than twisting them out. So it works when you pull really hard (and the tension is sufficiently low). I didn't even do it consciously.

I've had one near fall and one fall. The near fall was in 1991 when I was new to clipless and had been using toe clips since 1975. I came to a stop and couldn't get out, but I was right next to a dumpster which was shoulder high. I grabbed the dumpster and unclipped. No problem.

The other was in about 2008. I was goofing around on the grass at low speed and came to an incline I couldn't climb in the gear I was in. I fell onto the grass gently and burst out laughing at my clumsiness. My wife thought it was a stunt and asked me why I did it. She didn't know it was an accident.

So again, clipless is not for everyone, but the required skill is achievable for many of us.

I'm not super experienced at riding off road, so on those occasions, I will unclip in anticipating needing to put my foot down. Still, no problem.

Old 11-27-18, 08:01 PM
jfan

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I use clipless for all of my riding. I too like the sensation of being clipped in, and just the comfort of knowing my feet are on the right spot on the pedal. When I ride platforms, my goofy ocd mind goes nuts trying to put my foot in the exact right spot. By the time I get where I'm going, I'm a basket case.
Old 11-28-18, 12:53 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Yep, clipless are my preferred mode of pedaling, but I would never be so bold as to say its 100% a benefit. I've been over terrain (wet clay) where its too unstable even for the second it takes to unclip.
Originally Posted by noglider
Unlike most people (I think), I put my right foot on second and take it off first. That pedal has the tension set very low. The left one has it a little higher, though it doesn't really need to be. I have had a couple of panic stops when I pulled my feet out vertically rather than twisting them out. So it works when you pull really hard (and the tension is sufficiently low). I didn't even do it consciously.

I've had one near fall and one fall. The near fall was in 1991 when I was new to clipless and had been using toe clips since 1975. I came to a stop and couldn't get out, but I was right next to a dumpster which was shoulder high. I grabbed the dumpster and unclipped. No problem.

The other was in about 2008. I was goofing around on the grass at low speed and came to an incline I couldn't climb in the gear I was in. I fell onto the grass gently and burst out laughing at my clumsiness. My wife thought it was a stunt and asked me why I did it. She didn't know it was an accident.

So again, clipless is not for everyone, but the required skill is achievable for many of us.

I'm not super experienced at riding off road, so on those occasions, I will unclip in anticipating needing to put my foot down. Still, no problem.
Exception # 2. ^^

Too many active forces for the brain to process. Even for a near reflex.
Old 11-28-18, 08:07 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
@noglider are you right or left handed? I think the Paceline talked about it in one of their podcasts... Pre Michael Hotten and Fat Cyclist's departure. aka when it was good.
Old 11-28-18, 08:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@RidingMatthew, I'm right handed, but I guess I mount and dismount a bike left-handedly. I think I also start up a flight of stairs with my left foot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.