Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Midnight Boston Marathon bike ride.

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 02-21-20, 02:15 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts

Anyone doing this? I'm thinking about it. I would need to buy lights. I never ride in the dark.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 02-21-20, 08:31 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I have lights and ride in the dark often. However something has to be terribly wrong for me to be awake between the hours of 11:00 PM and 4:00 AM. I’m out.
Old 02-22-20, 09:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Wow you must be feeling better! Just read up on it, sounds like a blast, the timing does sound radical & we always have a sales meeting on Patriots Day so I’m out
Old 02-22-20, 04:44 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Wow you must be feeling better! Just read up on it, sounds like a blast, the timing does sound radical & we always have a sales meeting on Patriots Day so I’m out
I do feel better. Still not allowed to ride outside or drive yet. That will be a while.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 02-23-20, 05:55 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
There is a similar unoffical ride for the NYC Marathon every year. It starts in Brooklyn, about 3 miles from the actual start of the race in Staten Island, and follows the course to near the finish line in Columbus Circle. More Civilized hours. The few time I did it I got up at 4am to ride the 15 miles from home to the start. The ride left Brooklyn about an hour before the start of the race and followed the purple line on mostly already closed roads. Around 2 hours for me at an easy 12mph pace
Old 02-24-20, 07:14 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
I did Hal's ride for many years out of the Boston YMCA. I've thought about this ride the last few years but the time just kills me. The last time I went in during the Marathon and just rolled around the city, nice light traffic. If it's a nice day I might just go and do that again. Here's a couple of old videos from 2017, and My World Turned Upside Down was done that way on purpose.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 02-24-20, 07:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
last time I went in during the Marathon and just rolled around the city, nice light traffic.
yeah but wrong way in front of cheers? eek & you could have used the bike lane on the left side of Comm. ave. Did you ride all the way from home?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-24-20, 08:31 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yeah but wrong way in front of cheers? eek & you could have used the bike lane on the left side of Comm. ave. Did you ride all the way from home?
I can't remember exactly where but I was in the city limits because parking is always free that day in the city.
Old 02-25-20, 05:44 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
I can't remember exactly where but I was in the city limits because parking is always free that day in the city.
oh ok haha cuz that wud have been a long ride,I can ride to Boston from home and that’s fun to go from apple orchards and corn fields to Fenway park & downtown. For about a half second I thought of riding to Hopkinton then Boston then home but then quickly dismissed that whole complex nite ride idea right out the window
Old 02-25-20, 12:00 PM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I've done it twice, but the weather has been dreadful the past two years. It is an ABSOLUTE BLAST and I hope the weather holds out this year, at least temperature-wise. My wife and I do it. We make a day of it and go into Boston with the family (we're in Worcester) that Sunday to drop off one of our cars at the Boston Common garage. Once we've eaten and tooled around a bit--it's so cool, btw, because there are runners everywhere, it's really a cool atmosphere--we head home, and then we head to the Southboro rail station for the midnight rollout. It's definitely not an organized ride, but a group of people arrange for a box truck to bring bikes out for people from Boston (I guess you can't take your bike on the T the night before the marathon). Once everyone gets off the train, it's kinda crazy and then at midnight everyone just gets going. Cool crowd, cool bikes, all kinds of neat lights and speakers going. There's really almost no traffic the entire way. It's a really dark few miles, and a decent climb, to the start line, which is awesome, and then you're in for a 26.2 mile treat. It's mostly downhill until you get to Newton-Wellesley, and riding down from Boston College into the city proper is just magical. Yes, bring lights, but you don't have to go crazy, once you get closer to the city everything's bright anyway. Watch out for T-tracks and pokey riders, and you will have so much fun. Do it!
Likes For PugRider: