Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Could commuting on very flat roads be easier on a fixed?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 10:08 PM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts

I am in a situation where I am moving to a very flat area and I am bringing my bike for about a 40 mile round trip commute to work (2 days a week). I ride a commuter bike sometimes (bad weather) and for a few years I rode a fixed gear track bike that is super light and fun and to be honest my commute time was less with it and I am riding in Pittsburgh hills. Now I am taking one of the following bikes with me to make my very long but very flat commute. The bikes are as follows:

1. Commuter bike with 700x35 tires and a Shamano 8 speed hub
2. A road bike with 700x25. Older 531 bike with Campy ergo and such. (Roberts)
3. A fixed with 700x23 (Guerciottitrackbike)

I will be riding around 15 mph and I am just wondering will my effort be actually less on a fixed gear bike as it is so light? Sure I can never coast. That is a concern.

I am in my 50's. I do love riding my fixed, but a nearly 40 mile round trip commute and a physical job is a concern. What do you think, is the best bike for this commute?

Last edited by h_curtis; 03-03-21 at 08:28 AM.
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 03-02-21, 10:16 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Multiple gears. Will allow you to manage effort, which will prevent sweaty messenger work day. Unless you have a shower at work. If you do, than mix it up.
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 03-02-21, 11:03 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Senrab62
Multiple gears. Will allow you to manage effort, which will prevent sweaty messenger work day. Unless you have a shower at work. If you do, than mix it up.
Interestingly, I don't sweat that much at my age. Don't know why. Kind of miss when I was younger and was soaked with sweat. lol
Old 03-03-21, 12:16 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Headwinds are the enemy of the cyclist. They may be more of an issue on flat unsheltered roads.

If you can only have one bike, and are using it for practical as well as leisure riding, then the sensible thing is to take a multi-speed even if you seldom change gear. I often ride my 2 x 10 as a "selectable single speed" riding for many miles without a change of gear.

However, I ride my fixed far more often.

The geared bike is the sensible option. You will probably take the fixed.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 03-03-21, 12:47 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
You are not comparing apples to apples. A road bike is quite different from a track bike and 25c tires from 23c tires. Now, riding that distance fixed on a proper road frame, no big deal. I do it all the time. I've commuted nearly that distance year round on roads that weren't all flat. With fenders, a rack and panniers and a U-lock. But that bike was a mediocre to decent Japanese sport frame from the early-mid eighties, not a bike intended to ride a velodrome. I put 28c tires on it. 44-17.

I'm purposely a little vague describing that bike. It's a rig I've been riding 40 years. Over that time everything, including the frame, has been replaced at least four times. It started on sewups which work well as skinny tires for commuting. (Tough on the rims but in those days, 400g rims were cheap and sewups don't care how trashed the rims are. Round, square, any shape works!) Since going to clinchers, I've never even thought about commuting on 23s (other than thinking that's a bad idea).
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-03-21, 06:42 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Yes
Old 03-03-21, 07:51 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Personally, I would take the geared bike (to fight the headwinds).
However, if the fixed was converted to free I'd give it a go....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 03-03-21, 08:21 AM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
You are not comparing apples to apples. A road bike is quite different from a track bike and 25c tires from 23c tires. Now, riding that distance fixed on a proper road frame, no big deal. I do it all the time. I've commuted nearly that distance year round on roads that weren't all flat. With fenders, a rack and panniers and a U-lock. But that bike was a mediocre to decent Japanese sport frame from the early-mid eighties, not a bike intended to ride a velodrome. I put 28c tires on it. 44-17.

I'm purposely a little vague describing that bike. It's a rig I've been riding 40 years. Over that time everything, including the frame, has been replaced at least four times. It started on sewups which work well as skinny tires for commuting. (Tough on the rims but in those days, 400g rims were cheap and sewups don't care how trashed the rims are. Round, square, any shape works!) Since going to clinchers, I've never even thought about commuting on 23s (other than thinking that's a bad idea).
The largest tire I can fit on my track bike are 23's. I tried 25's and they rubbed. lol. The Continental 4 seasons are really nice tires for commuting though.

You guys have me leaning road bike. If I was in top shape and didn't work on my feet all day, I might rather go with my fixed. I sure love riding that!

Thanks.
Old 03-03-21, 08:25 AM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Mikefule
Headwinds are the enemy of the cyclist. They may be more of an issue on flat unsheltered roads.

If you can only have one bike, and are using it for practical as well as leisure riding, then the sensible thing is to take a multi-speed even if you seldom change gear. I often ride my 2 x 10 as a "selectable single speed" riding for many miles without a change of gear.

However, I ride my fixed far more often.

Wow, do you know me? Your last sentence hit home. If I was in better shape, I probably would take my fixed. With the job being physical and me in my 50's, I might actually wimp out and take the road bike. Wish I would have started training a month ago, but it is what it is. Commuting around here, I almost always ride. my fixed or commuter bike. I went years riding my fixed and just love it. Makes you work up hills in a good way. You have no choices. lol
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 03-03-21, 08:27 AM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Personally, I would take the geared bike (to fight the headwinds).
However, if the fixed was converted to free I'd give it a go....
Yeah, I am. going to deal with winds. That can sure make a difference. At least on the way. home I can just take my time and stop if I feel like it.
Old 03-03-21, 09:49 AM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Mikefule
This still has me laughing. I ask a question and the overwhelming response is take the geared bike and then I decide on the fixed anyway. Hilarious and often true!

Since I am 55 years old and not in the shape I really need to be in, I think I am taking the advice this time around however. Thanks for this response. Priceless.
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 03-03-21, 09:55 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
The lighter weight of your track bike is irrelevant on flat roads. Much more important is aerodynamics, so the bike that puts you in the most wind-cheating riding position is the best choice. As to your age being a factor, it is not as important as your fitness. I'm 74, and the only difference between now and when I was in my 20's is that I'm a bit slower, but maintaining a 15 mph pace on flat roads on my fixed gear is not a problem at all. As long as you choose a low enough gear to maintain at least a 90 rpm cadence, you won't bog down when riding into the wind. That said, I don't ride fixed when the sustained wind speed exceeds 15 mph.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-03-21, 10:51 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I wouldn't want to commit to 40 miles round-trip on a fixed gear twice a week until I tried the course with gears first.
Old 03-03-21, 01:18 PM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's all a matter of training... doing it every day and soon the only ugly days are those with strong headwind the entire trip, which is much like an hour fitness with weights but when home you feel 20 years younger.
Old 03-03-21, 01:20 PM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Riding 20 miles headwind with a fixed makes you feel 20 year younger when arriving home.
Old 03-03-21, 02:48 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I'd take the fixed with a lower gear on the flip side of the hub for dealing with headwinds.
Old 03-03-21, 11:00 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Novalite
Riding 20 miles headwind with a fixed makes you feel 20 year younger when arriving home.
As someone that commuted year around on a fixed in Pittsburgh, I have to agree. Only once I couldn't ride home and had to walk the whole way due to too much snow. I tried, but just couldn't. Fun though. Very long walk.