Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Wheel upgrade for Trek Checkpoint

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 05-25-20, 06:44 PM
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Hi all,

I bought a Trek Checkpoint SL5 last season, which I absolutely love. I've put on 2,500km, averaging 30-50km/day, mostly road riding in the city, but also dirt/gravel trails. I'm currently running the stock wheels and tires. I have the budget now where I'd like to invest in a better wheelset - I'm thinking carbon or a high quality alloy. I'm happy with 40mm tires, although I'm open to trying something a bit smaller (my previous bike ran 28mm). I've looked at the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 TLR Disc and 3V, which seem to tick a lot of boxes, and are close to my budget of $1,200. However, Zipp have recently announced their 303S wheels, in a similar price point. Both wheelsets include a lifetime warranty, however the Zipps offer lifetime crash replacement, which the Bontragers do not. That's not a deal-breaker, but it's sure nice peace of mind for an expensive piece of kit. On the other hand, I'd really like to support my LBS, who are a Trek dealer.

Can any Checkpoint owners share their thoughts about the Aeolus Pro 3's, or another wheelset they love? Looking for advice.

Last edited by Fuzzy_Dunlop; 06-01-20 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 07:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
You can get what you're after- lighter, sturdier, faster- for half that.
...regardless of what you buy,, you almost for sure won't really be noticably faster, it'll just seem that way. But that's often good enough.
Old 05-26-20, 04:50 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Kind of agree with mstateglfr for what you're doing that's a lot of money for no return, but hey why not? I think the zipps would be a no brainer just for the crash protection, plus the heritage and look. Personally I'd go for HED because they're localish.

Honestly I have been contemplating buying some Rene Herse tires, like the Barlow pass or Steilacoom. You will see some crazy performance for a tenth of what a new wheelset costs!

https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...ts/tires/700c/
Old 05-26-20, 05:05 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
...regardless of what you buy,, you almost for sure won't really be noticably faster, it'll just seem that way. But that's often good enough.
stiffer, compliant, bearings, maintenance, hooks, internal width, hoop shape, hoop depth, hoop material, ride characteristics, tubeless, holeless rim beds, engagement, Internal width, ERTO standards/ how your choice tire installs on said hoop.

ETC.......!

Faster isn't always the reason for upgrading wheels! but I can see why a narrow view might only see "faster" as a reason for wheel upgrades.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 05-26-20, 05:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Metieval
stiffer, compliant, bearings, maintenance, hooks, internal width, hoop shape, hoop depth, hoop material, ride characteristics, tubeless, holeless rim beds, engagement, Internal width, ERTO standards/ how your choice tire installs on said hoop.

ETC.......!

Faster isn't always the reason for upgrading wheels! but I can see why a narrow view might only see "faster" as a reason for wheel upgrades.
I was simply repeating terminology the OP used for reasons to upgrade. One was 'faster', so I reference that.
You can back off now, or go after the OP with this aggression. Either way, leave me out of it.
Old 05-26-20, 06:17 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
No help with the original question but Fuzzy_Dunlop is a great username
Old 05-26-20, 06:20 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
He also referenced warranty....(my reading comprehension suggest that warranty is more important to him than speed)
So I am curious...

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What wheels can be had "for half that" with lifetime warranty and/or crash warranty?
Old 06-01-20, 02:47 PM
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Originally Posted by Metieval
Hi everybody, thanks for the great responses. I revised my original post a bit. I was being somewhat fecitious when I said I hoped new wheels would make me faster. What I'm looking for is a noticeable overall improvement over the stock alloy wheels, based on the type of riding I do. Stiffness, compliance, hub quality - I know these all factor into it. I've got a budget in mind, but my knowledge of wheels and what to look for is limited. I'm really looking for advice. Anyone with the same/similar bike, who upgraded to a different wheelset: What did you pick? Why? I mentioned lower end carbon wheels, but I'd happily consider a high quality alloy wheel. Bontrager makes the Paradigm Elites, which have DT-Swiss hubs and seem like good value for money. I can't find much in the way of reviews on them.
Originally Posted by fourfa
No help with the original question but Fuzzy_Dunlop is a great username
Hahaha, thanks. I would love to take credit for inventing that name, but I shamelessly stole it from an episode of The Wire, maybe the greatest televison program ever.
Likes For Fuzzy_Dunlop:
Old 06-01-20, 08:33 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 263 Posts
I have a set of rim brake Pro 5s on my older Madone 5.0. I’d like a Checkpoint SL5 or AL5 or WarRoad for an all around bike. Well test ride first. If I go this way I’d like a second set of wheels too. But deep and for the road like I have now. A set of disc Pro 5s if I got a Trek. Something else for the Salsa. Then run 28mm tires on the second set.

But hey I want a 29er mountain bike to replace my 26er. Decisions decisions.

Edit: Oh yea. Weight. I was wondering about how much a change of wheel would have an impact. Good to know.

.|
\/

Last edited by biker128pedal; 06-02-20 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-02-20, 04:39 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I upgraded my SL5 to the Paradigm Elites and am very happy with them. Just that change reduced wheelset weight by 1.25 pounds. Bike feels less sluggish and wheels seem yo spin up quicker. YMMV

P2
Likes For pinsonp2:
Old 06-02-20, 05:17 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Originally Posted by pinsonp2
I upgraded my SL5 to the Paradigm Elites and am very happy with them. Just that change reduced wheelset weight by 1.25 pounds. Bike feels less sluggish and wheels seem yo spin up quicker. YMMV

P2
What tires and did you go tubeless? Those aluminum Paradigm Elites look good. Wonder how the ride compares to the carbon Pro 3s. Both are 19.5mm wide inside.

I really should have done more research and gotten wheels with 14 mm inside width rims for my Madone.
Old 06-02-20, 07:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I really should have done more research and gotten wheels with 14 mm inside width rims for my Madone.
Why so narrow? Even for paved roads, the trend based on research has been for a wider internal width than that.
Old 06-02-20, 09:55 AM
biker128pedal

Trends are trends. The OEM wheels were 14 mm inside. I could run 25 mm tires (Conti 4000) at 105 psi. With the 19 mm inside width running 105 psi in the rear I get pinch flats. Also the 25 mm tire is too wide and rubs the chain stay when out of the saddle. I have a 25 mm tire on the front now but it is very close to the fork crown. Sticky asphalt pebbles hit.

I bought the Pro 5 wheels because my rear OEM wheel broke. Saw the 2017 Trek catalog where they upgraded a guys Madone 5000 with Pro 3V wheels. Must fit that bike better than the 5.0.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 06-06-20 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-03-20, 05:36 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Paradigm Elites

I kept the stock tires (Flintridge) and did not go tubeless.

P2
Old 06-03-20, 07:16 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Absolutely love the 3Vs on the Checkpoint! A perfect marriage IMO...lifetime warranty and dead easy tubeless setup with included rim-strip and valve. Holds these 43c tires very solidly. Weight is very reasonable for the price point and durability. I highly recommend!

Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 06-08-20, 01:29 PM
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Nice setup! That is one mucked up Checkpoint. Might I ask what all you've changed on it, apart from the wheels? How are the new wheels on tarmac?

Last edited by Fuzzy_Dunlop; 06-08-20 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 03:47 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Dunlop
Nice setup! That is one mucked up Checkpoint. Might I ask what all you've changed on it, apart from the wheels? How are the new wheels on tarmac?
I've made the following changes to my 2019 ALR4:
  • GRX 400 FD, RD, Chainset
  • Redshift Shockstop Stem and Seatpost
  • Apidura Racing Series top-tube and saddle pack
  • Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V Wheels
  • Panaracer Gravelking SK, 43C tires
Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 03-17-21, 10:11 PM
Dave___Z

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Paradigm Elite and Aeolus 3 Pros

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
What tires and did you go tubeless? Those aluminum Paradigm Elites look good. Wonder how the ride compares to the carbon Pro 3s. Both are 19.5mm wide inside.

I loved the Paradigm Elite’s in my 2005 Madone. Improved road feel, comfort, superior handling and braking as well. And they certainly spin fast. I used Bontrager R2 TLR then switched to Conte GP5000 after too many punctures of the R2’s required tire replacements in short order. I loved the feel of the Conte’s but you need a lbs assistance to get them on the first time. They are the tightest fitting tires I’ve ever experienced.

started using the Aeolus 3 Pro when I pitched my Emonda SL6 Pro in November. Love them and the Emonda and had been riding tubes with stock R2’s until just the other day when I went with R3 TLRs on the Emonda. Subtle difference but not too dramatic from the time he’s feel but it was just one ride and super windy so we’ll see after another few rides how they feel.

Fast forward to yesterday when I picked up a 2021 Checkpoint SL5. I have to admit rolling out today on 40’s for the first time was weird and sluggish. Then after 4 miles I punctured the rear tire (riding solely on road) due to a tiny thorn sized sharp piece of gravel barely penetrating the center of the tire and nicking the tube. I went to change to a new tube I just bought and forgot my tire levers in my new top tube bag and figured maybe try and get some air in it with my new Air Rush Pro pump and roll back home. Nope. I ended up snapping the top of the valve stem off in the pump hose! So I walked it 1.5 miles back to the house and changed the tube.

so disappointed in the first venture out and had my Paradigm Elites not been rim brake I’d have thrown them on and rolled out with the R3 28cms.

long reply short, I’m in the market for a narrower secondary wheel for my mostly rode efforts on the new machine.
Likes For Dave___Z:
Old 03-18-21, 07:58 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Why not buy some new Paradigm Elite 25's disk? Throw some 28's on them and you have a nice road set that should swap out fairly easily with your current wheel set.
Old 03-18-21, 09:41 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Dunlop
What did you pick? Why?
I have hooked Light Bicycle carbon rims laced with xray spokes to DT Swiss 240 hubs. I wanted a second wheelset (one for trail/gravel and one for road).
The new alloy offerings from Spinergy look to be a good option at a good price point.
Old 03-28-21, 03:52 PM
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Absolutely love the 3Vs on the Checkpoint! A perfect marriage IMO...lifetime warranty and dead easy tubeless setup with included rim-strip and valve. Holds these 43c tires very solidly. Weight is very reasonable for the price point and durability. I highly recommend!

Thanks again, everyone, for all the insight and great recommendations. I ended up going with the Aeolus Pro 3V wheels, and Rene Herse Barlow Pass tires, set up tubeless. They look great and roll like a dream on everything I’ve thrown at them so far. Next purchase will be 45mm knobbies for the stock wheels to have for gnarlier terrain.

Likes For Fuzzy_Dunlop:
Old 04-02-21, 12:55 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
In the online communities I follow, the following two models get recommended all the time:

1) Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc (1589g, 24deep, 24wide)
2) DT Swiss Gr-1600 Spline

I went for the former and could not be happier with the wheelset. A noticeable upgrade from the stock WTB wheels in every way.
Likes For Prodigy4299: