Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Interacting with dogs while riding

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Interacting with dogs while riding

Old 05-07-21, 08:58 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
In my experience, most dogs chasing cyclists are just playing. Most times, not always, you see them wagging their tail and barking playfully as they pace you. The only real worry from these is that they may hit your front wheel, and cause you and your bike egregious harm. usually a sprint, and a "GO HOME" works for these. In a great minority of the time, the dogs are guarding/protecting their perceived home space, these dogs can sometimes be poorly , or inappropriately trained. these are the ones to be afraid of.
TL/DR
I have two stories from this year to illustrate bot kinds, both have poor outcomes. Story one: I was riding on a local road, and I was chased by two border collies. these are the type of dog that has lots of energy and love to play... fast too. they kind of worked together to "herd " me, and it took a full out sprint to get away from them. the next time I rode by there, one of these dogs was in the road, dead from getting hit by a car, and the other has been tied up. of behind a closed gate ever since. a good example of poor dog owners, causing an innocent animal's demise.
Story two, is totally different. I was riding along, into a very strong head wind, say 25 MPH or so. I was approaching a isolated house with a known aggressive pair of dogs, lets call them bull mastiffs. because of these dogs, I avoid this road most days, but when the wind is that strong, I like to go that direction out of town to have a tail wind on the way back after an hour or more of fighting that wind. since I dont go that way very often, I wasn't sure exactly where this house was, and the dogs surprised me. these are the kind that aren't playing, and chase with out barking... no warning. one of the dogs got a bike into my right calf, just grazing the skin with its teeth. but since this broke the skin, I went up the road and called the county sheriff and dispatch said they would contact animal control. they also asked for the street address, which I did not know. so I glided over to the front of the house and looked for a number. city folks look at the house, so I was on the edge of the road, looking at the house... (numbers are on the mailbox across the street as the rural folks all know) Well the animal control officer called me back, and was in the area, and was heading over. Just then, the dogs. which were being restrained by a teen ager, got loose and came after me. I tried the bike between the dog and me, but these dogs knew that trick and executed a coordinated flanking maneuver, and one sank his fangs deep into my left calf.
now I have a police report, and a lawyer, and this poor excuse for a dog owner will have a lawsuit.

Short version.. some dogs will bite, and are either untrained, or trained in a way that makes them dangerous... and other dogs just want to have a good time and play with you. both can send you to the hospital if you are un aware of the danger, or complacent.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 05-07-21, 09:25 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
now I have a police report, and a lawyer, and this poor excuse for a dog owner will have a lawsuit.

Short version.. some dogs will bite, and are either untrained, or trained in a way that makes them dangerous... and other dogs just want to have a good time and play with you. both can send you to the hospital if you are un aware of the danger, or complacent.
Take him to court either on The People's Court or Judge Judy.

I love the stories about dog attacks and bikes BTW, if you get on Judge Judy, she seems to have it out for irresponsible dog owners, much better chance of getting the max paid out
Old 05-07-21, 11:48 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
AVERAGE settlement in CA is a ridiculously large number (Google that if you are interested). If I get 2/3 (lawyer gets 1/3)
of 1/2 of that number, it is almost worth it
Old 05-07-21, 03:59 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Usually I use a command voice and tell them 'No' 'Back', etc. I've never been bitten on the bike, but I don't want to encourage the dog and have it try to catch a loaded log truck, or have someone in a car target it. Pretty much any dog I can outrun is too decrepit to worry about. In fact, I consider my riding a public service to old dogs who can amble along their property line woofing and dreaming of their younger days.
Old 05-07-21, 09:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
In my experience, most dogs chasing cyclists are just playing. Most times, not always, you see them wagging their tail and barking playfully as they pace you. The only real worry from these is that they may hit your front wheel, and cause you and your bike egregious harm. usually a sprint, and a "GO HOME" works for these. In a great minority of the time, the dogs are guarding/protecting their perceived home space, these dogs can sometimes be poorly , or inappropriately trained. these are the ones to be afraid of.
TL/DR
I have two stories from this year to illustrate bot kinds, both have poor outcomes. Story one: I was riding on a local road, and I was chased by two border collies. these are the type of dog that has lots of energy and love to play... fast too. they kind of worked together to "herd " me, and it took a full out sprint to get away from them. the next time I rode by there, one of these dogs was in the road, dead from getting hit by a car, and the other has been tied up. of behind a closed gate ever since. a good example of poor dog owners, causing an innocent animal's demise.
Story two, is totally different. I was riding along, into a very strong head wind, say 25 MPH or so. I was approaching a isolated house with a known aggressive pair of dogs, lets call them bull mastiffs. because of these dogs, I avoid this road most days, but when the wind is that strong, I like to go that direction out of town to have a tail wind on the way back after an hour or more of fighting that wind. since I dont go that way very often, I wasn't sure exactly where this house was, and the dogs surprised me. these are the kind that aren't playing, and chase with out barking... no warning. one of the dogs got a bike into my right calf, just grazing the skin with its teeth. but since this broke the skin, I went up the road and called the county sheriff and dispatch said they would contact animal control. they also asked for the street address, which I did not know. so I glided over to the front of the house and looked for a number. city folks look at the house, so I was on the edge of the road, looking at the house... (numbers are on the mailbox across the street as the rural folks all know) Well the animal control officer called me back, and was in the area, and was heading over. Just then, the dogs. which were being restrained by a teen ager, got loose and came after me. I tried the bike between the dog and me, but these dogs knew that trick and executed a coordinated flanking maneuver, and one sank his fangs deep into my left calf.

The border collie story is really sad. That's a breed that requires a real commitment. If they get bored, they are going to escape and get in trouble. Probably just about the smartest dogs there are, you really can't leave them alone because you won't like what they come up with to amuse themselves.
Old 05-08-21, 06:57 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
June 2019 I was riding to work - just cleared a hill and was getting back up to speed. Computer shows I was doing 40k/h and picking up speed.

A dog unknown to me, turned out to be a doberman, was loose in its yard across the road, decided to run parallel to me. 1/4 km later it came out a driveway in the field it was now in, crossed the road and collided with me around my feet. Not sure how fast it was going - but I was doing 40, it ran fast enough to get ahead of me after crossing the wide ditch and the road, so way faster than me.

8 or 9 ribs broken in 15 places, a few bouts of unconsciousness and a collapsed lung.

I didn't see the dog coming at me until it was too late. I was last aware of the dog when it was in its yard - across the road, I figured it was no big deal and it would stop at the edge of its yard like many others have done. nope!

As an aside the dog owner called 911 - to advise them that some one had fallen off their bike, but that the police were not needed.

Tells me everything I need to know about her...
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 05-10-21, 02:38 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I carry pepper spray but have never used it. On one of my routes, I am always pursued by a small dog. I know the owner and am not concerned about the dog so wouldn't spray it. In this rural area, it is legal to kill dogs chasing livestock, so most owners keep their dogs contained. I have stopped when confronted by several dogs from one residence. Had the spray in hand . The dogs milled about and eventually went back on their property.

When I was running, I always stopped and picked up a couple of rocks before passing a certain farm house. The dog seemed deterred by my actions.
Old 07-18-21, 01:21 PM
skipper0802

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Pro, 2008 5.2 Madone

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lack of "Pet Owner" training... hard to accomplish

Originally Posted by Koyote
I know you are joking, but...I never blame a dog for its own bad behavior - especially for chasing cyclists. These things result from bad dog owners.

I once had a real problem with a dog on one of my regular routes, and my main concern was that it would get hit by a car while running out in the road to chase me. I ultimately called the Sheriff's department and asked them to have a chat with the homeowner. I never had another problem with the dog.
^^^Agreed. I think the issue stems from the pet owner. The dog's just being a dog.
Old 07-18-21, 02:18 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by skipper0802
^^^Agreed. I think the issue stems from the pet owner. The dog's just being a dog.
Ride just fast enough for the dog to keep up with you and ride all the way until you're out of sight of the dog owner. It's his problem. Let him worry about where his untrained dog is.

If there's a next time, the dog will be on a leash.
Likes For Daniel4: