Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 06:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Ah, yes -- another thread centered on the question "Why on earth do you people spend your money differently than I do?"

There's no better way to waste time on BF.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-29-19, 06:20 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Yes, you pay a premium to get a new thing.
But there are a couple of real advantages in buying new - for bicycles, the two big ones I can think of are warranty (bike company warranties are not tranferrable from the original owners) and size selection (there are lots of used bikes on the market but not too many in my size).

The other thing about 'used' is that you are always guessing about the condition - even if it looks clean, that doesn't mean the hub bearings aren't worn out or the frame hasn't fatigued.

I have only ever bought used cars. Four years ago I bought a Mazda with ~60000 km on it. It needs ~$1000 worth of suspension repairs now.. The same time I bought my car, a friend bought a new Toyota. The only repair he has needed is a brake pad replacement. I know he paid more, but I feel the peace of mind he got for the extra money was worth it.
Old 08-29-19, 06:39 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
Used furniture, used clothing, used cars, and on and on. You must spend a lot of time asking yourself questions.
Originally Posted by robnol
u must be one of the cool aid drinkers on bf
You realize he's agreeing with you?
Old 08-29-19, 06:44 AM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sometimes you have to pay what you have to to get what you want.

You PAID for that?
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 08-29-19, 06:54 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
for that same 1300 dollars you could have bought a bike that sold for 5000 new with high end components....new is a placebo...a nice one but a placebo none the less
My bike cost $1100 new, (previous year’s model clearance sale) 5 years ago, with a 105 group set. At the time, I could have bought a used 10 year old bike with Dura Ace or Ultegra for less. But the 10 year old Ultegra bike would have been 9 speed, whereas my bike is 10 speed.

But if I buy the current version of my bike, it would now have 11 speed, the option of disc brakes, nicer wheels and cranks and saddle, a more aero frame etc. The price has gone up to $1500ish and more, but the quality has improved year-on-year. I’m happy with the value I’ve got out of my bike for when I bought and how much I paid, but I would have got more bike for my money if I’d held off a model year or two, and would get a lot more if I bought new today.
Old 08-29-19, 07:04 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Value is relative. Apparently, spending $5k on a bike strikes the OP as wasteful. Ask a typical non-cyclist what's the most they'd ever spend on a bicycle and you might hear $500, or more likely $200. Odd are that same non-cyclist will have a $1,000 smart phone that they will replace in 2 years... with another $1,000 model. Value is relative.

To some people, $5k or 10k or even 15k on a bike is not a lavish expenditure. Buying habits are often not about intelligence or the lack thereof. People are absolutely free to fulfill their wants to whatever extent their funding allows.
Old 08-29-19, 07:05 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
It all depends on what you are buying.

I love expensive, fine cars. I cannot, however, afford to buy them new. So for my last car, I shopped for a Certified Previously Owned (CPO) model. My wife and I bought matching CPO Mercedes convertibles, with full factory warranty, for a lot less than their price new. The cars were leased returns and you couldn’t tell them apart from their brand new counterparts.

My bikes, however, I bought them all brand new.

The difference? The cars were fully covered by their factory warranty. No worries or concerns.

A used bike, especially a CF bike, could have hidden damage not covered by a warranty. So I will not buy used.

OTOH, I will buy a used vintage or classic steel or titanium bike.

The OP’s basic premise is not necessarily flawed; he just makes blanket statements that don’t sit well with everyone here.
Old 08-29-19, 07:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
You PAID for that?
*yawn* That's the best you got?
Old 08-29-19, 07:17 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
i will buy it for pennies on the dollar... u shell out the mega bucks and i will enjoy it just as much knowing i wasnt dumb enough to buy something that loses its value faster than an american car...
nothing wrong with new...if u have the funds to do so,alot of people dont
So which is it?

for that same 1300 dollars you could have bought a bike that sold for 5000 new with high end components....new is a placebo...a nice one but a placebo none the less
Yeah, high end components from a decade ago that have now been superseded by the lower end components of today. Methinks someone doesn't understand trickle down engineering.

And besides, nobody will ever know this bike retailed for $2500 but was had new from the LBS for only $1200 (minus wheels/pedals), so in a decade, I can probably still sell it to you for a grand and laugh all the way to the LBS to buy my next new one:

Old 08-29-19, 07:21 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
i recently bought a bike on ebay ..it cost 5000 brand new it is carbon fiber in pristine condition with high end components...its 9 years old ..its more bike than i could afford when it was new. i bought in a auction on ebay for 1000 dollars and 100 for shipping...i ask myself why people shell out mega bucks for new bikes when they can buy it for pennies on the dollar later....there are alot of high dollar bike deals on ebay...buying new seems like a waste of money
You got burned, I paid $200 for mine and no shipping.
Old 08-29-19, 07:25 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I guess I'm an idiot. All of my bikes were new when I bought them.
Old 08-29-19, 07:27 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Unless I know the bike I don't buy used. This is because I don't trust myself to pick up things like hairline cracks in a frame. Having said that, I did commit to buying a Pinarello AL frame. But, it's older and for money I could afford to lose.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-29-19, 07:29 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
True of almost all consumer items, cars especially, TVs, cameras, you name it. It's called "life".
agree except for tv. used tv?, uh no
Old 08-29-19, 07:31 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
new bike is a good way to reward yourself
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 08-29-19, 07:55 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
i recently bought a bike on ebay ..it cost 5000 brand new it is carbon fiber in pristine condition with high end components...its 9 years old ..its more bike than i could afford when it was new. i bought in a auction on ebay for 1000 dollars and 100 for shipping...i ask myself why people shell out mega bucks for new bikes when they can buy it for pennies on the dollar later....there are alot of high dollar bike deals on ebay...buying new seems like a waste of money
well, when you are unemployed. You have the time to sort through 1,000's of bikes on ebay to find that pristine bike.

other wise time is Money, and its better to work, and then just spend that money at the bike store.

buying new is called "Time management"
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-29-19, 08:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
well, when you are unemployed. You have the time to sort through 1,000's of bikes on ebay to find that pristine bike.

other wise time is Money, and its better to work, and then just spend that money at the bike store.

I see this repeated often and always chuckle since it doesnt at all apply to me or most anyone I know.
Outside of work, my time is worth almost nothing. I dont produce at that time, and whatever I spend that time on is of equal value- $0. If I spend 2 hours riding bikes with my kids, or spend 2 hours on yard work, or spend 2 hours scrolling thru ebay for a bike- those 2 hours are all worth the same in terms of money- $0.
That doesnt even take into account how many on this forum are active DURING work. Even when my time is money, it still isnt spent as efficiently as it could be. And that applies to many others I know. 'Many others' = everyone I can think of right now.

A hobby neednt be calculated at a per hour pay rate. That turns it into a job.

To make it apply to ebay- If I look at ebay from 8pm to 10pm, watch tv in that time, or bake a cake and exercise it off in that time- its all worth $0 because my time is not money for most of the day.

I cant imagine living a life where my time is always worth money. It would be exhausting trying to calculate the opportunity cost for each activity at any given time.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-29-19, 08:30 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
new bike is a good way to reward yourself
Yep. I bought my last road bike as a reward for paying off my $247.5K mortgage in 11 years.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-29-19, 08:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
There's plenty of perfectly good used "how you spend money is wrong" troll threads on BF, not sure why OP went through the trouble of buying a new one.

Snob vs. Slob thread, no. 18,806.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-29-19, 08:38 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Snob vs. Slob thread, no. 18,806.
Can we get a mod to rename this thread?
Old 08-29-19, 08:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
[QUOTE=mstateglfr;21097942]I see this repeated often and always chuckle since it doesnt at all apply to me or most anyone I know.
Outside of work, my time is worth almost nothing. I dont produce at that time, and whatever I spend that time on is of equal value- $0. If I spend 2 hours riding bikes with my kids, or spend 2 hours on yard work, or spend 2 hours scrolling thru ebay for a bike- those 2 hours are all worth the same in terms of money- $0.
That doesnt even take into account how many on this forum are active DURING work. Even when my time is money, it still isnt spent as efficiently as it could be. And that applies to many others I know. 'Many others' = everyone I can think of right now.

A hobby neednt be calculated at a per hour pay rate. That turns it into a job.

To make it apply to ebay- If I look at ebay from 8pm to 10pm, watch tv in that time, or bake a cake and exercise it off in that time- its all worth $0 because my time is not money for most of the day.

I cant imagine living a life where my time is always worth money. It would be exhausting trying to calculate the opportunity cost for each activity at any given time.[/QUOTE]

And yet, you (and all the rest of us) are doing that all day, every day. Each time you decide to spend your time on something, you are making a trade-off (i.e., sacrificing other opportunities), which means that you are choosing the option with the lowest opportunity cost.
Old 08-29-19, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Metieval

+1. A few years ago I read s story about cheap vs. frugal. According to the author, one distinction between the two is that a cheap person will spend a good amount of time trying to spend the least amount of money possible. A frugal person, on the other hand, will do some research but won't take that to excess because he/she knows that time, not just money, also has value.
Old 08-29-19, 08:55 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. A few years ago I read s story about cheap vs. frugal. According to the author, one distinction between the two is that a cheap person will spend a good amount of time trying to spend the least amount of money possible. A frugal person, on the other hand, will do some research but won't take that to excess because he/she knows that time, not just money, also has value.
eventually people learn that time has the most value, as time is the only thing that isn't replaceable.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-29-19, 09:22 AM
weiwentg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
For bikes, a possible advantage of buying a new stock bike is that you can get the store to make sure it fits you, which can involve replicating your previous bike position, which can involve changing the stem length and angle. You get the manufacturer's warranty. You know that any flaws in the bike should be either their fault or your fault, and not the previous owner's fault. It's easier to get exactly what you want, if you have a preference about that sort of thing. That does matter - the question is, does it matter to you?

Bikes do depreciate fast, because the technology is changing quite rapidly. There's nothing wrong, per se, with a lot of older tech. It may be more limiting to what you can do with the bike, e.g. the gearing on 10s groups is probably a bit taller than 11s, disc brakes can perform well in a greater range of conditions than rim brakes, older road bikes probably can't take tires larger than 28mm on modern rims. However, those limits may not be material to you.
Old 08-29-19, 09:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
QUOTE=mstateglfr-
I cant imagine living a life where my time is always worth money. It would be exhausting trying to calculate the opportunity cost for each activity at any given time.[/QUOTE]

And yet, you (and all the rest of us) are doing that all day, every day. Each time you decide to spend your time on something, you are making a trade-off (i.e., sacrificing other opportunities), which means that you are choosing the option with the lowest opportunity cost.
We arent always doing this. I specifically said where my time is always worth money. Any decisions on what to do when time is worth money would take place when I am at work. The rest of my life is different and decisions made during hours outside of work are opportunity cost decisions, but not for money. Instead they are based on enjoyment, or responsibility, or whatever other basis I am using to decide what to do.

My point was that if my time were always worth money, meaning I could be paid the effective hourly rate of what I earn at work, I would have a tough time deciding to do things that I do right now.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 08-29-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 09:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Except you are not buying a NOS 9 year old bike. You are buying a bike with 9 years of use. So how much you are saving depends on the condition.

It also depends on whether you care about design changes over the past 9 years. This could mean the components themselves or the compatibly with newer standards.

For example, you want a bike with a fairly “road” like geo and also tire clearance for 35s? I can tell you from experience (looking for such a thing in 2010) that there are not many 9 year old options.

It also depends on the TYPE of bike. For example, other than tire clearance, there is nothing I care much about that differentiates a road bike from today and 9 years ago. But with mountain bikes, the changes over any 9 year period are immense, and honestly, I doubt I would even pay $500 for a 9 year old FS MTB that retailed for $5K unless is was literally never ridden.

Also, while my overall experience with eBay purchases have been generally good, I have had less than stellar luck when it comes to bikes and bike frames.

And unless you live in a very populated large area, good used options can be limited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.