Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Front brake rattle on Specialized Sirrus X5

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-26-21, 10:25 AM
waxcrazy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Probably been brought up before....sorry in advance...but is there any simple cure for this rattle I've narrowed down my rattle noise to on my disc brakes? Kind of drives you crazy after awhile when hitting bumps.. at first I thought it was my internal cables but it has narrowed down to the brake pads... Thanks
Old 05-26-21, 12:34 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
As far as I know, not much one can do about this. I have the same brakes (BR200 flat mount) on my '19 Sirrus X Comp Carbon (= X5). They rattle a bit. Brakes are functional, but they are low in the hierarchy, so tolerances won't be all that good.

The only possible 'fix' I'm aware of is to use Permatex on the pad backing plates, and possibly the piston, to attempt to quiet the rattle. I'm considering trying this on my rear brake to try to silence the damn 'coming to a slow stop squeal' the thing has had since new. I -- and my lbs -- have tried absolutely everything else to get rid of it. Front brake has been fine/silent/effective from new.

My permanent solution was to order a full set of current XT (flat mount) calipers/rotors/levers. No idea when they will show up given current shortages; I hope sooner rather than later.