Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVI

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVI

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 11:36 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Crap! Fraud alert on the one credit card we use for absolutely everything. Switching to a backup temporarily and then to the new one is no problem, but there are probably 20 automatic charges I will have to change to the new card number. Crap! Crap! Did I happen to mention CRAP?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-04-19, 11:51 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Crap! Fraud alert on the one credit card we use for absolutely everything. Switching to a backup temporarily and then to the new one is no problem, but there are probably 20 automatic charges I will have to change to the new card number. Crap! Crap! Did I happen to mention CRAP?
I hate when that happens. Last time was maybe 10 years ago and we figured it had to have been a tampered gas pump somewhere off I-95 in butt**** VA.
Old 11-04-19, 11:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Sounds painful.

Last year I found out someone opened up a credit card in my name and also got a new iPhone/wireless account in my name. As a result I have my credit frozen until further notice with all the credit bureaus. It happens.
Old 11-04-19, 12:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
WhyFi, oh learned one, what is your take on Robusta coffees used in espresso blends. Nespresso doesn't use much Robusta overall, but it does appear in their espressos fairly routinely. Is it a valuable contributor to the expected flavor profile for espresso, or is it just a way to cut cost. Seems like the darker roasts have more Robusta. Any comments you can make about this? We Americans are so brainwashed to believe that only Arabica is worthy of our hard earned shekels, I was just wondering.
I honestly couldn't tell you. I tend to try a local roaster's recommendation for espresso and either I like it or don't and I move on; I pay more attention to the roast and results, I rarely even note the type of bean(s) used. It's kinda like bike frame materials - there may be some inherent differences, but it's not even close to being the whole story.

Also, the expected flavor profile doesn't seem to be nearly as narrow as previous; dark and bold used to be the norm but, particularly with "third wave" roasters, you're starting to see much lighter roasts with more delicate notes. If I'm being honest, I sometimes struggle to get the most out of these at home, but in the hands of a good barista, they're awesome. Oh, and then there are the ones that go to the other extreme with hit-you-over-the-head dark. Don't care too much for those.
Old 11-04-19, 12:49 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

No school today. Mrs datlas and daughter #2 are in NYC looking at NYU and having lunch at 3 Giovani.
Old 11-04-19, 12:59 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Seems to happen about once every 18 months for me, anymore. And I feel like I'm reasonably cautious with my personal info. Luckily Capital One has pretty good fraud protection (despite other flaws.) I've never actually had to pay a penny out of pocket. And updating all the auto-payments is actually a good way to review what I actually need, or to discontinue some recurring payments that are hard to cancel (I'm looking at you, Strava Premium.)

Last time was some sort of scam where someone ordered $900 worth of kitchen faucets from Wayfair and had them shipped to my house, but somehow logged on to FedEx and did an delivery address change before it was delivered and sent it to some other address in god knows where South Carolina. I didn't find out about any of this until I was reviewing my statement.

Capital One took care of it. I called Wayfair to try to figure out exactly what happened but they were pretty useless.
Old 11-04-19, 01:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Sounds painful.

Last year I found out someone opened up a credit card in my name and also got a new iPhone/wireless account in my name. As a result I have my credit frozen until further notice with all the credit bureaus. It happens.
Happened to me years ago. I came to the conclusion that someone at Rothman sold my information to a credit card fraud ring operating out of Houston. (The phone number used to open the account was a nursing station desk at a Houston hospital.) By a stroke of luck I didn't ride the Saturday the bogus cards were delivered. Immediately called WaMu and told them I did not open the account. Someone had tried to transfer a balance but that transaction had not been fully processed and WaMu was able to stop it. The account had been opened on line. When I asked WaMu why it didn't take the extra security step of waiting until the person who allegedly opened the account (me) called and activate the account before allowing any activity the person from the fraud department responded "Well, we didn't know it was not you opening the account." My response: Nor did you know that it was me, and in this day and age of identity theft you should take the extra step of waiting for card activation. I then told her my question was really rhetorical. I know the reason. Someone transferring a balance cannot pay it off. That means that the sooner the balance is transferred to sooner the bank will start earning finance charges.

Had my credit frozen as well. A couple of months later I got a call from a bank asking if I had tried to open a credit card account. My information was still floating around out there, and someone had tried to use it. Fortunately, the credit freeze worked.
Old 11-04-19, 02:09 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Stinks. What a pain.
Old 11-04-19, 02:11 PM
sbxx1985 

I've had success with DeWalt's outdoor work gloves for winter cycling.
Old 11-04-19, 02:19 PM
MoAlpha
• —

My information, including my investigation and reinvestigation for a Top Secret clearance, was compromised in the great OPM hack of 2015. If someone fully exploited all that to impersonate me, the authorities might decide they were the real thing and put me in the calaboose.
Old 11-04-19, 02:37 PM
sbxx1985 

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
You got me thinking now.
Good deals in the UK for bars and stems and posts. Much better than the US because of the price fixing. Excel and CC sometimes have good closeout stuff.
Old 11-04-19, 02:40 PM
sbxx1985 

I got a Gerber Dime this morning. Fun little $20 multitool.
Old 11-04-19, 02:41 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Good deals in the UK for bars and stems and posts. Much better than the US because of the price fixing. Excel and CC sometimes have good closeout stuff.
Thanks! I have bought bike stuff from those vendors. Yachty foul weather gear is also cheap from over there, even after import duty.
Old 11-04-19, 02:52 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
WhyFi, oh learned one, what is your take on Robusta coffees used in espresso blends. Nespresso doesn't use much Robusta overall, but it does appear in their espressos fairly routinely. Is it a valuable contributor to the expected flavor profile for espresso, or is it just a way to cut cost. Seems like the darker roasts have more Robusta. Any comments you can make about this? We Americans are so brainwashed to believe that only Arabica is worthy of our hard earned shekels, I was just wondering.
FWIW I only drink robusta, both whole bean and instant. 1.5 to 2 times the caffein as arabica. No acids to speak of, no negative gut or sinus affects, for me, both of which I suffer with arabica.
Now I will give up the floor to WhyFi. Pardon the interruption.
Old 11-04-19, 02:54 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by ksryder
Seems to happen about once every 18 months for me, anymore. And I feel like I'm reasonably cautious with my personal info. Luckily Capital One has pretty good fraud protection (despite other flaws.) I've never actually had to pay a penny out of pocket. And updating all the auto-payments is actually a good way to review what I actually need, or to discontinue some recurring payments that are hard to cancel (I'm looking at you, Strava Premium.)

Last time was some sort of scam where someone ordered $900 worth of kitchen faucets from Wayfair and had them shipped to my house, but somehow logged on to FedEx and did an delivery address change before it was delivered and sent it to some other address in god knows where South Carolina. I didn't find out about any of this until I was reviewing my statement.

Capital One took care of it. I called Wayfair to try to figure out exactly what happened but they were pretty useless.

Don't mess with Chase. They catch everything.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-04-19, 02:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

No school today. Mrs datlas and daughter #2 are in NYC looking at NYU and having lunch at 3 Giovani.
Sweet.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-04-19, 03:05 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm convinced all these chain problems nowadays are the result of 11 and 12 sp drivetrains along with the weight weenie craze necessitating a thinner gauge chain. BITD when I used to ride tons, chains never broke unless installed improperly. Sure we didn't ride 20,000 miles a year like some of you nuts guys, but we rode plenty.
X10SL is a 10s chain though. But SL = Super Light. It seems hard to get hold of the regular X10S anymore. S = Super?
Old 11-04-19, 03:05 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Lightning warnings kept me off the bike again today. As a result, I got a great deal of work done on a woodworking project which has been dragging along for a month. Barring an act of god, I will finish it up and install it in its new home later in the week. And then move on to the next project in the cue. Adapting a bigger, more powerful motor to the diy garden shredder.
Old 11-04-19, 03:39 PM
sbxx1985 

Bought my week nonresident Florida fishing license. I hear you can catch fish off the beach. That's fun. Apparently not much for services on the island, so I also bought a $12 toiletry bag from Amazon that will become my custom first aid kit. I'm the guy that brings the first aid kit.
Old 11-04-19, 04:37 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm convinced all these chain problems nowadays are the result of 11 and 12 sp drivetrains along with the weight weenie craze necessitating a thinner gauge chain. BITD when I used to ride tons, chains never broke unless installed improperly. Sure we didn't ride 20,000 miles a year like some of you nuts guys, but we rode plenty.
Thank goodness I'm safe with 8 SPD. I will excise all thoughts of upgrading to 10 SPD, Actually to be on the safe side, I shall avoid 9 SPD as well.
Old 11-04-19, 04:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

It never fails. The last patient of the day is ALMOST ALWAYS late. Today's last patient is scheduled for 5:30PM. I run on time. I am sitting here waiting at 5:45PM and apparently patient is "on her way."

I just wanna finish up and go home.

Sad.
Old 11-04-19, 05:09 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I honestly couldn't tell you. I tend to try a local roaster's recommendation for espresso and either I like it or don't and I move on; I pay more attention to the roast and results, I rarely even note the type of bean(s) used. It's kinda like bike frame materials - there may be some inherent differences, but it's not even close to being the whole story.

Also, the expected flavor profile doesn't seem to be nearly as narrow as previous; dark and bold used to be the norm but, particularly with "third wave" roasters, you're starting to see much lighter roasts with more delicate notes. If I'm being honest, I sometimes struggle to get the most out of these at home, but in the hands of a good barista, they're awesome. Oh, and then there are the ones that go to the other extreme with hit-you-over-the-head dark. Don't care too much for those.
Good input. Thanks.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-04-19, 05:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

It never fails. The last patient of the day is ALMOST ALWAYS late. Today's last patient is scheduled for 5:30PM. I run on time. I am sitting here waiting at 5:45PM and apparently patient is "on her way."

I just wanna finish up and go home.

Sad.
Aww, sorry, and know you’ll be the embodiment of graciousness, anyway. Our experimental volunteer was late today, too, and then her magnetic brain stimulation threshold was to high to run her.

When I was a resident, the last clinic patient on Friday afternoon was always a cord compression.
Old 11-04-19, 06:45 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I'm surprised no one has yet invented bar heaters.
https://amegrips.com/heat-bikes.html
Old 11-04-19, 06:46 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
It's a thing. Electric heated bar tape. Let me see if I can find a link....

https://ame-grips.myshopify.com/coll...ke-heated-wrap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.