Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire clearance for Giant Contend 3 2018 model

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-15-20, 12:23 PM
josephpiano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Am wanting to get wider tires for my bike (Giant Contend 3 2018 model). Giant website and user manual don't give any specification for tire clearance. Also called LBS, but they said they can't give me that information. Anyone here know or have experience? Would like to order 28c or wider, just want to make sure if will fit first. Would love to hear your suggestions, many thanks.
Old 04-15-20, 01:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
What do you have in there now?

In general, you want about 4mm of space/tire clearance, to the to the sides and the top. A quick way to estimate what you can get away with is to grab your 4mm Allen wrench and use it as a feeler gauge around the tires - check the sides at the chain and seat stays, the top at the seat tube and brake caliper, etc. That should give you a good visual on how much more you can fit in there while still maintaining enough clearance for debris and whatnot.

Edited to add: also keep in mind that some tires will measure different than others - a nominal 25mm from some brands might measure out to 28mm in real life, so the above method is best when you're staying within a certain manufacturer/model.

Last edited by WhyFi; 04-15-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 01:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Find where the tightest clearance is on your current tires and measure that. Might be the center of the tread with the brake calipers if rim brakes, or perhaps seat tube or top of fork. Or the sidewalls and fork or stays. If you determine that at your smallest clearance point you have six mm of space, then if you leave the suggested 4mm clearance for saftey, then you can get a tire that is four mm larger. 6 - 4 = 2, but you are working with a radius so you can double it for figuring out what tire size you can get. You can assume tires will grow equally in height and width. However height is the full height of the wheel and tire, not the section of tire from rim to tread. (I think I'm pretty certain of that.... chance I might be wrong) But if they have an aggressive tread, then more cause to be conservative in what you get in a particular brand and model until you know from actual experience.

But, there are some tires that for various reasons aren't true to the size they specify for width. Some run smaller because the mfr was trying to say theirs is the lighter of all the other tires that size. Some run bigger, probably .... I think... because most are specifying the width of the casing when on a rim of a specified width, and that doesn't include extra tire material on the outside of the casing.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-15-20 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 08:28 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by josephpiano
Am wanting to get wider tires for my bike (Giant Contend 3 2018 model). Giant website and user manual don't give any specification for tire clearance. Also called LBS, but they said they can't give me that information. Anyone here know or have experience? Would like to order 28c or wider, just want to make sure if will fit first. Would love to hear your suggestions, many thanks.
i have giant contend as well. I put 28C tire on no problem sir! pic's incoming!

JAG
Likes For sirjag:
Old 04-26-20, 08:30 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sirjag
i have giant contend as well. I put 28C tire on no problem sir! pic's incoming!

JAG

4mm space left over.
Old 04-26-20, 08:42 AM
josephpiano

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sirjag

4mm space left over.
cool! which year is it?
Old 04-26-20, 09:25 AM