Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Destinations in US

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Destinations in US

Old 04-04-21, 08:32 AM
wooljersey

Bikes: Dean Titanium with S&S couplers, Spcialized Stumpjumper M2, Bridgestone RB-1 with S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 5 Posts
Bike Destinations in US

My wife and I are 60 years old and we are looking for some destinations where we could spend a 3days to a week cycling. I used to race but my wife came to biking later in life. We are looking for places with multiple ride possibilities. My wife does not like to ride on the road and only enjoys moderate hills. Urban bike paths or Rails to Trails would be perfect. We typically only ride 20-40 miles at a time. When we travel by car we take both road and mountain bikes. Our road bikes have S&S couplers so we take them when we travel by air.

We especially love riding in Minneapolis, the SF Bay area and have enjoyed Louisville, Kentucky. This week we will be passing nearby on the interstate so we are going to spend a day riding in Morgantown, WV (looks like this would be a possible destination for a longer trip). Because of Covid we are looking for destinations in the lower 48.

BTW, we live in Iowa and Des Moines has a world class paved trail system.

When Covid is over, Toronto, CA and Strasbourg, France are on the list.

I would love to hear your suggestions or trip reports.
Old 04-04-21, 09:40 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
We just did a 30 mile ride Red Canyon trail leading into Bryce Canyon National Park yesterday, on a bike path. In Zion National park we did a bike and hike. St George Utah has a great trail system. We are on the road going from place to place, hiking and biking.

There are a lot of places that could meet your criteria. Your not too far from N. Michigan. with some long trails and even if you end up on roads in that area are lightly traveled. Montreal to Quebec was mostly trails. Edenborough to Copenhagen was mostly trails. Check out the Katy trail and C&O/GAP. Those are the ones that come to mind right now. Got to go now. On our way to a hike in Bryce Canyon.

Good luck.
Likes For debade:
Old 04-04-21, 09:47 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,813 Posts
For networks of urban trails and paths, Minneapolis is hard to beat, but I see it's already on your list.
Old 04-04-21, 10:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
You can ride the Natchez Trace Parkway from just southeast of Nashville TN to Natchez MS. About 444 miles of mostly nice road. Not too many cars except around the larger cities it passes. Bed & Breakfast's and hotels just off of it along the way.

https://www.scenictrace.com/what-to-do/bicycling/

https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/b...the-trace.html

If you start at the Nashville end and go to Natchez, you'll be going ever so slightly down hill the majority of the time.

Of course you need to pre-plan and check accommodations. I've no idea what COVID may have done to B&B's and other places along the way.

For a rails to trails, there is https://tanglefoottrail.com/

I have not had a chance to ride that yet.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-04-21 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-04-21, 11:09 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Olympic Discovery Trail -- Olympic Peninsula, Washington State.
Lots of other outdoors things to do, too.

Ferry to Victoria, CA with riding options there.
Hike in the Olympic Mountains.
Kayak the lakes.
Hot springs to soak.
Nature.
edit: July & Aug for dry months. June can be iffy and after the 1st week of Sept it gets rainy.
Personally, having biked most of the Katy in MO and much of the Natchez Trace in TN,AL,MS - I find them boring. and often way too hot to enjoy.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-05-21 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 11:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Spokane WA has a decent set of bike trails and combined with Coeur 'd Alene, ID (Trail of the C'dA) offers some mighty scenic areas.
Old 04-04-21, 11:40 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

The Monterey Bay area of central California has great riding and much to do, but not sure about the extent of trails. Been a long time since I lived there.
Old 04-04-21, 11:58 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Check into the East Coast Greenway and the trail through the Laurentians in Quebec.

Is there a Blue ridge Trail that can be biked?

I'm thinking about some scenic rides, too, but my wife doesn't ride. I expect to go someplace and set up in a motel. I'll ride; my wife will read, soak up sun, and possibly drive from one spot to another.

There's a 'Touring' forum on BF, too, with knowledgeable people.
Old 04-04-21, 04:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Olympic Discovery Trail -- Olympic Peninsula, Washington State.
Lots of other outdoors things to do, too.

Ferry to Victoria, CA with riding options there.
Hike in the Olympic Mountains.
Kayak the lakes.
Hot springs to soak.
Nature..
The area is indeed beautiful and very green for a reason. The Olympic area is designated as a rain forest. If you do this, get fenders and full rain gear because in Wa, you never know unless you are extremely lucky.

I would suggest circumnavigating the big island of Hawaii. You hit multiple climate and natural zones from tropical to desert and everything in between. It’s on my bucket list.

Old 04-04-21, 07:20 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Here are some I’m aware of and have either ridden or seen others from 50+ ride.

I’ve heard there’s an extensive paved system around Denver, CO.

Glenwood Springs, CO has a couple that would make a perfect 2 day outing. In fact we rode those at a 50+ Forum Group Ride several years ago.

There’s a number of long paved trails just above Tampa, FL. I think they are the Sun Coast and Withalochee (sp).

The Silver Comet/Chief Ladiga Trail is 100 miles long and runs between Smyrna, GA and Anniston, AL. There are several places where you could overnight and do out and back rides. It’s pretty flat except for about a 10 mile stretch.

I rode The Natchez Parkway last October and it felt pretty safe. It is pretty hilly on the Nashville end, but not bad for an experienced rider.Traffic can be busy around Jackson.

There are some paved trails around DC/Faifax.

Raleigh, NC has some good ones like the Tobacco Trail.

There are a lot of paved trails in and around Chicago but it feels really urban....

I hope this helps.
Old 04-07-21, 10:31 AM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Since you mentioned being in West Virginia, you may want to consider portions of the Ohio to Erie Trail in Ohio. The only section I've ridden so far, though, is the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath through Cuyahoga Valley National Park to northern Akron. That's my favorite ride in the area, but it gets quite crowded.

And while perhaps too obvious I'm hoping to ride the Great Allegheny passage from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, Md. sometime this year.
Old 04-08-21, 06:41 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by wooljersey
My wife does not like to ride on the road and only enjoys moderate hills. Urban bike paths or Rails to Trails would be perfect. .
Tucson AZ has a 100 mile network of MUP called "The Loop" that is gorgeous, nicely-paved and well-maintained, mostly flat, and wide enough that it seems able to accommodate casual toodlers and diehard roadies trying to get their workout simultaneously. That's not a typo: one hundred miles.

The MUP around Quebec City in Canada is pretty nice too.

Frankly, the west side bike path (aka "The Greenway") in Manhattan (NYC) is surprisingly luxuriant as MUPs go, and if you rode it end to end from Inwood to Battery Park City and back you'd be clocking more than half of your 40 mile daily max. Just don't expect the luxury to continue if you swing around to the east side. Or the pavement even.
Old 04-08-21, 09:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Assuming you would drive, perhaps use Wallace, ID as a base. From there you could to an out and back west on the C'dA Trail. Heading east takes you to the NorPac Trail (short stretch of little-traffic road riding to connect the two), which takes you up to Lookout Pass, at the border with MT. A short drive from Wallace (about 14 miles) takes you to the East Portal Trailhead of the outstanding Route of the Hiawatha Trail, with its tunnels and high trestles. You can ride that west and then back east (about 15 miles each way) or ride west (down hill) to the Pearson Trailhead and catch the shuttle most of the way back. (A good light is required for the 1.66 mile, unlit St. Paul Pass Tunnel.) From East Portal you could also head east and back west on the same former railroad right-of way. That portion is called the Olympian Trail. Between road and mountain bikes, the latter would be more suitable.

Again with a car, another option is the Mickelson Trail in SD. You could stay a night each in Deadwood, Hill City, Custer and Edgemont and do out and back rides each day. All have lodging and places to east. although Edgemont is relatively closed on Sundays. (Mt. Rushmore is a relatively short drive from Hill City.) Again, mountain bike would be best.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-08-21, 01:33 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 115 Posts
Bike wisconsin

Here you go...........

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/arti...trails-project

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/mult...e-trail-201939

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/mult...e-trail-204349

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/thin...n-road-touring

ENJOY!

Old 04-09-21, 06:46 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 115 Posts
My wife and I are 60 years old and we are looking for some destinations where we could spend a 3days to a week cycling. I used to race but my wife came to biking later in life. We are looking for places with multiple ride possibilities. My wife does not like to ride on the road and only enjoys moderate hills. Urban bike paths or Rails to Trails would be perfect. We typically only ride 20-40 miles at a time. When we travel by car we take both road and mountain bikes. Our road bikes have S&S couplers so we take them when we travel by air.

We especially love riding in Minneapolis, the SF Bay area and have enjoyed Louisville, Kentucky. This week we will be passing nearby on the interstate so we are going to spend a day riding in Morgantown, WV (looks like this would be a possible destination for a longer trip). Because of Covid we are looking for destinations in the lower 48.

'

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/thin...oor-fun/biking

There`s also some nice road along The Great River Road.
https://www.wigrr.com/travel-the-byw...ies/bicycling/

Here you go...........

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/arti...trails-project

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/mult...e-trail-201939

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/mult...e-trail-204349

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/thin...n-road-touring

ENJOY!
Old 04-10-21, 06:00 PM
iowa mark

Bikes: GT,Trek,Fuji,and a couple of Schwinns

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
For a day trip, make a run up here to Okoboji, Spirit Lake. Nice 20 to 50 mile trails around the lakes.
Old 04-11-21, 08:23 AM
btbeth

Bikes: Cannondale T-2000, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ohio has an extensive network of rail trails. Since you will probably be passing through going to/from West Virginia you might want to check them out.

https://ohiobikeways.net
Old 04-11-21, 09:30 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I’m not sure that I could be in more agreement with roadsnakes’ suggestion to consider the multitude of cycling opportunities available in Wisconsin! As a Wisconsin resident, I’ll admit to being a bit biased tho. While I’m sure that many states have wonderful cycling opportunities, a definite advantage for the OP to consider Wisconsin would be proximity! Central Wisconsin is easily within a day’s drive from Des Moines with numerous cycling opportunities closer still in the South West region of Wisconsin. Even at the height of the Summer tourist season, once away from the major tourist attractions (Wisconsin Dells, Door County) and the larger cities (Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay), cyclists will frequently find themselves pretty much alone on the trails and county roads! Discover Wisconsin! You won’t be disappointed .
Old 04-11-21, 01:08 PM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
My wife and I are 60 years old ...
Sounds a lot like us. We like Muskegon, Michigan and Xenia, Ohio.
Likes For Hit Factor:
Old 04-11-21, 01:30 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I was going to suggest Xenia, OH if you'd like multiple day rides from a central location. You can do out-and-back rides the same day, or carry an overnight bag and hotel at turnaround towns.

For a different climate option, significant parts of the route down the Florida Keys have adjacent bike paths. You could work your way down to Key West by driving sections and doing out-and- back day rides in the bikeable parts. The one time I rode the keys, it was in January. I left single-digit temps in Indiana and and enjoyed upper 70's to lower 80's from Miami down to Key West.

The GAP is fantastic, with plenty camping options, and hotels off the trail a bit. The C&O canal towpath is wonderful as well, though being dirt it can be a muddy mess.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-12-21, 05:29 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
With Wisconsin mentioned..

You might consider the 4 Trail Tour. It's only 100 miles, but very scenic, all rail-trails(I think the Sparta-Elroy was the first rail trail conversion..if memory serves). It includes The Great River Trail, LaCrosse Trail, Sparta-Elroy Trail, The 400 State Trail. Starts at the north end in Trempealeau Wildlife Refuge(nice ride in there too) and ends in Reedsburg, WI. Also nice town-campground about mid-Sparta Elroy Trail in Wilton..every Sunday they put on a pancake breakfast next to the campground..good shower too..and swimming pool. The Sparta-Elroy did have some severe storm damage a couple years back..they're nearly done with the repairs.
Bike 4 Trails
https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/elroysparta

There's a shuttle available in Sparta..Speed's Bike Shop I think.

I imagine Door Dounty has been mentioned already.
Old 04-16-21, 01:33 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts

Well I grew up not far from Morgantown! You will be going either up or down. Very hilly. West Virginia has little flat areas. Depending on where you are staying or visiting, if you go just a bit north into Pa, like 10 miles to the border, Greene County is desolate and has a lot of country roads. That means no crowds. The Morgantown area though is a bit crowded due to WVU.

Now I don't live in that area any longer but instead live down south. You cannot beat the Blue Ridge Parkway for riding. It is a road but the speed limit is only 40 and there are not a lot of cars. Some parts are very hilly but there are sections that are made up of rollers. You are riding a ridge and so the views are tremendous. You could also visit Asheville which is right on the Parkway and then take in the Biltmore. There is lots of good riding in and around Asheville but some of it can be very hilly.

The parkway built for cars has become more of a cycling road of some odd 350 miles. You should be able to find some good areas that are not to tough. The southern end down by Asheville is a lot harder than the northern part. Still a fantastic ride.

john
Old 04-16-21, 03:16 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 205 Posts
Next time you are in the Bay area, you can drive up to Sacramento, and check out the American River trail. It can get pretty busy with pedestrians at time and in sections though. If people fallow the signs, they have the walkers on the left side, so the ones going your direction are not blocking you, and the ones walking towards you are on your side are facing you. If memory serves me, if you go the whole way from Folsom Lake to the Sacramento River, it is about 50-60 mile round trip. there is some pretty nice scenery along the river.
Old 04-16-21, 07:27 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I'm a big fan of Acadia National Park in Maine. The Park Loop Road with a side spur up Cadillac Mountain offer wonderful ocean views. I get out very early when there's very little traffic on the road and it's just glorious. If your wife isn't comfortable with that, Acadia has an extensive network of gravel carriage roads. These roads are car-free, generally not very hilly and the gravel isn't too sketchy if you don't have wide tires. I love the cycling there - mile for mile some of the best cycling in the Northeast IMO.
Likes For dennis336:
Old 04-17-21, 10:33 PM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3; Trek Boone 5; Raleigh Revenio; Fuji Altamira

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
In the spring there are a couple short(ish) drives from Des Moines with great bike trails - Bentonville/Fayetteville Ark has a great bike trail and would be about a 6 hour drive. Tulsa has enough trails to keep you busy for 3 days and is also about a 6 hour drive. Mississippi with the Natchez Trace would be a little farther but probably worth the drive. (I've never been to the Natchez Trace in Mississippi but it's on my bucket list).
In the summer, as long as you are OK with limestone trails look no further than the surrounding states. Plenty of trails you can ride for days. Katy Trail in Missouri, Cowboy Trail in Nebraska, Mickelson trail in SD, Sparta Trail in Wisconsin. Also, you mentioned Minneapolis but the best trail in Minnesota is easily the Root River trail in the southeastern part of the state.
Living in Minnesota I may be spoiled with the trail miles available but as a native Iowan and veteran of many of Des Moines area trails I tell everyone that will listen that Des Moines has the best and highest quality trails in the Midwest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.