Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Gary Fisher Big Sur

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Gary Fisher Big Sur

Old 11-10-21, 12:12 PM
Spacecoaster

Bikes: 1987 Raleigh USA Grand Prix; 2003 Gary Fisher Wahoo; 2001 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last week I picked up a 1986 Raleigh USA Grand Prix. I graduated high school back in '87 so an 80s Raleigh has always been a desire. Before I bought it, I had been scouring the ads and I guess that's a hard habit to break. Last night, I found an ad for a well used Gary Fisher Big Sur for $50. I own a 2003 Wahoo so I figured this was a good deal. I met the owner. He's a really nice guy that owned it for quite a few years. It rode really nice so it was an easy decision to pick it up for $50. My son sometimes uses the Wahoo and I've offered the Wahoo to him but he's a little apathetic to it. I don't know if he would be more interested in the Big Sur but either way, I would like to tune it up and clean it up and let him make a decision. Even though it rides nicely, it looks like a survivor from a dystopian landscape. Per the owner, he's tried cleaning it but it doesn't come clean. I figure it's a good bike to try get it running great and looking great, (or at least better). Any tips, tricks or advice? Thanks.

P.S. No pics yet as I haven't met my minimum post total as a newbie.
Old 11-14-21, 07:57 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Spacecoaster
Last week I picked up a 1986 Raleigh USA Grand Prix. I graduated high school back in '87 so an 80s Raleigh has always been a desire. Before I bought it, I had been scouring the ads and I guess that's a hard habit to break. Last night, I found an ad for a well used Gary Fisher Big Sur for $50. I own a 2003 Wahoo so I figured this was a good deal. I met the owner. He's a really nice guy that owned it for quite a few years. It rode really nice so it was an easy decision to pick it up for $50. My son sometimes uses the Wahoo and I've offered the Wahoo to him but he's a little apathetic to it. I don't know if he would be more interested in the Big Sur but either way, I would like to tune it up and clean it up and let him make a decision. Even though it rides nicely, it looks like a survivor from a dystopian landscape. Per the owner, he's tried cleaning it but it doesn't come clean. I figure it's a good bike to try get it running great and looking great, (or at least better). Any tips, tricks or advice? Thanks.

P.S. No pics yet as I haven't met my minimum post total as a newbie.
Gary Fishers are great bikes, Big Sur is really nice, ones I have worked on have been 9-speeds. As for where to start, look around the Classic & Vintage forums for a while. Cleaning isn't a big deal; start easy, with Dawn dish soap and water, wash it like a car. Then see what didn't come off and get some soft bristle brushes, WD-40, Simple Green, or whatever. Older bikes that have been well-used deserve a full tear-down and rebuild. Check all bearing surfaces (wheel hubs, bottom bracket, headset), clean, repack, rebuild. Check chain, if it's worn (a chain-checking tool is the only way to know for sure) really bad, then you probably need new cassette and/or chainrings. Definitely worth the effort on a bike like this. Good luck!
Likes For PugRider:
Old 11-14-21, 08:00 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I should add that if it's a 9-speed, it's probably a cartridge bottom bracket. If it feels nice and smooth, leave it in. If not, replace it.
Likes For PugRider:
Old 11-14-21, 08:34 AM
Spacecoaster

Bikes: 1987 Raleigh USA Grand Prix; 2003 Gary Fisher Wahoo; 2001 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I have it a good bath on Friday. I used simple green, meguiers car wash liquid, and something called pink stuff that we use for cleaning. I also hit it with a scrub brush. It definitely didn’t look new afterwards but it went from looking like a black/blue colored bike to a bright blue bike. Just looking around the Internet, I think I’ve figured out this is a 2001. That seems to be the color scheme for the 2001 Big Sur. Unfortunately the Trek catalogue that I found online only went back to 2002.
I'm going to start checking everything this week and getting it up to snuff.