Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Center-pull brake part??

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Center-pull brake part??

Old 11-23-21, 07:07 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Center-pull brake part??

Wondering if anyone would know of a source for this "pulley" setup?
Old 11-23-21, 07:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Tom- I assume this is for your wife's new frame. What type of rear brake are you planning and will you have a third set of rear stays? You seem to have chosen a center pull caliper. Any other brake versions considered?

I suspect these pulley hangers are made by a few Asian outfits. Dia Compe part #1265 is an example. Good luck finding one. Given the drift from center pull brakes I wonder how many of these hangers have been produced in the last number of years. Perhaps non profit bike recycling item. Andy
Old 11-23-21, 08:59 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Tom, a common position and routing for a rear brake on a Mixte is along the bi-laterials. That way the cable routing is less convoluted. However here is a picture of the brake routing system on one of the frames one of my small woman students made. It was not a finished product at the time of the pic but rather a proof os concept just to make sure the idea would work before bothering to make specialized pieces. it worked great.

Besides the roller, the other pieces were just things laying around. The black pieces were from a rack mount and the pieces next to the roller were rack bosses.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 11-24-21, 06:02 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I hate to be that guy, but put discs on it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-24-21, 06:44 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

We have rim brakes on all our bike except for the tandem. They have served us well!
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 11-24-21, 07:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Andy hinted at this, but are you going to have diagonal stays? Put the brake there. The only issue might be finding a long enough straddle cable. That could be solved with cantilevers.
A good bike shop should be able to help you with a long straddle cable though. Mafacs had an adjustable straddle cable on their centerpulls, and they are probably the best of the old-school centerpulls.

On edit: there are cx bikes with pulleys for the front derailleur, so you should be able to find one of those and then fabricate the rest.

Last edited by unterhausen; 11-24-21 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-24-21, 09:32 AM
Tandem Tom

Getting ready to go for a ride to the Amish restaurant for blueberry pancakes! I will post a pic of my wife's current setup later.
Old 11-24-21, 08:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
I sometimes get this forum and Velocipede Salon. It's worse when the same topic from the same OP is in play. So when I thought I was posting the following photo to this thread, I was actually doing so in the VS thread.

here's my sort of self made pulley from a city bike I made 18 years ago. Of course it is for a gear cable with the placement. A SA AW alloy shell IGH. (The bike was designed around the hub, but that's another story). Yhis pulley is from Dillsburg Aeroplane Works. It was intended for ultralight aircraft control cables. I do like the very deep cable seating and the unseen brass central bushing. Andy