Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How many group rides per week

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How many group rides per week

Old 01-17-22, 06:24 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
How many group rides per week do you guys think is too many, in terms of training. I do like 4-5 (drop rides) and think that I might be better served doing more base work by myself, but that's no fun.
When I first started riding I would do 2-3 a week, and up to 4 in the summer months. There was just so much to try and take it all the time.

Once I had been at it a few years, I cut that down to 1-2 race-like rides because there was just so much coasting/soft-pedaling in most rides I didn't feel like it was an efficient use of training time.

Now I might get in 1-2 group rides a month because it's just harder to carve out the significantly longer time block needed for a group ride.
Old 01-17-22, 06:30 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Before heading out for a group ride, consider your TSB and how it'll be affected by the additional TSS from the ride. Recovery is essential, and you wouldn't want your ATL to shoot too far beyond your CTL and risk overtraining/injury, now would you?
However, when examining the potential for going super -TSB post-ride, it's useful to consider FTP and the advertised w/kg of the ride and how terrain may play into your PD curve. Manipulating CRR and CdA through equipment choices and/or adjusting pack position can allow for sufficiently less FRC-type efforts, just as staying OTB could provide a bit more stimulus if needed. Ultimately, if your plan on TP calls for Z2 but your IF is 1.1 with an NP-buster type ride, you've probably overdone it.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-17-22, 07:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
However, when examining the potential for going super -TSB post-ride, it's useful to consider FTP and the advertised w/kg of the ride and how terrain may play into your PD curve. Manipulating CRR and CdA through equipment choices and/or adjusting pack position can allow for sufficiently less FRC-type efforts, just as staying OTB could provide a bit more stimulus if needed. Ultimately, if your plan on TP calls for Z2 but your IF is 1.1 with an NP-buster type ride, you've probably overdone it.
This post should come with a glossary
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-17-22, 07:38 AM
Koyote

ive been going to crit race clinics the past 2 weeks, went today and got destroyed again but I'm blaming my legs for being tired. Did 345 miles this week which is a ton for me. Still a long ways away from keeping up with the A riders.
See, there's this thing called a "recovery day."
Old 01-17-22, 07:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
See, there's this thing called a "recovery day."
I tried to tell him on the first page, but pearls before swine...
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-17-22, 08:14 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You've never had someone pull a Cat 6 on you? Tell me you didn't slide the lever forward and rise on the saddle just a little.
Oh, sure...I droped the hamer and dialed it up to 400w.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-17-22, 08:41 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
Larry, a group ride is not a race, no matter how fast they're going. And you can't seriously be talking about Cat 6 racing...?
What, you've never seen Cat 6 racers in a paceline?

Or is that 6 Cats in a paceline? I get confused.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-17-22, 10:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You've never had someone pull a Cat 6 on you? Tell me you didn't slide the lever forward and rise on the saddle just a little.
What, and drop into the little ring?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-17-22, 11:46 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
How many group rides per week do you guys think is too many, in terms of training. I do like 4-5 (drop rides) and think that I might be better served doing more base work by myself, but that's no fun.
When I started training for racing, I did my coaches’ Sunday group ride in NorCal. That started at Canada /92 and went to the coast and back. He would be in a van following us with support and coaching. I avoided the other group rides per coach’s request - too dangerous versus the benefit.

I want to win spectrum, don't really want to race yet because there are tons of strong but inexperienced cat 5s and 6s out here, the practice crit was sketchy.
Spectrum is a 40 mile 2400 feet of climbing unstructured ride that picks up riders as it continues along its route. There are sprint points but there is no “winning” Spectrum. Beginner racers always think everyone else is a sketchy rider or that fields are sketchy. It may in fact be true but the person making the observation is the one that is sketchy and lacks experience to know what is really sketchy.

By cat 6 I meant there were lots of strong people where this was their first race, so not even cat 5s. I don't want to ride in the 4/5 field when I could just ride with the cat 1s in the local group rides. Winning sprint points on said rides would require at least a cat 2 level of fitness though
Why would Cat 1s want to ride with you? It is a fair question not trying to insult you. I want to ride with racers who have similar goals, skills and experience - no beginners. You have to ride / race with the beginners.

Ooh I know, I'm not saying I'm any better or suggesting that I'm close to winning spectrum. I just don't want to race in cat 4/5 right now because I really don't want to crash. I can learn tactics and skills on the group rides. Need to wheelsuck harder.
I think spectrum is 60 miles
See comment above on Spectrum. If you race, you must start in the Cat 5 field. I get that you do not want to crash but there is no alternative. And the real races are different from Early Bird activity. There are a numerous, excellent cat 5 racers in actual cat 5 races that have excellent pack skills. Ride with those guys if you can at the front and or breakaway and drop the pack. And if you think you are an A caliber rider, dropping a Cat 5 field should be easy for you.

ive been going to crit race clinics the past 2 weeks, went today and got destroyed again but I'm blaming my legs for being tired. Did 345 miles this week which is a ton for me. Still a long ways away from keeping up with the A riders.
“A” riders are born and not made. There is only so much one can improve through training. IMO, success on the bike in competition is about finding ones niche and entering those events whether races or other types of rides where one has a competitive advantage.
Old 01-17-22, 11:52 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
What, and drop into the little ring?
No, I'm a rightie.
Old 01-17-22, 02:59 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
When I started training for racing, I did my coaches’ Sunday group ride in NorCal. That started at Canada /92 and went to the coast and back. He would be in a van following us with support and coaching. I avoided the other group rides per coach’s request - too dangerous versus the benefit.

Spectrum is a 40 mile 2400 feet of climbing unstructured ride that picks up riders as it continues along its route. There are sprint points but there is no “winning” Spectrum. Beginner racers always think everyone else is a sketchy rider or that fields are sketchy. It may in fact be true but the person making the observation is the one that is sketchy and lacks experience to know what is really sketchy.

Why would Cat 1s want to ride with you? It is a fair question not trying to insult you. I want to ride with racers who have similar goals, skills and experience - no beginners. You have to ride / race with the beginners.

See comment above on Spectrum. If you race, you must start in the Cat 5 field. I get that you do not want to crash but there is no alternative. And the real races are different from Early Bird activity. There are a numerous, excellent cat 5 racers in actual cat 5 races that have excellent pack skills. Ride with those guys if you can at the front and or breakaway and drop the pack. And if you think you are an A caliber rider, dropping a Cat 5 field should be easy for you.

“A” riders are born and not made. There is only so much one can improve through training. IMO, success on the bike in competition is about finding ones niche and entering those events whether races or other types of rides where one has a competitive advantage.
Probably gonna stay away from crits or road races and just do the safer group rides (spectrum is dangerous but not as dangerous as a race) and just race in alleycats because I'm good at dodging cars. The cat 1/2 guys do training group rides (spectrum, noon ride, morning ride, penvelo, valley ride) where anyone is welcome to join, so I can ride with them by just showing up to the rides.
Old 01-17-22, 03:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Probably gonna stay away from crits or road races and just do the safer group rides (spectrum is dangerous but not as dangerous as a race) and just race in alleycats because I'm good at dodging cars.
This seems like a totally sound risk mitigation plan.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-17-22, 03:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
Probably gonna stay away from crits or road races and just do the safer group rides (spectrum is dangerous but not as dangerous as a race) and just race in alleycats because I'm good at dodging cars. The cat 1/2 guys do training group rides (spectrum, noon ride, morning ride, penvelo, valley ride) where anyone is welcome to join, so I can ride with them by just showing up to the rides.
Yep, sound logic.
Old 01-17-22, 04:27 PM
Koyote

The cat 1/2 guys do training group rides (spectrum, noon ride, morning ride, penvelo, valley ride) where anyone is welcome to join, so I can ride with them by just showing up to the rides.
As has been suggested many times already: if you want to ride with the Cat 1/2 riders for more than the first few miles (until they drop you), you might want to do some more structured training. You're not going to get faster through osmosis.
Old 01-17-22, 04:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

As has been suggested many times already: if you want to ride with the Cat 1/2 riders for more than the first few miles (until they drop you), you might want to do some more structured training. You're not going to get faster through osmosis.
This. The guys who are leaving you for dead are doing other kinds of training besides group rides. You don't train for a 40 mile group ride by riding a 40 mile group ride.

Old 01-17-22, 04:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

"Your logic is sound - mere sound."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-17-22, 06:44 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
This. The guys who are leaving you for dead are doing other kinds of training besides group rides. You don't train for a 40 mile group ride by riding a 40 mile group ride.
I just need to deal with this watt/kilo thing and then I'll be good to go.
Old 01-17-22, 07:13 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
I just need to deal with this watt/kilo thing and then I'll be good to go.
I recommend dialing it up to 6 watts per kilogram.
Old 01-17-22, 08:02 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Everyone is a rock star on the A ride during warmup.

He has a lot of opportunity for structured training where he rides.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-17-22, 10:56 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Hermes
Everyone is a rock star on the A ride during warmup.

He has a lot of opportunity for structured training where he rides.
I'm buddies with multiple national champs and 1 former world class rider, and some of them do group rides pretty much every day. Their zone 2 is huge though and they can probably stay in it while im in zone 3 or 4. Just showing up to the group rides is honestly pretty good training, not optimal but I should be able to finish them all if I stay consistent. I wouldn't be the first person to get good by just doing the group rides without any real structure.
Old 01-18-22, 02:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

If they're on a recovery/endurance ride, and you're doing tempo/threshold, then you're not really training the same as they are, are you?

Old 01-18-22, 05:55 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Planning to quit isn't a thing. You're either drinking or you're not.
Are you implying that planning to do anything isn’t a thing?
Because you are either doing it or or you’re not?
Odd that you would feel the need to point out something so obvious.
I am planning on having a few cocktails later today.
I guess by your logic maybe I won’t end up having them though because I planned it?

Last edited by downhillmaster; 01-18-22 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-18-22, 06:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
If you can do 1.1, your FTP is wacked and the Zwift police are coming PDQ
Old 01-18-22, 07:04 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Are you implying that planning to do anything isn’t a thing?
Because you are either doing it or or you’re not?
Odd that you would feel the need to point out something so obvious.
I am planning on having a few cocktails later today.
I guess by your logic maybe I won’t end up having them though because I planned it?
I’m not surprised that you are confused.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-18-22, 08:35 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I recommend dialing it up to 6 watts per kilogram.
Turn it all the way up to 11.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.