Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Problems with Giant Ridesense 2.0

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Problems with Giant Ridesense 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-22, 10:54 AM
giantbiker47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Problems with Giant Ridesense 2.0

I have a question to a problem that has both myself and my Giant dealer perplexed.

First the back story; Back in 2018, Giant replaced my crashed and broken TCR 3 with a Defy Advanced. At this time, I also added a Giant Neos basic computer and Ridesense that the bike is made for. It all seemed to work ok, but after a while, the Neos dropped all the stored data. After it did this again, I scrapped that and bought an iGSPORT computer that paired with the ridesense. Long story short, I ditched that one due to unacceptable Chines information demands and bought the NeosTrack. in June of 2020. Then I started to get issues. It took me some time to get used to it, but all in all, it does what I need, time, distance, cadence and heartrate, just the basics. However, the problem at first was it dropped cadence and distance was wrong. Speed seemed to be ok but may have been on the low side thinking about it now. What I figured out was the battery was loose and losing contact (or so I thought). I "fixed" that by adjusting the tiny + contacts and adding a small piece of extra foam under the cap. During the latter part of last year, it seemed to work fine, no issues after that. Moving on to now, I have my bike on a trainer in the house with GPS off. What happens now has me totally puzzled. The cadence and heartrate (Ant+) work without issue, but the speed drops every few seconds (about 45-60). I borrowed an older ridesense transmitter from the bike store manager and rode two test rides of 30 mins. It worked perfectly no speed dropping So, he loaned me a brand new Ridesense and right out of the box, same issue, dropping speed. I have checked and rechecked the magnet positions, red light comes on and I can hear that feint tick.

SO, here's the question; Is it just my bad luck or has anyone else had this problem?

Giant are useless with customer support, referring me to my dealer and he knows as much as I do except his Neostrack seems to work fine.

I'm at the point of ditching this, but I really can't afford the Garmin other than maybe changing the transmitter.

Help and advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: well I just found out that Giant have discontinued the NeosTrack, apparently without warning to the public. After extensive trial and error, I discovered that it was indeed my NeosTrack head unit that was the problem and not the Ridesense as I had first thought. When I returned it to the dealer, even he did not know this had been discontinued. Giant told the dealer to refund my money. Basically screw Giant accessories in future.

Last edited by giantbiker47; 02-12-22 at 01:42 PM. Reason: closing out this thread, pointless.
Old 09-09-22, 03:22 AM
Silversalmon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantbiker47
I have a question to a problem that has both myself and my Giant dealer perplexed.

First the back story; Back in 2018, Giant replaced my crashed and broken TCR 3 with a Defy Advanced. At this time, I also added a Giant Neos basic computer and Ridesense that the bike is made for. It all seemed to work ok, but after a while, the Neos dropped all the stored data. After it did this again, I scrapped that and bought an iGSPORT computer that paired with the ridesense. Long story short, I ditched that one due to unacceptable Chines information demands and bought the NeosTrack. in June of 2020. Then I started to get issues. It took me some time to get used to it, but all in all, it does what I need, time, distance, cadence and heartrate, just the basics. However, the problem at first was it dropped cadence and distance was wrong. Speed seemed to be ok but may have been on the low side thinking about it now. What I figured out was the battery was loose and losing contact (or so I thought). I "fixed" that by adjusting the tiny + contacts and adding a small piece of extra foam under the cap. During the latter part of last year, it seemed to work fine, no issues after that. Moving on to now, I have my bike on a trainer in the house with GPS off. What happens now has me totally puzzled. The cadence and heartrate (Ant+) work without issue, but the speed drops every few seconds (about 45-60). I borrowed an older ridesense transmitter from the bike store manager and rode two test rides of 30 mins. It worked perfectly no speed dropping So, he loaned me a brand new Ridesense and right out of the box, same issue, dropping speed. I have checked and rechecked the magnet positions, red light comes on and I can hear that feint tick.

SO, here's the question; Is it just my bad luck or has anyone else had this problem?

Giant are useless with customer support, referring me to my dealer and he knows as much as I do except his Neostrack seems to work fine.

I'm at the point of ditching this, but I really can't afford the Garmin other than maybe changing the transmitter.

Help and advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: well I just found out that Giant have discontinued the NeosTrack, apparently without warning to the public. After extensive trial and error, I discovered that it was indeed my NeosTrack head unit that was the problem and not the Ridesense as I had first thought. When I returned it to the dealer, even he did not know this had been discontinued. Giant told the dealer to refund my money. Basically screw Giant accessories in future.
Hi,
I have just bought a Giant Fastroad Advanced 1 2022 bike and haven't yet taken delivery of it. I know that it's Ridesense ready The idea of it fitting nestly into the frame convinced me to get the Ridesense. Due to massive problems with Giant's supply chain, I went online to source the sensor. I bought a Ridesense Ant+ Bluetooth Sensor on ebay from a shop in Germany but it doesn't say anywhere if its the 2.0 or BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) version. I still think it might not be BLE. Am thinking of sending it back if its the wrong version. Worse still, I even sent the photos to Giant UK and they think it's 2.0. I've read somewhere, that unless it's BLE, it uses up battery life much quicker. I know you've had lots of problems with yours & your computer. Is yours BLE and any battery issues? I'm also going to get the Giant Neos Ant+ computer to pair with it - not the Track version. What do you think? Would appreciate any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-22, 08:58 AM
giantbiker47

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the third time, I'll try to respond to your question.
I'm sorry, but I do not know if my Ridesense is BLE or not. The only problem I had with it turned out to be battery connection and that was "fixed" with a small piece of urethane foam between the cap and battery. It has been fine since.
Anyway, I hope you solved your problem.
I'm dropping this forum as of now due to too many log in and posting issues
Old 09-22-22, 09:46 AM
Silversalmon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridesense Version

Thanks very much Biker47
Originally Posted by giantbiker47
For the third time, I'll try to respond to your question.
I'm sorry, but I do not know if my Ridesense is BLE or not. The only problem I had with it turned out to be battery connection and that was "fixed" with a small piece of urethane foam between the cap and battery. It has been fine since.
Anyway, I hope you solved your problem.
I'm dropping this forum as of now due to too many log in and posting issues
Old 09-22-22, 10:58 AM
giantbiker47

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No problem. I hope you enjoy your Ridesense.
I'm dropping out of the forum, so good luck with your riding.