Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Starting over again at 83

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Starting over again at 83

Old 02-21-22, 06:56 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 36 Posts
I’m 70 and have decided, at least for now, that the risk/reward favors continue to ride, with one caveat. I won’t ride on the streets here in Greater Boston area. While we are progressive with bike lanes the drivers around here are nuts. It’s not just distractions, it’s aggressive me first attitude. Stop signs, yellow/red lights are optional for many. We have a few very nice paved MUPs around here and that works fine for most of the year. During this winter though it’s back to riding inside on a stationary bike. Still risk falling on the paths but at least it’s not stressful. Cant see trying to stay fit and being anxious through most of the ride

The older I get, the better I was.
Just my .02, YMMV

Last edited by Jtmav; 02-21-22 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-22-22, 01:23 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
starting over a 83

Although I have many (some would describe as major) medical issues, I am in the 40 year range of competitive road cycling. After major crashes with injuries I always make myself get back on the bike. And after a few weeks find I can keep going. I am looking forward to 80+ at this years Nationals if I am still alive. I do subscribe to the "Harden the F... up" crowd and find I can still ride with the youngsters (50+); of course I now use a coach and do my intervals and group hammer sessions. It is something to live for!
Old 02-22-22, 01:27 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by RVwriter
When you get to be a geezer like I am, you can expect crazy things to go wrong with your body that will set back bike-riding to a degree you never expected.
Over the last five years, I've had to rethink my spring rides to compensate for some of those things. Prior to that, my seasonal beginning rides were simple and reasonable: a ten-mile bike-path journey (5 miles there and back), supported with two water-stops. By season's end, I was riding 20-35 miles per day with my long-term biking buddy, a retired clergyman.

Four years ago following some off-season health issues, my beginning rides were reduced to five miles, one way, with a pick-up by my wife at the end.
But even so, I gradually lengthened those trips to seven miles, then ten, and finally to 15 by season's end. I no longer tried -- or cared to try -- averaging 15 mph; I was happy to travel 9-12 mph.

In 2020, more health issues. My first ride was 1.5 mile with my wife picking me up at a parking lot. I discovered tight turns were suddenly a challenge, and safe stopping required that I lower my saddle more than it had ever been. Trip lengths increased very slowly and reached only seven miles by November. All my rides were solo because my hiking buddy now had cancer and would die the following February.

Last March, only three weeks out of the hospital, I rode just one mile and fell while turning around to ride back. I wasn't hurt, but I couldn't get to my feet and lay there until a friendly motorist stopped and helped me up. He offered to haul my bike and me back to my vehicle, but I insisted I needed to ride there. He said I was an inspiration to him! Ha!

The next day, I bought a folding cane and Velcro-taped it to my bike frame. Before season's end, I was riding 10 miles again. But I noticed that drivers were more aggressive and seemed to regard me as a target.

Another off-season health issue hit me hard and almost killed me (I lost half my body's blood supply). My weight dropped to just below what it was when I graduated from high school in 1957. I'm determined to get back on my bike as soon as the weather permits. But I'm aware my family's support of that goal has shrunk to its lowest point ever, and if I fall again and get hurt, they'll make me hang it up.

My plan: Do one-mile rides for a week or two, gradually increasing distances to (hopefully) 10 per day. Ride as often as possible with my granddaughter or one of my grandsons. Maybe inquire at the nearby old-folks village to see if anyone there wants to ride with me.

Or, I could just leave my bike hanging from the garage rafters and settle for walking around the block.
Don
I am the same age as you, will be 84 later this year. I have be extremely bless, the only time I played doctor was at 78 I had my appendix out. With the blessing of the doctor, after 3 weeks I went for a 20 mile bike ride. The reason for so soon was my operation was done with the DaVinci robot, that only put several small holes in me. Keep at it, and go to a trike if necessary, because if you set you rust.
Old 02-23-22, 09:05 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RVwriter
When you get to be a geezer like I am, you can expect crazy things to go wrong with your body that will set back bike-riding to a degree you never expected.
Over the last five years, I've had to rethink my spring rides to compensate for some of those things. Prior to that, my seasonal beginning rides were simple and reasonable: a ten-mile bike-path journey (5 miles there and back), supported with two water-stops. By season's end, I was riding 20-35 miles per day with my long-term biking buddy, a retired clergyman.

Four years ago following some off-season health issues, my beginning rides were reduced to five miles, one way, with a pick-up by my wife at the end.
But even so, I gradually lengthened those trips to seven miles, then ten, and finally to 15 by season's end. I no longer tried -- or cared to try -- averaging 15 mph; I was happy to travel 9-12 mph.

In 2020, more health issues. My first ride was 1.5 mile with my wife picking me up at a parking lot. I discovered tight turns were suddenly a challenge, and safe stopping required that I lower my saddle more than it had ever been. Trip lengths increased very slowly and reached only seven miles by November. All my rides were solo because my hiking buddy now had cancer and would die the following February.

Last March, only three weeks out of the hospital, I rode just one mile and fell while turning around to ride back. I wasn't hurt, but I couldn't get to my feet and lay there until a friendly motorist stopped and helped me up. He offered to haul my bike and me back to my vehicle, but I insisted I needed to ride there. He said I was an inspiration to him! Ha!

The next day, I bought a folding cane and Velcro-taped it to my bike frame. Before season's end, I was riding 10 miles again. But I noticed that drivers were more aggressive and seemed to regard me as a target.

Another off-season health issue hit me hard and almost killed me (I lost half my body's blood supply). My weight dropped to just below what it was when I graduated from high school in 1957. I'm determined to get back on my bike as soon as the weather permits. But I'm aware my family's support of that goal has shrunk to its lowest point ever, and if I fall again and get hurt, they'll make me hang it up.

My plan: Do one-mile rides for a week or two, gradually increasing distances to (hopefully) 10 per day. Ride as often as possible with my granddaughter or one of my grandsons. Maybe inquire at the nearby old-folks village to see if anyone there wants to ride with me.

Or, I could just leave my bike hanging from the garage rafters and settle for walking around the block.
Don
I am not in the 80s yet but I feel your pain. For my family's sake I have a bike hitched up to a trainer. I have a roller type and a fixed rear wheel trainer. Proving that I can ride in someone's sight seems to make them happy with my riding on the roads. I have not fallen off recently but there is always that risk, AND a reason to wear a helmet! It kills me to see folks of any age on the road without one.
Keep up the good work. Makes you young; keeps you young; well, maybe makes you THINK you're young...
Old 02-24-22, 11:52 AM
RVwriter

Bikes: 2017 Giant Cypress 24-speed & 2017 Giant Escape 21-speed

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Replies to Starting Over Again at 83

Computer failed, wouldn't let me reply appropriately to those who commented about my earlier post.

PeteHski: thanks for your best wishes.

boozergut: I’ve considered the trike as a future possibility, but so far I’m not ready to go there; maybe I will be at the same time I have to move to a wheelchair.

Carbonfiberboy: Your argument makes good sense, but due to foot problems related to diabetes, I can’t walk more than half mile without serious pain. Besides, I love the whole outdoor atmosphere of biking. Joined the gym but rarely used it; too boring. Attached a stationary wheel to my bike in my office & watched TV and listened to Spotify while riding but yearned for the sunlight and varied surroundings.

Spelger: See comment above about stationary riding. It’s now my fall-back exercise if I can’t build time on the bikeways. I have earphones with a long cord that plugs into my computer and a TV set for streaming.

Shelbyfv: Disagree completely with the value of a 10-mile ride (see note to Carbonfiberboy about walking. When I was a few years younger, I ignored the pain and walked 6-10 miles every day as fast as possible. Can’t do that now.

Downtube42: Good points. My views exactly. I always feel great pleasure on my first spring ride, even if I don’t make it very far. By fall, I’ve always been able to build up to at least 15 miles; it just takes a little longer to get there safely.

JohnE: I live in the back-country with narrow, dangerous roads and no walkways, so I can’t walk to anywhere without major risks. I can, however, walk around a nearby one-third-mile circular paved street, and I often do that when I can’t ride. Over the winter, the street was finally repaved, so it’s smooth enough for biking now, and as soon as the weather permits, I’ll ride around it as often as I can before moving to the bikeways.

Wildwood: Excellent advice. I recruited my wife to ride with me for a couple of years until her knees gave out and she had to stop. Found a biking buddy exactly my age, and we rode together 3-4 times a week for six years, and it was a blast for both of us! Then he got cancer and died last year. I sometimes ride with oldest daughter-in-law (she’s 60), my 25-year-old grandson, my 13-year-old granddaughter, but they have other life priorities and commitments. As you implied, health issues are too often mishandled. I had two of those, and I recently switched hospitals for all my blood pressure and cardiac care. My wife (with kidney failure and congestive heart failure) went to Cleveland Clinic for a “second opinion” and switched her care to a skilled cardiologist nearly three hours away.

GhostRider62: My biking devotion started in 2010, a year after bariatric surgery eliminated all my health problems and reduced my weight from 286 pounds to 166, and my diet and exercise programs since then have resulted in a weight of 149 today. Surprisingly, my diabetes returned late last year after a major blood loss brought on by medication conflicts.

Random11: I tried Ensure and hated the taste. Getting enough protein is a daily struggle. I drink Boost, but I mix it 50-50 with whole milk so a bottle lasts 2 days. I don’t eat red meat, so I’m constantly looking for food variety with protein. Most days, I have a soft poached egg mixed with veggies, fresh mushrooms, 2-3 kinds of shredded cheese, chia seeds and sometimes a small microwaved potato. Lots of nuts (especially pistachios), whole wheat or multi-grain breads (often with peanut butter or cream cheese). Several kinds of bean soup. Peppers stuffed with veggies, wild rice and sometimes a little hamburger. Fish, fish, fish, nearly always baked. Since I don’t have a thyroid, I mix an envelope of prebiotic Benefiber (kiwi/strawberry flavor) with water to prevent swings between diarrhea and constipation.

Philbob57: Thanks for your best wishes; it seems to me you’ve found the avenue that works best for you. Keep at it, Phil! Arthritis here too, but I avoid pain medications (can’t take aspirin) and don’t like the possible liver/kidney effects of acetaminophen/ibuprofen and use a heating pad at night if I can’t tough it out.

DowneasTTer: I am so glad to hear from you, Bruce! Very sorry about Cilla’s accident. She’s one tough lady! As I promised, I’m sending you an email. Today, if outside forces don’t stop me.

Fredo: I have to admit that falls are my biggest worry. I nearly fall multiple times every day, and I’ve had a few rather bad falls on my bike. But I won’t give up riding, even knowing more falls are probably ahead for me. And, as you said, biking is “very likely” to kill me. See my comment earlier about the trike. I can’t even imagine rollers!

Stevel610: Yeah, I can understand planning a switch from two wheels to three. I’m just not there yet. The fear of more cracked heads and off-balance falls is what causes me to start slowly each spring and gradually build up to where I want to be. Maybe at 83, that won’t work this year, but I’ve got to try it.

PeteHski: Amen, Pete! I won’t quit what I love to do: riding bikes and writing. I work in my home office 10-12 hours daily, 7 days per. I can’t NOT write just as I can’t NOT ride. I’ve written thousands of magazine articles, published 26 books and am currently at work on four books, including two updates, a new camping guide and a murder-mystery novel built around the #MeToo movement and the nation’s opioid crisis. I’ve also prepared detailed instructions for family to follow after I’m gone. I regard death as my last adventure.

Vintage Schwinn: Your advice is sound, and except for switching to a trike, I’m already following it. I do not ride where I have conflicts with automobiles. The nearby community of Goshen, Indiana, has several miles of off-street bikeways operated and maintained by the city, and it’s building more all the time as well as adding safety improvements. My only potential conflict with traffic is when crossing street intersections, and local residents are so accustomed to bikers, they nearly always wave me through. However, I dress to be seen: bright color shirts, and pants covered by a fluorescent safety vest, a helmet with flashing lights and a flashing handlebar light. After I fell last year on my initial ride, I bought a folding cane that I Velcro-taped to my bike frame so that I don’t have to get up under my own power. BTW: My favorite ride is within sight of the hospital where I’ve made countless visits. Swimming is a possibility if and when the biking stops. Nearly all my rides are circular in nature because I have to transport the bike by car to the bikeway; about half my rides early in the season, however, are one-way trips involving a family member who drops me off and picks me up. Several family members volunteer for that job. However, if I switch to a trike, I’ll need help loading it on or in a vehicle, and I won’t be able to use the bike rack I now own. Besides Goshen’s multiple bikeways, our area is fortunate to have a closed-to-traffic county bikeway that stretches 17 miles (one way) through Amish farmland and connects three communities. I rode that 34-mile trip numerous times until a couple of years ago; it has two hill challenges that I’m not sure I could climb now, but my goal is to ride at least part of that route this year. On my 75th birthday, I tried to ride 75 miles on that bikeway but pooped out at 51 miles. I will give your trike advice a lot of thought.

Fat Biker: I’m taking the great feedback to heart.

JTMav: Admittedly, my rides are more anxious and stressful. I focus full attention on the ride, the route and the nearby traffic which might turn into a driveway ahead of me. Temporarily, at least, I’ve stopped listening to music while I ride.

fastcarbon: In my younger days (during my 70s), I did not ride in any competition, but I hated to be passed by anyone! I timed every ride, trying to set a new personal speed record each time out. My best long ride was 34 miles averaging just over 15mph, but I ended up in the hospital later that day because my wife thought I had a heart attack (I didn’t). On that same trip, a twenty-something lady in a pink outfit on a pink bike passed me going about 30 mph and shouted, “How does it feel to be passed by a girl?” I just laughed and never again tried to ride as fast as I could.

rydebent: Please keep at it too, if you can. If we’re gonna rust, we’ll have to stop riding in the rain! How awful that would be!

sbrudno: I nagged my long-term biking buddy about wearing a helmet, and finally he agreed to do it, pointing out that I was three weeks older than he and therefore much wiser.

Don
Likes For RVwriter:
Old 02-27-22, 10:13 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
RVwriter, I applaud your efforts. Keep it up.

I've posted this in two other threads in this forum (50+):

I respect people's decisions, and my comments are meant to be general, not aimed at individuals. Also, interests change.

My perception of many of the posts on this forum (50+) is that a lot folks are talking themselves into being older than the are chronologically and physically. Several of my friends have quit riding due to "age".

I've cycled seriously most of my adult life: recreational riding, racing, and touring. I was also very lucky to marry a women, a former triathlete, who is also an avid cyclist; so she rides with me rather than sitting home worrying about me. She still regularly hits 40+ mph on downhills. If I quit riding, it would affect her a lot. In the last 12 years, not counting Covid years, we have toured over 22,000 miles in 11 different countries. This included riding across the U.S. and most of Canada. We will finish Canada when the Covid situation allows.

Sometimes not listening to those little voices in our head may be the right thing to do. Me being 79 years old my hearing aids don't help much hearing those little voices well.

I'm a lucky guy!

Last edited by Doug64; 02-27-22 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-02-22, 06:43 AM
RVwriter

Bikes: 2017 Giant Cypress 24-speed & 2017 Giant Escape 21-speed

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Luck and good fortune

Doug64, you are, indeed, one lucky guy. Having a life companion who participates in rides and travels with you -- or, to be more factual -- you with HER! I miss the rides my wife and I enjoyed together for a few years until her knees gave out.

Hearing aids are something else! I'm fortunate to have a set that adjusts to different environmental noise clutter and delivers a wide range of serenades directly into my ears via Bluetooth and a subscription to Spotify. They haven't had much use during the last couple of years because, for the first time in my biking life, I've felt obligated to concentrate fully on the ride. Can't be distracted by the dramatic soundtrack from "Last of the Mohicans" or the updated masterpieces of Electric Light Orchestra.
Old 03-09-22, 09:57 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I’ve enjoyed reading this thread. Not much to add.

I’m in South Florida and have an e bike and I ride a lot, but I still worry about LOLs taking me out.

I recall the book Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. It talks about compression of morbidity and other aging issues. The author makes a case to cut the elderly as much slack as possible as they tend to do better with more freedom, not less.

The devil is in the details I suppose.

My wife and I mutually agree that if we develop an irreversible neurological issue, neither of us would accept a feeding tube, with or without Ensure. We had two elderly relatives die of Alheimers, neither of whom received a feeding tube. It was a blessing not to prolong their death.

My $2 worth.

Old 03-17-22, 09:20 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've said it before. Our club has a small group they call the "40 group." They were all born in 1940. Yep, they're all 82 sometime this year. They all still do 40-50 mile rides with the group, or more on occasion. Some are faster than most, some are slower. Some are on uprights, some are on recumbents. I don't think any are on trikes; but that would be OK too. Sometimes those trikes can be little hot-rods.
Old 03-17-22, 09:48 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Turning 80 April 2nd.
Now having problems with AFIB.

Have two trikes ready to roll.

Old 03-17-22, 09:49 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Turning 80 April 2nd.

Old 03-17-22, 09:50 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Turning 80 April 2nd.

Old 03-17-22, 06:49 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've said it before. Our club has a small group they call the "40 group." They were all born in 1940. Yep, they're all 82 sometime this year. They all still do 40-50 mile rides with the group, or more on occasion. Some are faster than most, some are slower. Some are on uprights, some are on recumbents. I don't think any are on trikes; but that would be OK too. Sometimes those trikes can be little hot-rods.
Posts like yours are inspiring to us younger riders. (I was born in 1950.) Right now, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be riding into my 80s, but I'm also aware that health issues can pop up at any time. Thanks for sharing that bit of optimism for us youngsters!
Old 03-18-22, 02:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Posts like yours are inspiring to us younger riders. (I was born in 1950.) Right now, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be riding into my 80s, but I'm also aware that health issues can pop up at any time. Thanks for sharing that bit of optimism for us youngsters!
Thanks, but I should make special note that I'm not in that group. I was born in 1955; so I'm even younger than you! One member has done DALMAC over 40 times, and I don't see him quitting anytime soon.
Old 04-23-22, 09:15 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
I read through the later post here and one thing different about walking and ridding is in 30 minute walk you may get around the block but on a bike you may have gone through several subdivisions. I am 81 and my wife walks while I ride. Later in the car she is amazed all the places i go on my short bike rides. I have had a hard time walking for more than 30 years ,feet hurt bad. I had bitten the bullet and gone on many long hikes here in NC and Arizona trail. I like building bikes so I always have something new to test ride. I guess you just have to do what you are comfortable with. One thing I noticed even though i have balance problems it does not effect my bike riding.
Ed
Likes For EddyR: