Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bikes at organized events, bike envy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bikes at organized events, bike envy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 12:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
But I know that a lot of people would be deterred from getting into cycling because of this attitude. They don't want to show up with "lesser" equipment, or they think they need the latest and greatest to be able to partake, which saddens and angers me. The enjoyment of cycling does not depend on your equipment. I have even had friends of mine say they don't want to partake in these events because they don't have a "good bike", which is a real shame. I am sure they could enjoy the sport on an old bike, or even a city bike or hybrid.
In that case, it is up to you, maartendc, to organize a cycling event for just you and your friends (who do not want to partake in those organized events, i.e., bike shows) to show them how enjoyable cycling could be among like-minded people, even with "lesser" equipment.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 04-25-22 at 04:10 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-25-22, 01:34 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Checking out the equipment of others happens in all amateur sports, be it golf, tennis, softball, bowling, sailing, skiing, or cycling. Part of it involves a level of envy, but I think most of it is more a matter of curiosity of what others are using or doing. My bike is middle of the pack, but for some packs it might be at the top and for others it might be at the bottom. But, I've never heard anyone complain about someone else at the event having better gear than them or that they couldn't keep up because their bike was not as expensive as someone else's.

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is in looking at or talking about someone's gear. Sometimes it's just fun to see what is out there. Sometimes you learn about something that will make your riding more fun or safe, such as the Varia or better lights, or different chain lube methods.

It's all good.
Old 04-25-22, 01:55 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,999 Posts
That was not my point at all. My point is not what other people would think of my bike.

I was merely commenting on the fact that most people seem to want or need the latest and greatest, which surprised me. It is also a comment that this pervasive attitude I think turns a lot of potential cyclists off from the sport, which would be a shame. I have seen this first hand, where some friends or colleagues wouldn;t partake in these kinds of events because they don't have a carbon road bike.
But you have already stated that it doesn't put you off going to these events personally. Okay I get that you may have a few anecdotal stories of friends not wanting to show up because they don't think their bike is good enough. But let's be realistic, these are not the sort of people who would be going to big bike events anyway. I know plenty of people with older bikes who don't give a monkeys what everyone else is riding (just like you)

So what's your proposed solution? A ban on expensive bikes at bike events? Am I supposed to turn up on an old bike just on the off-chance one of your friends might be put off entering?

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-25-22 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-25-22, 02:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Fancy bikes don't impress me. Even my own.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-25-22, 03:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
It is also a comment that this pervasive attitude I think turns a lot of potential cyclists off from the sport, which would be a shame. I have seen this first hand, where some friends or colleagues wouldn;t partake in these kinds of events because they don't have a carbon road bike.
It's a pretty big jump from not wanting to attend organized events to being turned off to the sport of cycling.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-25-22, 04:13 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
But you have already stated that it doesn't put you off going to these events personally. Okay I get that you may have a few anecdotal stories of friends not wanting to show up because they don't think their bike is good enough. But let's be realistic, these are not the sort of people who would be going to big bike events anyway. I know plenty of people with older bikes who don't give a monkeys what everyone else is riding (just like you)
So what's your proposed solution? A ban on expensive bikes at bike events? Am I supposed to turn up on an old bike just on the off-chance one of your friends might be put off entering?
Don't think there needs a 'solution'.
my take on the initial OP was it's an observation. Didn't take it as a rant. Of course in subsequent posts comes the opinion. But that's ok also. We all have them, opinions, and we carry them everywhere we go. They only become a problem when they affect 'tolerance'.
Riders all have and make their own choices - the great thing about cycling.
The solution? Diversity, and cycling has that in spades these days. 'Inclusion' is what we all are able to bring to riding. That doesn't necessarily mean dragging others to do things they don;t want to do. Inclusion starts with a smile and maybe "A Great Day for a ride!" (even though it might not be our cuppa tea).
Ok, maybe thats the solution.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 04-25-22, 04:17 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
I want all the bikes, so yes bike envy does happen, but I also love 2 out of my 3 bikes so that helps.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 04-25-22, 04:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Checking out the equipment of others happens in all amateur sports, be it golf, tennis, softball, bowling, sailing, skiing, or cycling. Part of it involves a level of envy, but I think most of it is more a matter of curiosity of what others are using or doing. My bike is middle of the pack, but for some packs it might be at the top and for others it might be at the bottom. But, I've never heard anyone complain about someone else at the event having better gear than them or that they couldn't keep up because their bike was not as expensive as someone else's.

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is in looking at or talking about someone's gear. Sometimes it's just fun to see what is out there. Sometimes you learn about something that will make your riding more fun or safe, such as the Varia or better lights, or different chain lube methods.

It's all good.
Very well said. This extends to any human activity, not just amateur sports. There will always be some who buy high end equipment to signal wealth or intent, and some who take equipment worship so far that it detracts from their own (and others') enjoyment of the activity; just ignore these people. Their overspending partly pays for the R&D which benefits everyone. As an inveterate tinkerer myself, curiosity >> envy.
Old 04-25-22, 04:42 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Very well said. This extends to any human activity, not just amateur sports. There will always be some who buy high end equipment to signal wealth or intent, and some who take equipment worship so far that it detracts from their own (and others') enjoyment of the activity; just ignore these people. Their overspending partly pays for the R&D which benefits everyone. As an inveterate tinkerer myself, curiosity >> envy.
There will also be people who buy high end stuff just because they can and enjoy it, and not to signal anything.

There will always be some with more and some with less regardless of where the line of demarcation is set.

I don't view spending on high end stuff overspending. The spending is good for the economy and development.
Old 04-25-22, 05:10 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
As stated previously, I ride vintage bikes. One yearly event I do is coming up next month. My tradition for that event is to acquire a different bike, fix it up and ride it. Usually the bike only gets a short shakedown ride to make sure everything works before the event. It's a century with lots of climbing, descending, etc. The ultimate blind test for the bike. Bikes from the early 70s up to the late 80s. So far I've yet to be disappointed.
Old 04-25-22, 06:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Mojo31
There will also be people who buy high end stuff just because they can and enjoy it, and not to signal anything.

There will always be some with more and some with less regardless of where the line of demarcation is set.

I don't view spending on high end stuff overspending. The spending is good for the economy and development.
Right; I did not state that everyone who buy high end stuff necessarily (a) do so to signal wealth or intent or (b) overspend.
Old 04-25-22, 06:44 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I do a lot of t-shirt/charity/organized event rides in the spring here around Houston and I always love looking at everyone's bikes - because I love bikes. But I also love seeing the people who drop $6,000 on your typical carbon bike from the usual places, and then watch them on the struggle bus on the hills & in the wind. Meanwhile, my 5'5" self is pedaling past them at a nice consistent pace on my 1987 steel frame Cilo with original Shimano 600 groupset including friction downtube shifting. It's a rewarding feeling that no matter how much you let a bike shop sales guy sucker you into spending - it's still the rider that makes the difference. I never felt dirty or like a lower class citizen because I was on an old clunker - because to the people that matter they know it's not an old clunker at all - it's a gorgeous piece of vintage bikeness. And even if you do show up on a Walmart Special - good bike people will just be as happy as you that you're out there anyway.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 04-26-22, 01:55 AM
tajimirich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I don't have bike envy because it's purely a financial thing and i don't think there's much sense in comparing disposable income...

i'm envious, in a kind of contemptuous way, of cycling bodies, particularly the Japanese guys who like to whizz by me up slopes... i weigh about 30g more than them so, like, what's the point in buzzing by me?

if i ever get down to my target weight i'll still be heavier than all of them.. sadly if i ever go to le tour i'd have to content myself with sprint wins and the odd breakaway in the first couple of weeks...

still, it's got to be said, climbing up hills and the like is definitely gonna be easier when u weigh 60-odd kilos and have the body fat of a japanese club rider who trains all year round- so yeah, i envy their genes
Old 04-26-22, 04:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I see plenty of people with bike enve. It's hard to miss when huge logos are in plain sight.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-26-22, 10:38 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by tajimirich
i'm envious, in a kind of contemptuous way, of cycling bodies, particularly the Japanese guys who like to whizz by me up slopes... i weigh about 30g more than them so, like, what's the point in buzzing by me?
You mean 30 kg? So you are contemptuously envious of lighter Japanese guys climbing much faster than you?
Old 04-26-22, 12:42 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,999 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Don't think there needs a 'solution'.
my take on the initial OP was it's an observation. Didn't take it as a rant. Of course in subsequent posts comes the opinion. But that's ok also. We all have them, opinions, and we carry them everywhere we go. They only become a problem when they affect 'tolerance'.
Riders all have and make their own choices - the great thing about cycling.
The solution? Diversity, and cycling has that in spades these days. 'Inclusion' is what we all are able to bring to riding. That doesn't necessarily mean dragging others to do things they don;t want to do. Inclusion starts with a smile and maybe "A Great Day for a ride!" (even though it might not be our cuppa tea).
Ok, maybe thats the solution.
Ride On
Yuri
It was a rhetorical question of course. I don't think there is actually a real problem here that requires a solution. I agree the original post was posed as an inoccent observation, but I could see straight through that, lol. I haven't personally witnessed any bike envy at organised events from those riding older bikes. Everyone just seems happy to be there. Yes there are often many expensive bikes around, but I see a wide variety of models too. For every S-Works build I see, there are plenty of budget builds and the odd vintage bike.
Old 04-26-22, 03:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I was merely commenting on the fact that most people seem to want or need the latest and greatest, which surprised me.
There was a bike boom during the covid lockdowns. Bike shops sold out of everything and did very well for themselves, people said it became very hard to find any bikes at all. So it makes sense that a lot of new bikes would be on the road.
Old 04-26-22, 03:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I do a lot of t-shirt/charity/organized event rides in the spring here around Houston and I always love looking at everyone's bikes - because I love bikes. But I also love seeing the people who drop $6,000 on your typical carbon bike from the usual places, and then watch them on the struggle bus on the hills & in the wind. Meanwhile, my 5'5" self is pedaling past them at a nice consistent pace on my 1987 steel frame Cilo with original Shimano 600 groupset including friction downtube shifting. It's a rewarding feeling that no matter how much you let a bike shop sales guy sucker you into spending - it's still the rider that makes the difference. I never felt dirty or like a lower class citizen because I was on an old clunker - because to the people that matter they know it's not an old clunker at all - it's a gorgeous piece of vintage bikeness. And even if you do show up on a Walmart Special - good bike people will just be as happy as you that you're out there anyway.
You love seeing people struggle during a noncompetitive event?
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-26-22, 04:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
You love seeing people struggle during a noncompetitive event?
Only if the people that are struggling are suckers that got taken at the LBS, which is apparently anyone that rides a nicer bike than him.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-26-22, 05:31 PM
tajimirich

You mean 30 kg? So you are contemptuously envious of lighter Japanese guys climbing much faster than you?
almost more like them buzzing past me extremely quickly and checking back over their shoulder

either way it's certainly a bit lame on my part
Old 04-26-22, 06:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

almost more like them buzzing past me extremely quickly and checking back over their shoulder

either way it's certainly a bit lame on my part
No worries, it is all in good fun. Maybe they are merely surprised that a gaijin who is not on the World Tour is ascending Mt. Fuji, albeit at a slightly less brisk pace.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-26-22, 06:31 PM
tajimirich

No worries, it is all in good fun. Maybe they are merely surprised that a gaijin who is not on the World Tour is ascending Mt. Fuji, albeit at a slightly less brisk pace.
haha true that, they aughta see me rocketing down the other side the great ones make them wait hahaha
Old 04-26-22, 06:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I don't have bike envy because it's purely a financial thing and i don't think there's much sense in comparing disposable income...

if i ever get down to my target weight i'll still be heavier than all of them.. sadly if i ever go to le tour i'd have to content myself with sprint wins and the odd breakaway in the first couple of weeks...

still, it's got to be said, climbing up hills and the like is definitely gonna be easier when u weigh 60-odd kilos and have the body fat of a japanese club rider who trains all year round- so yeah, i envy their genes
When a little featherweight passes you, just do what I do, challenge them to a Greco-Roman wrestling match.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-26-22, 06:57 PM
tajimirich

Originally Posted by big john
When a little featherweight passes you, just do what I do, challenge them to a Greco-Roman wrestling match.
paint the roads red

the guy who most recently triggered me went a bit up the road then stopped behind a truck because he didn't want to ride in the median and blocked my less-picky way around the traffic... my wahoo chirped at him angrily and he winced... i cruised away with a grim smirk, once that traffic finally roared off... i think i won that one

Last edited by tajimirich; 04-26-22 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-26-22, 10:56 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

haha true that, they aughta see me rocketing down the other side the great ones make them wait hahaha
Sorry, their advantage during the climb far exceeds your advantage on the descent, so they won't be around. Next time when they pass you, just engage them in a discussion about how much work it takes to shave your manly leg hair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.