Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of getting a new cruiser….which one?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 05:23 AM
Frednwilma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m looking at getting a new cruiser. I haven’t been on a bike for 8+ years and currently own an off brand mountain bike. I want something to use for bike paths and just around my neighborhood to help stay active and get out of the house. Something easy and fun to ride. I’m really interested in the Electra cruiser 7 speed. We have some hilly terrain but not a lot…more longer, slow inclines that for an 50+ person could cause difficulty in getting up the hill, cuz I’m not in the greatest of shape. My concern with the Electra cruiser is I’ve read some reviews stating due to the gear ratio, fast descents can be problematic especially on gravel/bike paths. Reviewers std. the back break was not breaking, leading to spin outs at the bottom of a hill.

Does anyone know anything about the stopping power of this bike? I certainly don’t need any unexpected wipeouts due to faulty/ poorly integrated components. I’m also interested in the Firmstrong Urban and possibly the Six Three Zero Around The Block as well as the Retrospec Chatham Plus. Does anyone have any of these bikes that could comment towards their performance?

Also, I’ve read it’s not all that easy to stand up on these bikes when climbing uphill. Is that true? I usually stand up when trying to get uphill…or maybe cuz I’m older I need to let the gears do the work for me & stay in the saddle?

Thanks!!
Old 04-05-22, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Cruisers are for a more relaxed ride at a leisurely pace. Not riding at a energy level where you want to break a sweat. If you like to ride at a higher effort all the time, then a cruiser might not be for you.

I wouldn't worry about the gearing for downhill as much as I would the gearing for uphill. So if you consider one, make sure that low ratio gear is as low as what you use now. For downhill, while it's annoying to some of us, you can always coast..

I don't know how well the cruiser type geometry does for standing. I haven't had a cruiser since I became more bicycle aware. I do remember they were comfortable, but they took more effort to get the same higher speeds that you can on a road bike. I almost always sit while going up a hill on my road bike and I'm not a shabby climber around here. I seldom get passed on a hill I'm attacking. I do have a couple of the nearby KOM's. But not a lot of people make their rides public, so maybe I'm only a so so climber

As for braking, it depends on what you expect. Rear brakes always will come off as being ineffective to noobs to cycling. Dynamic forces shift when decelerating with brakes and weight comes off of the rear wheel which allows it to lock up easier and skid. So maybe some of the complaints are first timers cycling or maybe first timers with disc brakes. I had to learn to be easier on the brake levers, particularly the rear brake when I went to disc.

You should go and try one out. Bike shops around here don't mind you trying them out, other places they don't let you. Maybe travel to another city where they do let you try them out. If you like it and buy it, then tell your local shop why you bought from a shop 200 miles away.

Oh and we are opinionated around here. So don't take offense. Just pick the opinion that seems like it will work for you and go with it.

Welcome to BF!
Old 04-05-22, 08:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
I don't have any experience riding these types of bikes but if I was looking for something to go up and down any substantial hills it wouldn't be a 40 pound behemoth like the things you mentioned.
If the budget is that tight I would look for a nice used hardtail or fully rigid mountain bike. They'll go anywhere, they stop, and they can be comfortable.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-05-22, 10:35 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I don't have any experience riding these types of bikes but if I was looking for something to go up and down any substantial hills it wouldn't be a 40 pound behemoth like the things you mentioned.
If the budget is that tight I would look for a nice used hardtail or fully rigid mountain bike. They'll go anywhere, they stop, and they can be comfortable.
I would be looking for a fully rigid aluminum frame with aluminum or carbon fork that would take some nice wide smooth tires. If I wanted an upright cruiser geometry just pick a more upright frame and add some cruiser bars.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 04-05-22, 03:22 PM
big john

Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I would be looking for a fully rigid aluminum frame with aluminum or carbon fork that would take some nice wide smooth tires. If I wanted an upright cruiser geometry just pick a more upright frame and add some cruiser bars.
There are some decent hybrid bikes out there which are fairly lightweight, as well as flat bar road bikes.
Old 04-25-22, 03:11 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
I realize the thread is 20 days old, but not a lot of replies. I know nothing about cruisers, but you might try the Beach Cruisers forum on this site. Should have better luck with suggestions.
Old 05-01-22, 08:23 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Check out the Specialized Roll or the Momentum Vida.
Old 05-03-22, 07:36 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
My classic no-suspension mountain bike (see signature) is all the "cruiser" I would ever want.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 05-11-22, 09:02 AM
Frednwilma

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still trying to decide…

Well, I narrowed it down to a speedy little fitness bike…Felt Verza Speed 50 Mid-step and the Momentum Vida. I started another thread last night…guess I should have just replied here. That Felt bike isn’t the comfort bike I originally was looking for but it goes up hill so effortlessly and the shifters are like butter. It is a bit too speedy for me in the long run but I can put a slightly bigger tire on it and a more comfy seat. That Felt sure did put a smile on my face tho…I thoroughly enjoyed that ride!! The Vida step thru is kinda the opposite of that little speed demon Felt, but has a smooth ride, super wide tires, shifts well but I have to put in a bit of effort to get up the hill…still very comfortable bike. So now I’m not sure which one to get!

The Vida would be better for comfort in the coming years but that Felt makes the uphills so comfortable it’s hard to pass up …And as I get older that would be a huge plus too! Going back to the LBS to ride them again…maybe put a more comfy seat on the Felt and see how it feels…anyone know how much a bike would pick up speed wise going from a 2.4” tire to 45 or 50 MM? Or how much a bike would slow down/add extra comfort if going from a 35 mm tire to a 38 mm tire with decreased air in them?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-22, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Just to keep you unsure what to get, have you seen the Specialized Rolls?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...es/roll/c/roll

If you climb a lot of hills and ride long, then bike weight will be a factor. But the Roll and Vida have a higher stack and other geometry that will be more comfortable for leisurely riding. And some of the Roll's seem to be geared with low ratios that will help for climbs.