Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Sears 10 Speed touring bike history/value

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 11-27-17, 05:27 PM
getoutside

Bikes: Old Sears 10 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up this bike at an estate sale for 20 bux, just to see if bike riding could be something I could get into for fun and exercise. Curious about its value which might affect how much I need to spend on stuff like bike locks. Pics to follow but it is a 26”, has a logo that says, “Sears Roebuck, made in France”

Last edited by getoutside; 11-27-17 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 11-27-17, 05:50 PM
getoutside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, can’t post pics til I have at least 10 posts.
Old 11-27-17, 05:54 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
Years ago I bought a poncho at Sears. But then found out it wasnt a real poncho. I would think that 10 speed touring bike may be similar.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 11-27-17, 05:59 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 133 Posts
I'm almost sure you can use the "Manage attachments" button in the "Additional Options" - "Attach files" section when you write your reply to upload a picture. I believe I did that when I had < 10 posts in august.
Old 11-27-17, 06:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...if it actually says "Sears" on it, it's a lower end bike boom sort of thing. Most of what Sears sold branded "Sears" was Taiwanese entry level stuff, but they also sourced some that were American made and even lower on the quality scale.

In the era when Sears was actually sourcing and selling some quality stuff, they had some Austrian made JC Higgins bikes that were solid, if unremarkable, and the Ted Williams branded 531 framed bike that you see every now and then. Still not great, but at least an attempt at a first level bike. I have a long history as a Sears fan, going all the way back to my childhood in the 50's and 60's when we ordered stuff from the catalog.

What happened to Sears over the years makes me sad.
Old 11-28-17, 07:05 AM
dparks

Bikes: 1970 Gitane, 1989 Schwinn 564

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I believe that the quality varies regarding Sears bikes. I rebuilt a 1973 Ted Williams model (top of their line up) that was built by Puch in Austria. I've had it for sale on CL for a year for a fair price - cannot get any interest. Guess I will just keep for nostalgia.
Old 11-28-17, 07:17 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
One of the great failures in American retail history. And although changing markets played a role, a lot of their wounds were self inflicted.
Old 11-28-17, 07:51 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's interesting that it was manufactured in France, yet uses 26"wheels. A lot of American companies made the quick conversion to 10 speeds by converting existing middleweight, 3 speed designs and this sounds like one of those. We'd need pictures and the serial number to be sure but the prime candidate for the source would be Motobecane, as they seem to have been the most popular contractor for American brands.
Old 11-28-17, 03:18 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

Made in France Sears are typically manufactured by Motobecane. Expect it will have a lugged head paired with lugless seat cluster and lugless shell. Most common finish is a deep green lacquer.

Like T-Mar, find "26" wheels" to be a contradiction. If they really are 26" perhaps they have been replaced by a previous owner.

-----
Old 11-29-17, 02:53 PM
getoutside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
I'm almost sure you can use the "Manage attachments" button in the "Additional Options" - "Attach files" section when you write your reply to upload a picture. I believe I did that when I had < 10 posts in august.
Thanks! I went to the advanced options but it still won't allow yet. However, this is my 6th post, and I can post 4 more times before I reach my daily limit... so the first thing I'll do tomorrow is post some pictures! I have in the meantime gleaned some good info just clicking around the forums.
Old 11-29-17, 03:38 PM
getoutside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Made in France Sears are typically manufactured by Motobecane. Expect it will have a lugged head paired with lugless seat cluster and lugless shell. Most common finish is a deep green lacquer.

Like T-Mar, find "26" wheels" to be a contradiction. If they really are 26" perhaps they have been replaced by a previous owner.

-----
I don't know anything about bikes except how to ride one so take my description with a grain of salt. Husband advised me that the measurement is from the front fork where the wheel attaches to the top of where the handlebars attach, and this is 26". As for calling it a touring bike, it has a rear bike rack, upright riding posture with straight handlebars and a pretty cushy seat. As I looked closer to the insignia, it does say "10 speed racer" on it. Maybe it has been modified from original somehow, I don't really know. It all looks older to me. Your description of the bike seems accurate if I understand it, right down to the green laquer!
Old 11-29-17, 04:06 PM
getoutside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
With the exception of just a couple of bikes like the 531 Ted Williams model, no one really wants old Sears bike. Its the Walmart bike of that era. Would make a good college campus bike. $20 sounds about right value wise, but if it needs a lot of work, could be no value. Easy to get upside down fixing bikes like this (spend more than bike is worth). Now if it just needs some lubrication, good deal.

Even new tires could put you upside down. Around here, the co-op sells good used tires cheap. That would be the route I would take if I was fixing it up. Paying a bike shop to do repairs and you will be over its value for sure!

If it gets you out and exercising, then $20 is a smoking hot deal. Tires, brake pads, cables, chain, bearings and grease are common maintenance needs on neglected bikes.

For people that just want some exercise and are new to bikes, I routinely recommend a bike shop branded vintage rigid frame mountain bike (MTB). These MTBs will have better wheels, better brakes, easier gearing, take standard parts, and are usually very affordable. My own "go to" bike is a vintage MTB I picked up at a garage sale for $15. Sure it was scraped up, and needed some love, but underneath all that was a pretty decent bike. All the expensive bikes I own, this $15 is the one I take out the most.
This is neither the Ted Williams or the Puch as far as I can tell. It is however in excellent condition. We spent a little time getting the cobwebs off (literally) and cleaning it off, then aired up the tires, greased and manipulated the derailleur and it was ready to go. My husband's 20-ish year old "cutting edge bitd" Cannondale racing bike didn't fare so well; we had to spend $75 bux on new tires and tubes to get it up to snuff. We took them out yesterday for about 12 miles. Since I have never actually ridden a "good" bike, this one seemed just fine! I'm not very good at shifting, and so far my 10 speed has just been a 3 speed for me, LOL! I will keep in mind the rigid frame MTB. This one was just for me to get my feet wet and see if I actually wanted to do the bike thing. The only things it looks like I will need to spend any money on, I would need anyway - like helmet, lock, etc.
Old 11-29-17, 04:18 PM
juvela

-----

regarding wheel size -

it will be marked on the sidewall of the bicycle's tyres. for 26" one would expect a marking of 26 X 1 3/8. for 27", the size we would expect, it would be marked 27 X 1 1/4,

Motobecane identification -

the fork crown will likely be wearing a chrome cap with a winged M logo like this one:

-----
Old 11-29-17, 04:56 PM
getoutside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately there is no cool winged logo! And you are correct-the wheel does say 27 x 1 1/4. I found the serial numbers when the bike was upside down. They were right below the pedal crank. the numbers are: 517 473010 and below that: 1625789. I took a series of pictures of stuff like: the pedal crank with the words "aduprat" and "universel", the various logo stickers on the bike, the seat, the serial numbers, etc. Maybe tomorrow I will be allowed to post a link to the photos!
Old 11-30-17, 12:24 PM
T-Mar

The dual serial numbers and formats are typical of Motobecane and they appear to have been purely sequential during this era. Based on samples in my database, the subject bicycle would appear to be circa 1972. 27" wheels make a lot more sense.
Old 12-01-17, 05:46 PM
getoutside

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing your expertise, all! Sounds like my bike is low value to bike thieves which is good news to me! Good advice from someone on the bike lock thread: why not get a decent lock that can be used on an upgraded bike if/when I get one? We've taken them out for a couple of 10-12 mile rides and I dig it, and my husband is kinda psyched about dusting off his old racing bike too! So maybe there will be an upgrade in my future, but this one is good for now. Here are some

photos of my new old bike.

Last edited by getoutside; 12-01-17 at 05:59 PM. Reason: add a comment
Old 12-01-17, 05:57 PM
T-Mar

It's a re-branded Motobecane Nobly.
Old 12-01-17, 07:19 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
pix assist
Old 12-01-17, 08:15 PM
juvela

-----

As regards dating -

You may be able to confirm T-Mar's date of 1972 by taking a look at the cycle's wheel rims. It is likely constructed with RIGIDA SUPERCHROMIX rims. Where the name and size are stamped in there is a small diamond symbol. This may have a two digit number in its centre. It is fairly small so you will need to look in good light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rigida rim date marking .jpg (258.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 12-01-17, 11:19 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I'm not sure what the question is really other than how much is it worth - no idea. More importantly, cool bike!

That's a nice vintage utility bike. Charming. And it has the original dual pivot brakes that Shimano copied. Amazing condition. It is a quality bike. Not a luxury or super lightweight bike, but not junk. Should be good for cruising around town or picking up groceries.
Old 12-03-17, 09:22 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

I have a long history as a Sears fan, going all the way back to my childhood in the 50's and 60's when we ordered stuff from the catalog.

I didn't hit the scene until the 60's, and we always ordered stuff from the Montgomery Wards catalog. I can remember waiting for ever in their catalog department waiting to get a catalog order filled in the 70's. RIDICULOUS!

Sears was awful. Treated me like a criminal on a tire warranty 20 years ago. I mean the main repair guy was like threatening?
Lousy customer service forever! I could write a small essay about the nonsense I experienced with Sears. Way before Lampert saw realestate value in their stores.
Old 12-03-17, 12:45 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Off subject, but I worked at Sears in college for a while (1976+/-). They would schedule us to work 3 3/4 hours just to avoid having to give us a fifteen minute break. I took the bus out to the mall, got minimum wage, and worked just 3 3/4 hours. I might have netted $5 for a shift. They also required us to interrogate customers that brought in returns. And even then, we couldn't approve it without the manager signing off.

I finally wised up and got a job on campus.

I have avoided Sears ever since. They never understood that today's employee could be tomorrow's customer.
Old 12-06-17, 08:23 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by getoutside
. . . I found the serial numbers when the bike was upside down. They were right below the pedal crank. the numbers are: 517 473010 and below that: 1625789. . . .
The numbers "517 473010" are Sears Roebuck numbers. 517 is a Sears Roebuck code for the manufacturer/supplier of the product; 473010 is the Sears Roebuck catalogue number.

1625789 is probably the frame manufacturers serial number.
Old 12-06-17, 09:00 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Off subject, but I worked at Sears in college for a while (1976+/-). They would schedule us to work 3 3/4 hours just to avoid having to give us a fifteen minute break. I took the bus out to the mall, got minimum wage, and worked just 3 3/4 hours. I might have netted $5 for a shift. They also required us to interrogate customers that brought in returns. And even then, we couldn't approve it without the manager signing off.

I finally wised up and got a job on campus.

I have avoided Sears ever since. They never understood that today's employee could be tomorrow's customer.
Wife and I walked thru Sears today. It was sad. Virtually empty of customers. No music playing. One of the employees was sitting ON the checkout counter near the door. They aren't long for this world.
Old 03-05-22, 03:09 PM
356geoff 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 35 Posts
Frank Zappa