Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMC Owners . . . any solution for the dreaded seatpost slippage?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

BMC Owners . . . any solution for the dreaded seatpost slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 04:04 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Riding an 18-month old SLR02 and have had zero issues with any of this. I weigh 190.

Last edited by bpcyclist; 12-31-19 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 05:36 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by damoryan
I have the same issue now on a recently purchased 2019 Teammachine SLR 01. Did you get any definitive solution ultimately?
This is an old, formerly dead thread. Somewhere, there's a newer thread that discusses the whole process. In a nutshell:
  • My 2018 BMC SLR01 Disc had the seatpost clamp slippage problem.
  • Eventually, the 2018 frame failed in the seatpost bolt area -- the clamp pulled through the carbon. BMC replaced the 2018 frame, under warranty, with a 2019 frameset.
  • Then, my 2019 BMC SLR01 Disc ALSO had the seatpost clamp slippage problem.
  • I and my LBS worked together with BMC to figure out a way to make the seatpost clamp function properly on the 2019. Part of the solution includes monthly checks of the seatpost bolt with a torque wrench.
If your seatpost isn't slipping, I would recommend using a torque wrench and checking the torque of the seatpost bolt on a monthly basis. Part of the issue is that the bolt can tend to back out a bit during rides.

Is your new BMC subject to the fork recall? Some 2019 fork steerers are subject to snapping at inopportune moments. My 2019 SLR01 Disc is subject to the recall -- and it's been sitting in my LBS's storage, waiting for a fork, for six weeks.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 12-31-19, 05:44 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by damoryan
I have the same issue now on a recently purchased 2019 Teammachine SLR 01. Did you get any definitive solution ultimately?
I just noticed that I described the solution earlier in this thread. It is in post #22 .
Old 12-31-19, 06:00 AM
damoryan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
This is an old, formerly dead thread. Somewhere, there's a newer thread that discusses the whole process. In a nutshell:
  • My 2018 BMC SLR01 Disc had the seatpost clamp slippage problem.
  • Eventually, the 2018 frame failed in the seatpost bolt area -- the clamp pulled through the carbon. BMC replaced the 2018 frame, under warranty, with a 2019 frameset.
  • Then, my 2019 BMC SLR01 Disc ALSO had the seatpost clamp slippage problem.
  • I and my LBS worked together with BMC to figure out a way to make the seatpost clamp function properly on the 2019. Part of the solution includes monthly checks of the seatpost bolt with a torque wrench.
If your seatpost isn't slipping, I would recommend using a torque wrench and checking the torque of the seatpost bolt on a monthly basis. Part of the issue is that the bolt can tend to back out a bit during rides.

Is your new BMC subject to the fork recall? Some 2019 fork steerers are subject to snapping at inopportune moments. My 2019 SLR01 Disc is subject to the recall -- and it's been sitting in my LBS's storage, waiting for a fork, for six weeks.
mine was recalled but on inspection did not a new fork. Got them to check the seat post at the time too but it is still slipping
Old 03-22-20, 10:20 AM
Pilotdavo

Bikes: Too many, 7 I think.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Teammachine SLR 01 Disc has started dropping the post this week. I initially thought it was the bolt loosing torque so I placed a witness mark and it appears the bolt is staying in the same place so hopefully the wedge not engaging as described above is the issue.

I cannot believe this piece of "innovation" has meant I need to smack my saddle about and recheck the torque monthly on a £6750 bike. It's already been back 3 times for a leaky brake calliper that was eventually replaced by Shimano after 2 months messing about.

Has anyone had any other success with this slippage issue? Is it worth trying BMC for advice? I just love my 2003 Litespeed with it's simple design, I can fix most things with allen keys!
Old 03-23-20, 02:02 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I know of no solution other than the "try to rip the saddle off your bike" method I described above. I must say . . . since we did that, the post has remained in place and the bolt hasn't lost any torque. I still check it the first week of every month.

But if I were to change my saddle height? I would go back and do the "rip off the saddle" thing, all over again. It's not elegant, but it works.
Old 03-26-20, 02:17 AM
Pilotdavo

Bikes: Too many, 7 I think.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a go and was wary of causing damage to the frame or post! I suppose I need to give it some proper welly. I hate the thought of smacking this bike about.

I also tried to seat the wedge from above by tapping down with a rubber mallet (black plastic cover removed) but it still slipped.

I've been out for a few test rides but when I stop and check the bolt the torque has reduced. I'll try your yank method and keep checking the torque until it seats. I might try 5.5nm (I will try the torque wrench at work as it's for aviation use so more accurate than mine).

Thanks for replying. Appreciate the advice.
Old 05-17-21, 01:11 PM
pisuicas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
in despair anything is hope
check this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4500957
Old 05-17-21, 01:25 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I had to replace my seat post with one that had zero setback. The new post has a very aggressive rubberized texture on the front side. It does not slip at all.
Old 05-17-21, 01:53 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
My solution was to return the bike: I bought an ALR 2 and the sestpost simply would not stay up. The hidden clamp design is garbage, tbh. Ive heard it works better when the frame is also carbon, but the aluminum/carbon combo should still work (I had a alu Trek years ago with a carbon sp and that was rock solid).

I got my money back and walked 75m up the road and bought a Specialized Tarmac SL6, with a standard post collar. A liberal application of carbon paste and it hasn't budged. With the BMC, I could have used a whole tube of paste and it wouldn't have worked.

I'm 67kg, so far from a heavyweight.
Old 05-12-22, 12:07 PM
aseni01

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently I am an owner a 2021 BMC Teammachine ALR Disc and a 2021 BMC Roadmachine 04 Disc. The Roadmachine has no issues with the seatpost, however, I've been dealing with this seatpost slippage debacle on my Teammachine for quite some time. My LBS replaced the seatpost wedge, used carbon paste, and we've tightened the bolt above spec. The seatpost continues to slip down quite significantly. As you can imagine it is quite annoying. I am 195lbs, but like I said, no issues with the Roadmachine. It might be a defected seatpost? We are not sure. My LBS put in a warranty claim, I'm not sure how long the process takes, but I really hope this gets resolved because I do love the Teammachine.