Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

70’s era Peugeot PX60 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-20, 10:26 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
70’s era Peugeot PX60 ?

I found this beautiful Peugeot PX60

for sale in my area for $875.00. I cannot find much info at all concerning this 60 series model. Any info out there ?
Old 10-03-20, 06:26 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
If it were in my area, I would already be here, telling my fellow forum members how lucky I got. That is a pretty nice old road bicycle, pretty darn nice. I have owned and restored two PX10s (top of the line racers) and would love to get a bike like a PX60 (top of the line touring bike). However...

If the chrome is damaged (rust pitted), then the price is way too high. If the component group is not original, then the price is too high. Any frame damage, other than cosmetic issues, would suggest that the price is too high. But the bike does look to be a Garage Queen, that has been looked after incredibly well or recently experienced some form of restoration.
Old 10-03-20, 07:11 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I found this beautiful Peugeot PX60

for sale in my area for $875.00. I cannot find much info at all concerning this 60 series model. Any info out there ?
I just googled Peugeot PX-60 and found tons of info on it including several threads here on this forum. Beautiful bike.
Old 10-03-20, 08:04 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The bike is beautiful and overpriced. You can buy a PX 10 or a later PXN 10 for substantially less, slap a triple on it, and have a lot of dough left over for beer money. If you want a sports touring bike (which this is), there are plenty of Reynolds 531 frames out there for less money. Heck at this price go buy a top end British bike and you won't have to deal with the oddities of French bikes.

Btw, I'm a huge fan of French bikes in general and I really like Peugeots.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-03-20, 08:10 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
^^^^Agreed, very overpriced and you can find a tourer for much less...there are lots out there that will fit the bill.
Good Luck, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-03-20, 04:11 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

For those who see less value, ask yourselves, how many PX60s come up, especially in this condition? I sold two PX10s for over $1000.00 each. A PX60 is worth more, in my book. In closing, if anyone can show me a PX60 in great shape for less than the one the OP has shown, I would be more than interested in seeing it and what it is valued at.
Old 10-03-20, 11:12 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
If that's not a Technomic stem I would examine the steerer before making an offer.
Old 10-03-20, 11:24 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

A few more pics

Old 10-04-20, 11:27 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Damn, I look for these in my size pretty regularly and have yet to find more than one or two (which weren't in my size).

bikemig I see your point, but I don't believe the geometry on the PX60 and PX10 are very similar. Maybe on the 72 PX10 which was more relaxed?

The price is at the very high end of what I would pay for this bike, but I'd probably do it if they couldn't be talked down, which I'm sure they can be. I feel like $600 or so is more reasonable. I'd prefer the silver one, but love this color as well.

Last edited by polymorphself; 10-04-20 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-05-20, 04:39 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Damn, I look for these in my size pretty regularly and have yet to find more than one or two (which weren't in my size).

bikemig I see your point, but I don't believe the geometry on the PX60 and PX10 are very similar. Maybe on the 72 PX10 which was more relaxed?

The price is at the very high end of what I would pay for this bike, but I'd probably do it if they couldn't be talked down, which I'm sure they can be. I feel like $600 or so is more reasonable. I'd prefer the silver one, but love this color as well.
Tire volume matters and I'll bet this bike with the Mafac competition brakes can't take a much fatter tire than one of the PX series bikes. This is a rich price for a sports touring bike. French bikes typically are less expensive than high end British or Italian bikes with a few exceptions (like a PY Peugeot).

I really like Peugeots and French bikes in general. I have a Mercier 300, a Peugeot PXN 10, and a Motobecane Grand Record.

I agree with you that this should go near the top of its valuation range given the condition and it is a rare bike so maybe $600 is an OK price. That is high for a Reynolds 531 French bike. If a buyer wants to pay more than $600, that's fine if you love it but I'd rather have a high end British bike at that price.

Last edited by bikemig; 10-05-20 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-05-20, 08:06 AM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I just googled Peugeot PX-60 and found tons of info on it including several threads here on this forum. Beautiful bike.
I switched my search engine from Yahoo to Google and then started finding info as well, thanks !
Old 10-05-20, 08:21 AM
Tomm Willians

Thank you to all who chimed in with opinions concerning this bike. I traveled two hours away to where it was located and bought it for a price I can happily live with. I have a Soma Pescadero for “serious” touring so I never had intentions of using this Peugeot in the same manner. I simply love vintage bikes and this one will be ridden just like all my others (14?)
It rides and shifts as smoothly as I could ask for and the condition of the paint upon close inspection was quite similar to what was shown in the photos.
The seller informed me that he bought it from a friend who’s father was the original owner. This gentleman was a Frenchman who purchased the bike in France prior to moving to the US.
This man apparently was also a machinist by trade and did the “Swiss cheesing” to the chain ring gears in his shop.
The only change I’m going to make to it is to swap the Brooks for a nice condition Perjohn I have laying around. I have another vintage bike that would look great with that Brooks.
This Peugeot should look right at home next to my Follis !

Cheers !

Tomm
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 10-05-20, 09:54 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Thank you to all who chimed in with opinions concerning this bike. I traveled two hours away to where it was located and bought it for a price I can happily live with. I have a Soma Pescadero for “serious” touring so I never had intentions of using this Peugeot in the same manner. I simply love vintage bikes and this one will be ridden just like all my others (14?)
It rides and shifts as smoothly as I could ask for and the condition of the paint upon close inspection was quite similar to what was shown in the photos.
The seller informed me that he bought it from a friend who’s father was the original owner. This gentleman was a Frenchman who purchased the bike in France prior to moving to the US.
This man apparently was also a machinist by trade and did the “Swiss cheesing” to the chain ring gears in his shop.
The only change I’m going to make to it is to swap the Brooks for a nice condition Perjohn I have laying around. I have another vintage bike that would look great with that Brooks.
This Peugeot should look right at home next to my Follis !

Cheers !

Tomm
Glad it worked out for you! It truly is a beautiful bike. I hope you post some photos after you get it cleaned and tuned up. I especially like the gold-tone components. I noticed on some Peugeot catalog photos that they had gold-tone downtube shifters and even a RD in gold.
Very pretty and it plays well against the color of the frame.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 10-05-20, 09:59 AM
TugaDude

BTW, I suggest if you are going to add fenders that you go with black ones. I saw a thread where the owner put white fenders on the bike and it just didn't "work" in my opinion. Black ones would look really nice, IMO.
Old 10-05-20, 10:26 AM
Tomm Willians

Here’s a few pics after a bit of detailing. Not much difference really as the seller kept it in fine shape.

Nice touch with the labeling in French

Sitting with my ‘71 Mondia Special
Old 10-05-20, 10:46 AM
polymorphself 

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Awesome, are you going to do a total tear down?
Old 10-05-20, 11:00 AM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Awesome, are you going to do a total tear down?
No, no...... the previous owner just completed that task and did a fine job. I just did a little cleaning up.
Old 10-06-20, 11:26 AM
Shionage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomm:

At the end of the day a good deal is one you are happy with, regardless of the price.
Old 10-06-20, 12:28 PM
randyjawa 

At the end of the day a good deal is one you are happy with, regardless of the price.
I could not have said it better.
Old 10-07-20, 02:29 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
as others have said that stem is too high. also the Allvit derailleur doesn,t match the quality of the rest of bike.
I would put on a Super LJ or a long arm Jubile
Old 10-07-20, 02:36 PM
Tomm Willians

I’ve had repeated back and neck injuries so riding with a “proper” stem height is not an option for me.
Old 10-07-20, 03:06 PM
randyjawa 

I’ve had repeated back and neck injuries so riding with a “proper” stem height is not an option for me.
I understand but, at the very least, get a longer stem. I am not talking about the reach. I speak of the part that goes into the fork steering tube.

A stem, mounted too high (insufficient insertion) can and, sooner or later, will damage the steering tube of the fork. The steering tube will stretch, making it hard to remove/install head set nuts. I have also run across several split steering stems.

I share this information, based on experience, training and, of course, opinion, as a safety warning.
Old 03-23-22, 07:29 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
This showed up locally. I think the price is crazy but maybe others won't.....

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/67073659

Old 03-23-22, 01:26 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Kind of a shame the gold SLJ that likely came as RD and FD are gone. Pic of an example that has gold SLJ . One odd thing about the PX-60 in my photo. The RD is not the model that would be used for touring. There is of course a long cage version, but there is also a version where the cage pivot is mounted at the upper jockey wheel as opposed to the center of the cage as in this pic.

P4200700 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 03-23-22, 04:22 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
If that's not a Technomic stem I would examine the steerer before making an offer.
The long stem is not original it's a later replacement late 70's early 80's upgrade the Peugeot branded stems with the indent's did not come out till several years after this bike was made not sure who made these but there nice with pretty long stem stearer so I wouldn't worry about it but would lower it a bit.

Last edited by zukahn1; 03-23-22 at 04:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.