Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

arc/stick welding bike frames

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-21, 05:07 AM
yeyix14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi all, I'm new to both frame building and welding and am wondering if arc welds are strong enough to weld up a bike frame. the main reason is the price and lack of gas as I would like a relatively compact setup. would this work okay?

thanks
Old 11-04-21, 05:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Stick is going to be a struggle. People have used MIG, particularly on the heavier sections of recumbent frames. Most welded frames are built using TIG, but that requires shielding gas.
Old 11-04-21, 08:35 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by yeyix14
hi all, I'm new to both frame building and welding and am wondering if arc welds are strong enough to weld up a bike frame. the main reason is the price and lack of gas as I would like a relatively compact setup. would this work okay?

thanks
It is possible with 3/32” 6013 on straight polarity. (Edit: maybe possible)

I have a bit of time under the hood stick welding. I had an LA city light gauge certification.

I would not recommend stick welding a bike frame. Welding is more difficult with thinner material. So beginner and thin tubing don’t go together. Stick welding gets difficult below 1/8” material thickness.

My prediction is you’re going to blow holes through the tubing.

So yes. The actual weld bead is probably strong enough. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.
Old 11-04-21, 10:54 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I would say practicality impossible if you use nice bike tubing (which is <1mm thick). It could just about be done with a lot of skill if you used 1.6mm mild steel tube and didn't mind slightly ugly and sketchy results.

It's not that stick welds are weak. The problem is controlling the heat on such thin material. You need to be very precise and careful or you blow holes. It takes quite a bit of practice to get this right even with the TIG.

If you already have a stick welder if it's DC you can actually use it for TIG with a torch and a few accessories. But you will need a bottle of Argon.
Likes For guy153:
Old 11-04-21, 12:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I agree, stick is possible. I have seen the results when people do it. Sometimes it looks okay, but looks can be deceiving. I would say you have to be a really good welder and use thick tubes.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-04-21, 01:19 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
I would say practicality impossible if you use nice bike tubing (which is <1mm thick). It could just about be done with a lot of skill if you used 1.6mm mild steel tube and didn't mind slightly ugly and sketchy results.

It's not that stick welds are weak. The problem is controlling the heat on such thin material. You need to be very precise and careful or you blow holes. It takes quite a bit of practice to get this right even with the TIG.

If you already have a stick welder if it's DC you can actually use it for TIG with a torch and a few accessories. But you will need a bottle of Argon.
Great post above. I believe most bike frames that are hand welded are either tig’d or soldered. Soldered joints provide a large heat affected zone at a lower temperature than Tig and allows more of a gradual change in the temper and mechanical properties of the tubing. The welder needs to be experienced in either process. Be sure to buy extra material and practice these welds until you are proficient. You will also need jigs to hold your joints and frame in position while welding. The practice joints are great learning tools as you can cut them apart to see where your filler metal went and how strong your joints are. Hope this works out for you.
Old 11-04-21, 02:01 PM
guy153

Originally Posted by N2deep
Great post above. I believe most bike frames that are hand welded are either tig’d or soldered. Soldered joints provide a large heat affected zone at a lower temperature than Tig and allows more of a gradual change in the temper and mechanical properties of the tubing. The welder needs to be experienced in either process.
Brazed rather than soldered (which I think just means a higher temperature). Frames that aren't welded are either brazed into lugs or "fillet" brazed (you join the tubes directly as with welding but with a relatively large fillet made out of brass or bronze-- something yellow anyway). Both of those processes are done with a gas torch. All require practice and experience.
Likes For guy153:
Old 11-04-21, 02:08 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Stick welding would work great for a frame built out of steel rebar material!
https://pin.it/4ZS1Rmv
Likes For GrayJay:
Old 11-04-21, 02:22 PM
guy153

This YouTube guy makes e-bikes and things out of probably 1.6mm wall tubes with a stick welder. I think he's in Indonesia. He's extremely talented with very basic tools.
https://youtube.com/channel/UChv9gGHf2QaWdHJKtVet-9Q
Old 11-04-21, 11:55 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
Brazed rather than soldered (which I think just means a higher temperature). Frames that aren't welded are either brazed into lugs or "fillet" brazed (you join the tubes directly as with welding but with a relatively large fillet made out of brass or bronze-- something yellow anyway). Both of those processes are done with a gas torch. All require practice and experience.
Correct, thank you!
Old 11-05-21, 12:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
A unique Dutch bike shop.

At about 5:50, he is stick welding on a bike (without any eye protection).

Not the prettiest of welds.

Old 11-05-21, 03:35 AM
guy153

Originally Posted by CliffordK
A unique Dutch bike shop.
At about 5:50, he is stick welding on a bike (without any eye protection).
Not the prettiest of welds.
That's actually flux core not stick Like MIG only without a gas bottle-- there's flux down the middle of the wire. Cheap and cheerful and works quite well on anything between 2mm and 3/32" thick. I think he's shutting his eyes and then buzzing tacks on. Not recommended for framebuilding, although it looks like he's just attaching a washer for a kickstand or something? And that Dutch boneshaker probably is about 2mm thick.
Likes For guy153: