Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Shimano hydraulic brake pad retention pin loss and repair on ride today.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-21, 08:23 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts

Didn't think this would actually happen, but had wondered about it over the decades of riding.

During a steep descent my wife's rear brake stopped working properly. Being an excellent rider she immediately brought the ride to a controlled stop using the front brake.

When I examined the bike I immediately saw the problem. Luckily the pads were still in the caliper, but had almost slipped completely out the top.

Fortunately, using Schrade multi-tool pliers and wire from a key ring, I was able to fashion another retaining pin.
Old 12-20-21, 09:17 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
It’s pretty surprising that it came out. I also carry multi-pliers, maybe I should add a cotter pin to the kit. I can probably afford the weight.

Sram uses a threaded pin (on gravel groups anyway) but losing it might not be so easy to improvise.

Had the brakes been worked on recently? Seems like something forgotten rather than just a thing that can happen.
Old 12-21-21, 03:18 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Looks like someone didn't tighten the retainer pin and also didn't put the safety clip on it when done.