Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2011 LHT Handlebar Upgrade - Crazy Bars or Truck Stop Bars?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2011 LHT Handlebar Upgrade - Crazy Bars or Truck Stop Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-22, 04:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,660 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwies
Basic assembly and my first really short test ride is complete.
I still need to take it on a real test ride and make sure I have everything adjusted properly. I still need to cut down the new brake cables and install the crimp ends. Once that is done, I can add the final touches like bar tape and end caps.
My quick test ride have me thinking about switching to trigger shifters, but I am going to give the bar ends a try for a while and see how I like them on the end of the horns. Overall I like the change so but, but it will be an adjustment to get used to the extra handlebar width. The new bars are over 300mm wider than my old bars and even getting it in and out of my narrow basement door was an adjustment.
I would say go for thumbies because I like thumbies but I know at least with the Denham bar they say no you can't and I get it (though upside down could work, a friend of mine did that and it was an awkward ride for me I could see getting it to work). The trigger I think would be the ideal if thumbies wouldn't work. Wide bars do suck for inside the home, my Denhams fit but it can be tough sometimes as I have a cabinet that is close enough to the wall in the hall that it sometimes makes it tougher.

I can't wait to see everything finished and here your thoughts over some longer rides. The more I look at those bars the more I think I am liking them. I mean they are quite close to what I have in the Denhams but I think the rise is kinda cool and maybe it is the improvement over the improvement (OG VO Crazy and the Denhams).
Old 02-08-22, 06:53 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
I still need to take it on a real test ride and make sure I have everything adjusted properly. I still need to cut down the new brake cables and install the crimp ends. Once that is done, I can add the final touches like bar tape and end caps.
My quick test ride have me thinking about switching to trigger shifters, but I am going to give the bar ends a try for a while and see how I like them on the end of the horns. Overall I like the change so but, but it will be an adjustment to get used to the extra handlebar width. The new bars are over 300mm wider than my old bars and even getting it in and out of my narrow basement door was an adjustment.
the width thing is a change, but I found I like my Jones bars width now. The obvious advantages is when going slower over rougher surfaces, but mozzying along is nice too. Mine are standard Jones width, 710 or 720mm?
I just mention this because you'd want to think thrice before considering cutting them shorter.

re shifters. To me trigger shifters are a no brainer. Fast easy shifting with never moving your hands off grips.
Good quality ones like deore are proven super reliable and have an easy, light action.
Up to you to what you prefer.
Old 02-08-22, 11:15 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
The bar end shifters seem inconvenient there
You can cut the bars to make them narrower, just remember it cannot be uncut, so maybe cut a little at a time
Let us know how it works out
Old 02-12-22, 04:37 PM
bigwies
Mega Clyde

Bikes: 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Latest update.
We got a break in the weather and I have been able to get in three rides over the last four days. Overall, I really like the new set up. I am now in a much more upright position and have much better sight lines than before. I also have access to at least four hand positions while riding.

The steering is much lighter and more responsive vs my old drop bars. I have to remember to not oversteer, but it isn't a hard adjustment. I also have a hybrid and it's steering is similar to the Crazy Bars so I think that experience really helped my transition.

Shifting has been an easy adjustment for me. I was used to moving my hands to the bar end shifters, so reaching the shifters at the ends of the horns this isn't really a big change for me. I also am able to see the position of the shift levers on the horns, so it is probably a net plus in my opinion.

The new Sora brake levers have been great and give me an easy upgrade path to V brakes down the road. My levers are convertible from short pull to long pull, which is a feature I didn't see on many other levers. I can definitely recommend them. Stopping power is as good or better than with my original drop bar brake levers.

The best part of the whole project is probably the Ergon GP1 grips. They are super comfortable and provide great grip with or without gloves. Using them is now my primary hand position. I expected to move my hands around more, but so far the Ergons are getting probably used about 80% of the time. This may change once I get everything totally dialed in and I finally wrap the Crazy Bars. I have reused some old tape for the horn temporarily before I do the final wrap with Velo Diamond Handlebar tape (https://velo-orange.com/collections/...handlebar-tape).

I will post another update once I get about 500 miles on this setup. That should be enough to know if I need to make any big changes.

Last edited by bigwies; 02-12-22 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-12-22, 08:13 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Glad you're happy with the setup. Living with it over time will certainly confirm this and little changes perhaps.
if you end up enjoying riding more, that's all that matters. More exercise is a great thing in life.
Old 02-13-22, 07:58 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
That's just crazy how wide they make those. Useless in traffic or on sidewalks. I would probably cut off 3 cm from both sides at least.
In 2002 I bought a bungie fork hybrid that wasn't that wide and I told them to cut it down before I went anywhere.
My widest swept bars now are 55.5 cm outside.
And anyway, I CAN add on the ends after. 2 of my 3 of my bars have DIY quill-like extensions made of 7/8" alu rod. It needs a tap and die set and a couple days tho without a lathe, LOL. One bar has 1.75" addons.
I just redid one set 5/16" longer than it was, now an inch.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-17-22 at 09:37 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53: