Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Carbon Road frames really worth the extra cost?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Carbon Road frames really worth the extra cost?

Old 02-09-22, 01:36 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
The more expensive bikes use carbon frames and you are paying in large part for the groupset and wheels and tires on the bike. Prices for a top of the line Trek CF road bike are now 5 times what it was in 2000.
A 2001 Trek 5900 sold for $4,700. Trek's present top-of-the-line road bikes sell for $12,500, which is not even close to 5 times as much ($23,500).
Old 02-09-22, 02:32 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I actually find Canyon more attractive as a "brand" than Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant etc. If they are good enough for MVdP then they are good enough for me!
I'm seriously eyeing a Grail right now as I feel like I "need" a backup bike and what you get for the price from Canyon is really hard to ignore. The pressfit bb is the only thing I consider a negative but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
Old 02-09-22, 03:28 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
It's wicked easier to carry a carbon fiber frame bike up flights of stairs than a steel frame bike up flights of stairs.

Being able to "CX" my bike to the hospital? Priceless.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-09-22 at 03:31 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-09-22, 04:50 PM
guijs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It definitely worth it if you're not on budget.
Old 02-09-22, 05:03 PM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Someone upthread said " You may want something else (probably more expensive) sooner than you could imagine."

Very true.

I've been doing this for several decades you will probably, like me, end up with bikes in aluminium, steel, titanium and carbon. They are all fantastic bikes, I love them all.

Whatever you ride, enjoy it and well done on your life choices!
Likes For Groasters:
Old 02-10-22, 04:36 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
This is really a digression from the actual topic. This is not an original thought, but it's always interesting when we - and more so non-cyclists - think of the cost of a high-ish end bike. Let's say $5,000. That's not top of the line by any means, but it's a of money for any cyclist, and a really good bike can be had for much less. It's an unimaginable amount to a non-cyclist.

OK the stage is set. A lot of money. But compare it to just one thing that many lower-middle class working Americans have. Examples are high end TVs, motorcycles, ATVs, BOATS!, etc. Show me a even a basic ATV or fishing rig that can be had for $5k. Yea, they exist, especially used. But that "normal" American would think that's perfectly normal, not a ridiculous expense for something they use a couple of dozen times per year. But the same income-level cyclist, who uses the bike several times per week is spending ridiculous money. That's the way many if not most people I know would think of it. Even some avid cyclists Not me of course.

Circling back - chances are that $5K will get you a CF or even titanium bike (My Lynskey GR300 with Force AXS ETap and nice Boyd aluminum wheels, for example). OK, it would also get you a pretty nice steel bike too. But in terms of liveliness, light weight, etc, a CF bike in that price range, to an enthusiast would be totally worth it

Last edited by Camilo; 02-10-22 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-10-22, 06:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
This is really a digression from the actual topic. This is not an original thought, but it's always interesting when we - and more so non-cyclists - think of the cost of a high-ish end bike. Let's say $5,000. That's not top of the line by any means, but it's a of money for any cyclist, and a really good bike can be had for much less. It's an unimaginable amount to a non-cyclist.

OK the stage is set. A lot of money. But compare it to just one thing that many lower-middle class working Americans have. Examples are high end TVs, motorcycles, ATVs, BOATS!, etc. Show me a even a basic ATV or fishing rig that can be had for $5k. Yea, they exist, especially used. But that "normal" American would think that's perfectly normal, not a ridiculous expense for something they use a couple of dozen times per year. But the same income-level cyclist, who uses the bike several times per week is spending ridiculous money. That's the way many if not most people I know would think of it. Even some avid cyclists Not me of course.

Circling back - chances are that $5K will get you a CF or even titanium bike (My Lynskey GR300 with Force AXS ETap and nice Boyd aluminum wheels, for example). OK, it would also get you a pretty nice steel bike too. But in terms of liveliness, light weight, etc, a CF bike in that price range, to an enthusiast would be totally worth it

I don't get your point here, different activities have equipment with different cost scales. Someone could be quite fanatical about tennis, but good luck finding a $5000 tennis racket. I don't know why we'd be comparing the costs of an ATV to determine whether buying a bike at any price is sensible.

As for your last sentence, there's lots of enthusiasts who have no interest in paying that much for a bike, carbon or otherwise. Bike enthusiasts have varied interests.
Old 02-10-22, 07:03 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't get your point here, different activities have equipment with different cost scales. Someone could be quite fanatical about tennis, but good luck finding a $5000 tennis racket. I don't know why we'd be comparing the costs of an ATV to determine whether buying a bike at any price is sensible.

As for your last sentence, there's lots of enthusiasts who have no interest in paying that much for a bike, carbon or otherwise. Bike enthusiasts have varied interests.
I guess my point simply is this: I've encountered many people who think spending even $2,000, let alone $5k or more, on a bike that is enjoyed a lot and is used a lot is absurd, but don't hesitate to spend $10,000 or more on an ATV, snowmobile, boat, etc. that they use much less. Your point about "different cost scales" is certainly true, but relevant. Money spent on a hobby is money spent on a hobby and $2,000 is a lot less than $10,000, especially if the two purchasers' standard of living or income is similar.

I don't disagree with your last statement. But I never claimed that all enthusiasts would spend that much on a bike. But those who do think it's worth it or they wouldn't do it. And, if carbonfiber in itself causes part of the price uptick, they think that's worth it. imho.
Old 02-11-22, 04:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I guess my point simply is this: I've encountered many people who think spending even $2,000, let alone $5k or more, on a bike that is enjoyed a lot and is used a lot is absurd, but don't hesitate to spend $10,000 or more on an ATV, snowmobile, boat, etc. that they use much less. Your point about "different cost scales" is certainly true, but relevant. Money spent on a hobby is money spent on a hobby and $2,000 is a lot less than $10,000, especially if the two purchasers' standard of living or income is similar.

I don't disagree with your last statement. But I never claimed that all enthusiasts would spend that much on a bike. But those who do think it's worth it or they wouldn't do it. And, if carbonfiber in itself causes part of the price uptick, they think that's worth it. imho.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying I want to spend less than $2000 on a bike because I can get something I'll enjoy riding for a lot less while thinking some much higher number is what I need to spend for an ATV worth riding. Regardless of how much you play tennis, paying $2000 for a tennis racket is ridiculous regardless of how much you spent on an ATV. If they're going to be happy riding a $1200 bike, then for them, spending $2000 could seem ridiculous and it would have nothing to do with what they thought was reasonable to spend on an ATV they use less.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-11-22, 04:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Has anyone here ever bought a carbon frame and NOT thought it was worth the extra cost? I think nearly everyone makes that decision before they buy. It's either a decision based on budget, intended use case, or a combination of the two. Some people are also ambivalent toward carbon as a frame material.

Non-cyclists tend to raise an eyebrow at the cost of any mid-level and up bicycle. But a non-cyclist's opinion on value for money is totally worthless.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-11-22, 05:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Has anyone here ever bought a carbon frame and NOT thought it was worth the extra cost? I think nearly everyone makes that decision before they buy. It's either a decision based on budget, intended use case, or a combination of the two. Some people are also ambivalent toward carbon as a frame material.

Non-cyclists tend to raise an eyebrow at the cost of any mid-level and up bicycle. But a non-cyclist's opinion on value for money is totally worthless.

Right. Carbon is worth the price if you really want and can afford carbon. "But you spent $10k on an ATV" is something a person says if you're trying to justify your preferences to someone else. Unless you're sharing finances with them, why bother?
Old 02-11-22, 07:11 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
The upper end of alloy and mid range of steel has a lot of overlap in price tag has a lot of overlap with the cheaper end of carbon fiber, though. Looking at naked frames, the last steel frame I bought the frameset was 1360 Eur, which I thought was pretty fair for a good steel frame from a reputable manufacturer with geometry and looks I like. There's a Trek Emonda ALR frameset on sale for 1200 Eur on the same site. I can absolutely get a CF frame for 1600 Eur, so the leap from a mid range steel or higher end of alloy frames to the more budget friendly end of CF frames is about 400 Euro or so.

Complete bikes relate pretty similarly to each other, a Canyon CF SL7 Disc costs me 2299 Eur, complete with a 11-speed 105 groupset with disc brakes, a set of DT swiss wheels which look decent enough, Canyon finishing kit and a saddle which looks passably useful. A complete Trek Domane ALR with 105 (there are cheaper variants, of course, with Tiagra and finally Sora) costs 1925 Eur at the local shop which hosts Trek (interestingly the same shop has a CF Trek with 105 for less than that, 2020 model in size 56). I could get a Canyon Endurace AL with 105 for also 1799 Eur. All bikes with 105 and disc brakes. So there's not a big leap - looking at Canyon's lineup and examining what is more or less like for like - the premium for (entry level) CF is 500 Eur. Sure, CF prices sometimes do go sky high if you want the high end of it.

If I was buying a CF bike starting from the frame either I'd go with a Chinese made Winspace for 1600 Eur (in the EU) or a EU made Time Scylon for 3350 but I'd get a bike actually made in the EU and with a technology which makes the typical flaws of CF manufacture unlikely to happen.
Old 02-11-22, 08:54 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts

I get the point you're making and it makes sense. Some folks can, but just refuse to see the forest through the trees.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 02-11-22, 09:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Outrider1
I get the point you're making and it makes sense. Some folks can, but just refuse to see the forest through the trees.

Here's the forest and it's a real news flash (not): some people have a different view of value for the money than we do.

If you want to spend $5000 on a bike, fine. More than likely you're going to enjoy it. Why would you spend 2 seconds thinking about the reaction of someone who spends $10,000 on an ATV?
Old 02-11-22, 09:43 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Circling back - chances are that $5K will get you a CF or even titanium bike
$3300 will get you a nice carbon bike.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black
Likes For prj71: