Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Cinelli Model B Valuation

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 03:47 PM
negaultra7

Bikes: Cinelli Model B, Mercian Olympic, GT Avalanche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cinelli Model B Valuation

Hi there ive just inherited the below Cinelli Model B from a family member who sadly passed away last year, all I know about the bike is he went and bought the bike from Italy, any ideas on value/ age would be great

Neil.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1040352.jpg (94.5 KB, 252 views)
P1040351.jpg (89.9 KB, 253 views)
P1040349.jpg (93.6 KB, 246 views)
P1040348.jpg (92.0 KB, 263 views)
P1040347.jpg (92.0 KB, 256 views)
P1040346.jpg (91.0 KB, 249 views)
P1040345.jpg (91.4 KB, 254 views)
P1040344.jpg (88.8 KB, 254 views)
P1040343.jpg (93.7 KB, 237 views)
P1040342.jpg (92.0 KB, 243 views)
P1040341.jpg (92.2 KB, 236 views)
P1040339.jpg (93.3 KB, 229 views)
Old 11-22-13, 04:12 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Do you have the wheels?
Old 11-22-13, 04:43 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
There should be a patent date on the rear deraileur that may give you a clue. There may also be a date code on the back of the crank arms. If you were to get the bike cleaned up, replace all cables and serviced, with period correct wheels I would guess the value around $2500+.
Old 11-22-13, 09:47 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Cinelli serial numbers are haphazard at best. On the Cinelliregistry.org the closest numbers on either side of yours are years apart! The bicycle was modified for the owner, Mafac calipers and Universal levers... Form the Campagnolo components if they are original I think you are 1969-70 to 1972. There are a few subtle indicators to also suggest this. This Model B had Campagnolo dropouts, often of more interest than Simplex.
The frame is in the middle size range, near 55 to 56 cm, back then they measured center of the cranks to the top of the seat tube lug.
It has seen some ham-fisted service as indicated by the marks on the headset lock nut.
The condition of the chrome means much on these, her it appears quite cloudy and spots of rust...
Lacking wheels is a problem, Fiamme rims are getting dear, the Campagnolo hubs would have had a date code on the inside of the lock nuts which would verify the age hopefully.

Great bike, great color, marginal shape but not irrecoverable. $2,000, maybe more not $3,000.

I paid about that for a very nice 1971 Supercorsa not too long ago.
Old 11-23-13, 08:29 AM
negaultra7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow I do have 2 sets of campagnolo wheels, one set are large flange and the other are campagnolo tipo I think, they are both tubless,
When the bike is restored where would be the best place to advertise the bike?
Regards
Neil
Old 11-23-13, 10:44 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Do you have the fenders for the bike?

It depends where you are located but Craigslist could be a good place to sell the bike if you are in a city with a lot of cycling enthusiasts. If not, ebay will get you the most eyes.

If you go the ebay route, provide world wide shipping and find a bike shop local to you that will disassemble the bike and pack it. You can then say in your auction that the bike will be professionally packed and shipped, which will take a lot of pressure off of you and make the buyer more confident in their purchase.

The bike is in great shape for it's age and it is of a size that will fit a very large segment of the population so that is also good for the sale. Two wheelsets is also very good for you, provided they are both in good condition.

When you say restore, what do you mean? I would suggest that you do as little as possible to restore it. With a bike like this, a collector will recognise the imperfections for what they are, as repechage has already demonstrated, so if you add touch up paint to the frame, you will be providing any potential buyer with a mystery. Right now, there is very little about the bike that is unknown, which is a very good thing.

Take some clear and focused shots of the bike outdoors with both wheelsets, preferably on an overcast day.

Here in Toronto, this bike with both wheelsets would sell for $2500 in an afternoon.
Old 11-23-13, 01:41 PM
negaultra7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definatley no touch up paint going anywhere near this Chinelli, the plan is to strip the bike down degrease/regrease wash polish and build up again

Neil
Old 11-23-13, 02:18 PM
Kactus

Originally Posted by negaultra7
Definatley no touch up paint going anywhere near this Chinelli, the plan is to strip the bike down degrease/regrease wash polish and build up again

Neil
Old 11-24-13, 07:15 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I wouldn't take that bike to the local bike shop to have the work done, unless you trust them implicitly. You never know how they would treat it.
If you must, see if you can find an older guy who knows about high end vintage bikes and how to properly treat them. Personally, I would never let the average bike shop wrench touch that bike. FWIW.
Old 11-24-13, 08:23 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
The wolf ears on the head lugs lead me to believe the frame is significantly older than the components.

Frame - 1956-1960, components - late 60s, early 70s.

I'd part it out. Normally I would say $1500-$2000 for the frame alone. But you are missing the Cinelli-branded headset. That knocks it down to $1000-$1500. And I don't think the fork is original so that would probably knock it down to $700-$1200. Still a nice chunk of change and a neat project for the buyer.
Old 11-24-13, 09:08 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
The wolf ears on the head lugs lead me to believe the frame is significantly older than the components.

I'd part it out. Normally I would say $1500-$2000 for the frame alone. But you are missing the Cinelli-branded headset. That knocks it down to $1000-$1500. And I don't think the fork is original so that would probably knock it down to $700-$1200. Still a nice chunk of change and a neat project for the buyer.
I was thinking that perhaps the the bulk of the components had been exchanged, but in regard to the headset as this one had Campagnolo ends, I guess I would hold off judgement until I inspected the text stampings to give a year range of mfg. I will let the fork pass, I have seen a few with this crown, but it is uncommon. Also, the details of the drive side rear dropout forging and presence of the spring hole above the derailleur mounting hole would help a might to divine the frame's age.
Old 11-24-13, 09:12 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by rootboy
I wouldn't take that bike to the local bike shop to have the work done, unless you trust them implicitly. You never know how they would treat it.
If you must, see if you can find an older guy who knows about high end vintage bikes and how to properly treat them. Personally, I would never let the average bike shop wrench touch that bike. FWIW.
The only guy I trust implicitly is the guy I see in the mirror every morning. And I know he owns a Campagnolo Tool kit.
If selling it off is the plan, don't clean it up and service it. Maybe clean up part of one lug to show how it will revive, but that is it.
Old 11-24-13, 03:28 PM
negaultra7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

I do have a Cinelli-branded headset which I removed from a Cinelli SC frame id also inherited, ill take some photos of it
Old 11-24-13, 03:56 PM
Kactus

I do have a Cinelli-branded headset which I removed from a Cinelli SC frame id also inherited, ill take some photos of it
What! You holding out on us? We want photos.
Old 11-24-13, 05:01 PM
iab

Originally Posted by repechage
I was thinking that perhaps the the bulk of the components had been exchanged, but in regard to the headset as this one had Campagnolo ends, I guess I would hold off judgement until I inspected the text stampings to give a year range of mfg. I will let the fork pass, I have seen a few with this crown, but it is uncommon. Also, the details of the drive side rear dropout forging and presence of the spring hole above the derailleur mounting hole would help a might to divine the frame's age.
I figured the headset was swapped out when they swapped out all of the other components.

As for the fork, couple things bother me. First, no paint. Never seen a B without paint. Could have been stripped at some point though. With wolf ear lugs, I would expect the fork crown to look like the first picture below. But that also isn't set in stone. I have seen the scallop cut fork crown like in the OP. But it is a more severe scallop as seen in the second picture below. While it could be original, there are too many flags for me to pay top dollar.

Old 11-24-13, 05:06 PM
iab

Well now it depends on what you want to do.

If you are keeping the SC for yourself, I'd keep the Cinelli headset for it. Those are too cool to give up.

If you are selling the SC, I would keep it on the SC as it is a more desirable bike than the B and you will get the most bang for the buck. But if the SC frame is in really bad condition and since your B frame is gorgeous, I would consider putting it on the B frame when selling.

If you are interested a Cinelli headset in good condition can fetch $600 as a stand alone.
Old 11-24-13, 06:20 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Wow, that's an amazing bike. I definitely wouldn't let anyone else work on it, and only work on it if you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing and have the proper tools (not trying to offend, just don't know your background.) It's way too nice to mess up. It's my size too!

Where are you located? That could give us some indication of the market. But in almost every case on a bike of this caliber, ebay with worldwide shipping will net the most.

Also, why not keep it?
Old 11-24-13, 09:49 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
I figured the headset was swapped out when they swapped out all of the other components.

As for the fork, couple things bother me. First, no paint. Never seen a B without paint. Could have been stripped at some point though. With wolf ear lugs, I would expect the fork crown to look like the first picture below. But that also isn't set in stone. I have seen the scallop cut fork crown like in the OP. But it is a more severe scallop as seen in the second picture below. While it could be original, there are too many flags for me to pay top dollar.

Perhaps everyone missed that the fork has no eyelets... on a Model B with eyelets on the rear dropouts... I must change my mind, replacement fork.
Old 11-25-13, 06:19 AM
negaultra7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Wow, that's an amazing bike. I definitely wouldn't let anyone else work on it, and only work on it if you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing and have the proper tools (not trying to offend, just don't know your background.) It's way too nice to mess up. It's my size too!

Where are you located? That could give us some indication of the market. But in almost every case on a bike of this caliber, ebay with worldwide shipping will net the most.

Also, why not keep it?
Hi im based in Leicestershire in the United Kingdom, the plan was to keep and restore the bike but unfortunatley i need the money :-((
Old 11-25-13, 03:44 PM
negaultra7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOT=iab;16274707]Well now it depends on what you want to do.

If you are keeping the SC for yourself, I'd keep the Cinelli headset for it. Those are too cool to give up.

If you are selling the SC, I would keep it on the SC as it is a more desirable bike than the B and you will get the most bang for the buck. But if the SC frame is in really bad condition and since your B frame is gorgeous, I would consider putting it on the B frame when selling.

If you are interested a Cinelli headset in good condition can fetch $600 as a stand alone.[/QUOTE]
Here is a link to the cinelli headset that is the same as the one I have ill take some pictures this week and post them

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...=111&AbsPos=22
Old 11-27-13, 12:39 PM
negaultra7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pictures of the Cinelli headset I have:

Old 12-02-13, 02:38 PM
negaultra7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The headset is now up for auction:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1411314492...84.m1586.l2649
Old 12-02-13, 04:05 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
You really need to work on that ad...

1. Its not 'like new'. If I can see surface in the pics...its simply used
2. It's for 1" forks
3. Fork race diameter is 26.4
Old 12-02-13, 04:28 PM
negaultra7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
You really need to work on that ad...

1. Its not 'like new'. If I can see surface in the pics...its simply used
2. It's for 1" forks
3. Fork race diameter is 26.4
The listing has been altered, thanks for the info

Neil
Old 12-02-13, 07:07 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
negaultra7. Refer to Forum Guidelines. The classified section is down the hall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.