Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2014 Weight Lifting!!!!

Old 10-16-17, 11:36 AM
warx

Bikes: Venge, Koichi San II, Crux Sngl Spd, EVO, Stumpy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next step: 8 reps of 800lb deadlifts :-)

https://barbend.com/jerry-pritchett-...strongest-man/
Old 10-27-17, 10:01 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Saw this article on FB: Prime Your Legs For Success With Jason Kenny?s Gold Medal Workout | Coach
Old 10-27-17, 12:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
Hah, this seems similarly un-useful as that other Kenny workout article, in regards to anything related to real track training.

"Do squats, single-leg press, and other assistance exercises". How informative!!!
Yeah, but I think the best parts of the article are quotes like this:

“Once it gets to 160, I’m pretty much having to go flat out to lift it,“ says Kenny. “I could do 170, 180, 190, but you get to a point where it’s risk versus reward. I can lift 160 quite safely and I always try to leave a bit in reserve, to make sure I’m lifting it well and lifting it quickly.”
It helps novice (and experienced) lifters realize that it's not about max weight. Lifting max weight can lead to injury. The lure of lifting some new max is enticing, but it's not worth it.

Also:

“I tend to do single-leg presses, usually for around six or eight reps,” says Kenny. “The leg press is funny because sometimes you’ll have a weight you can barely do for one, then you seem to be able to do it for six.
There is a lot of focus on squatting in the sprint (and weightlifting) community. Weighlifters will often dis the Leg Press. But, we can certainly benefit from it. Gains are gains.

But, I agree, it's generally a fluff piece. I'm sure that Team GB's coaches have forbidden them from giving out their actual training program. I've seen several articles like this from Team GB riders and they are all just as basic.
Old 10-27-17, 06:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by spartanKid
We should get some one to host a match sprint tourney where you're seeded by max barbell backsquat.
At this point, track sprinters are powerlifters on bikes.
Old 12-01-17, 07:56 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Because I'm a dork, apparently I wasn't including bar weight in my lifts.

Was doing pause/explosive squats Wed at 235lbs, and trap bar deadlifts at 295lbs (bodyweight 195). So...further ahead than we thought ^_^
Old 12-01-17, 09:06 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Is there a point where putting on extra strength and mass is a detriment?

Like X times bodyweight?

I ask theoretically, I'm a long way away from being anywhere near any sort of limit
Old 12-01-17, 09:11 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by southernfox
Because I'm a dork, apparently I wasn't including bar weight in my lifts.

Was doing pause/explosive squats Wed at 235lbs, and trap bar deadlifts at 295lbs (bodyweight 195). So...further ahead than we thought ^_^
Awesome!
Old 12-01-17, 09:24 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by ruudlaff

Like X times bodyweight?

I ask theoretically, I'm a long way away from being anywhere near any sort of limit
YES.

Where is that point? Um...it depends. You could train for years and never be near that point. I've seen HUGE roadies who are competitive in crits where you think that their size would hold them back.

The "it depends" part is very personal based on your goals and your body composition. I know it sounds vague, but it's true.

It also depends on your muscle fiber type and how you make energy. If you are a slow twitch or fast twitch. Whether you are training specifically for sprints, enduro, or all-around.
Old 12-01-17, 10:06 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts

Like X times bodyweight?

yes, but, it's not at a certain bodyweight. it depends on your goals and your limiters. if strength is a limiter, then, adding more is what you need and it's not a detriment. if strength stops being a limiter, then adding more is time wasted.
Old 12-01-17, 03:53 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Spousal unit wanted to get back to the Y before the post-holiday rush, so we bought in again. I have a lot of equipment at home, but it is easier to do the work when others are pushing themselves too. Enjoy!
Old 12-01-17, 07:07 PM
JimiMimni

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like X times bodyweight?

I can't speak specifically to track cycling, however:

In weightlifting (proper Olympic lifting, mind you!) if you're doing 2-3x bodyweight for back squat reps (3x5-3x10) you're likely "strong enough" and it's time to focus on adding speed to your lifts. The last article I read on the matter was a review paper from Dr. Gregory Haff indicated that body weight for a 3x10 back squat was acceptable strength for most team sports athletes, and between 1-2x bodyweight for the same set/rep scheme was acceptable for most strength/power sports.

Speaking of, the same article indicated that doing "power" work, or focus on the quick lifts, or "explosive" lifting, was less economical for athletes under the 1x bodyweight threshold, when compared to heavy resistance training. Meaning that squatting heavy will still make you jump better than jumping unloaded, or lightly loaded, until you're able to squat bodyweight for three sets of ten reps.

Hope this makes sense!
Old 01-30-18, 03:27 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
This is a build post of sorts

I have been wanting a new MTB for a bit, ---- but I have decided to delay gratification on that for awhile in favor of trying to whip my 46 yo body back into some semblance of shape besides round

I have a new house with a large bonus area that was slated to be a home theatre , ----- well, -- some life changing events like a divorce, tons of travel with work and other things meant the theatre room never got done, ---- after some evaluation, I decided that, considering most of my friends were "our friends" outside of a few buddies from the local cycling community -- I thought to myself that I would really get a lot more mileage out of a home gym than a home theatre

Heres the before pic -- was already sort of getting used for light workouts with d'bells, spinner , a trainer and a rower, -- but was a mess, with ugly floors and stinky stall mats

Got the mess cleaned up

Started ordering crap from Rogue - and made a flooring selection --- industrial grade rubber backed glue down carpet tiles ---- I had thought about going wall to wall with the stall mats, but this is a finished space with very close proximity to the main living part of the house, so I picked these instead

If you ever order anything from Rogue, be prepared for everything to be individually boxed --- and by the time I got everything laid out, -- I realized there was no hardware --- (faceslap) -- the flooring came out awesome IMO though !

The benches are from York and some of the small handful of things not sourced from Rogue --- the seat adjustment on the adjustable bench has a wider range than the competitively priced Rogue bench, so its a bit better for doing incline work -- darn things are ROCK SOLID

Once the hardware was sourced, I recruited some help for the final assembly processes --- and the best currency for this is not bit-coin

Darn thing turned out pretty cool

Sticking with bow flex adjustables for the d'bell selection -- kind of a controversial choice as a lot of people question their durability, ---- but I'm not going to be dropping them

Old 01-30-18, 03:33 PM
jfiveeight

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. It looks great. Did you go with a Rogue bar? They have so many options. Did you buy your plates new? I have plans to make a mini home gym (squat rack, platform) but the weights always seem to be the most expensive part.
Old 01-30-18, 03:39 PM
DMC707

I love the Concept 2 for non-cycling aerobic work --- but long steady cardio is boring so I re-purposed the flat screen from my master bedroom , -- figuring the bedroom is for sleeping not watching TV

This was a "luxury purchase" - as it is unnecessarily expensive in my eyes for a big digital clock, -- but I have been tinkering with it, and the adjustable interval timers on it are very cool -- have it set up for Tabata protocol intervals for the rower right now and I have to say it works well , --- a big buzzer lets you know when to transition from work to rest and back again

Last pic: Lest anyone see these pics and say --- that's just another overly entitled Masters age rider blowing money like a sailor on shore leave in Thailand,

I'll present to you my formal dining room setup --- this is where I hosted both Thanksgiving and Christmas for my extended family this year -- LOL

I figure the home gym, from the floor to ceiling and everything in between , -- probably costs about the same as a nicely appointed new Yeti SB 5.5 MTB, --- or a decent all hardwood custom dining room setup

The mountain bike and dining room will probably have to wait till next year ----- But if any of you trackies are ever stuck in Oklahoma for whatever reason and want to push some iron, just hit me up!
Old 01-30-18, 03:57 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by jfiveeight
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. It looks great. Did you go with a Rogue bar? They have so many options. Did you buy your plates new? I have plans to make a mini home gym (squat rack, platform) but the weights always seem to be the most expensive part.

The bar is a York powerlifting style bar --- really rigid. After a lifetime of using whatever bars the gyms I was at had, --- a brand new bar is actually a revelation -- I cant believe how nice it feels

I have some crunchy shoulders right now, and wont be doing Oly type stuff anytime soon until I get that figured out, -- but I was contemplating ordering a safety squat bar from them (Rogue) , in deference to my limited shoulder mobility

The bumper plates are Body Solid brand, and if I can remember where I got them i'll update you, but I bought those new and they were less than Rogue's prices

-- but the black rubber coated 45's were Craigslist finds , as was the Bowflex dumbbells . I had a set of those that went to 52 #'s and have used them for over a decade, -- but I found a set of the 90#'ers for half price on CL

The rubber coated 45's cost me $400 for 450 lbs, --- so just under the $1/ lb standard people try to shoot for , ---- which was pricey for CL maybe, but these were new with

I didn't realize it, but I found out after the bulk of the stuff was ordered and on the way, that I could have saved a significant sum of money by buying from a company called Titan, -- who basically clones Rogue's stuff and sells it cheaper, --- but once you pick your manufacturer, you have to stick with them, as pin placement and attachments vary from brand to brand

----- but that said, --- The Rogue stuff is pretty darn overkill for a home gym, but I compared the prices to stuff like Hammer Strength and York (brands you see commonly in college fieldhouses ) - and the Rogue stuff was a bargain compared to the true pro caliber stuff like that
Old 01-30-18, 05:44 PM
SyntaxMonstr

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DMC707
The bar is a York powerlifting style bar --- really rigid. After a lifetime of using whatever bars the gyms I was at had, --- a brand new bar is actually a revelation -- I cant believe how nice it feels

I have some crunchy shoulders right now, and wont be doing Oly type stuff anytime soon until I get that figured out, -- but I was contemplating ordering a safety squat bar from them (Rogue) , in deference to my limited shoulder mobility

The bumper plates are Body Solid brand, and if I can remember where I got them i'll update you, but I bought those new and they were less than Rogue's prices

-- but the black rubber coated 45's were Craigslist finds , as was the Bowflex dumbbells . I had a set of those that went to 52 #'s and have used them for over a decade, -- but I found a set of the 90#'ers for half price on CL

The rubber coated 45's cost me $400 for 450 lbs, --- so just under the $1/ lb standard people try to shoot for , ---- which was pricey for CL maybe, but these were new with

I didn't realize it, but I found out after the bulk of the stuff was ordered and on the way, that I could have saved a significant sum of money by buying from a company called Titan, -- who basically clones Rogue's stuff and sells it cheaper, --- but once you pick your manufacturer, you have to stick with them, as pin placement and attachments vary from brand to brand

----- but that said, --- The Rogue stuff is pretty darn overkill for a home gym, but I compared the prices to stuff like Hammer Strength and York (brands you see commonly in college fieldhouses ) - and the Rogue stuff was a bargain compared to the true pro caliber stuff like that

Your entire setup is SO FRICKEN SICK! I was contemplating building a home gym setup myself, as in the long run, it's more cost effective than going to my local, which is woefully ill-equipped. I'm definitely going to pick your brains on this a bit if that's alright.
Old 01-30-18, 09:41 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Nice setup! I invested in a home setup some years ago, but it had to go in a shed and that sucker gets damn cold in winter and damn hot in summer. Last winter I joined a gym about 200m from my work office and so I can go to a heated and air conditioned gym during my lunch breaks
Old 01-30-18, 09:53 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by SyntaxMonstr
Your entire setup is SO FRICKEN SICK! I was contemplating building a home gym setup myself, as in the long run, it's more cost effective than going to my local, which is woefully ill-equipped. I'm definitely going to pick your brains on this a bit if that's alright.
It was fun putting it together! (hence the hand truck full of cold gold for my mates )

There is an Olympic training center for rowing and kayaking in Oklahoma City that I am a member of (they let the unwashed masses work out for a nominal fee, but its almost a local secret, as the facility is largely under-utilized by the general public, --- but the equipment there is hardcore , so it has colored my opinions on what is "Ideal" )

I will add though, --- it doesn't matter how much you put into your gym financially, ------------ if you use the equipment for a clothes line and just flop down and watch TV when its leg day , ---- the guy with the janky secondhand Smith machine and mismatched equipment will dominate if he/she actually uses it

-this is my fear and what I have to be mindful of --- A lot of us cyclists seek retribution in the amount of dollars we spend in a way - and nice equipment is fun, but its sobering on a road ride when your on your $6000 Colnago and you cant hold the wheel of a exuberant newcomer on an aging Centurion
Old 01-31-18, 12:55 AM
carleton
Elitist

I can think of a lot worse ways to spend money (cars, motorcycles, boats, guitars, sneakers, etc...) None of those help us live longer.

Good job!

How much for a membership?
Old 01-31-18, 11:59 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by carleton
How much for a membership?

Ugggghhh --- old cars and motorcycles are also a distraction for me.

But as far as membership goes, -- its super easy, - An occasional 6 pack of "pinky in the air" beer, or dog treats
Old 01-31-18, 02:35 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the setup, kinda what I have thought about for myself. But then reality crashes in and I realize that my $20/year membership at 24 fitness outweighs (pun intended) the inconvenience of the 8 minute drive to it. Plus, when I retire and move into my RV, I don't have to find someone to buy/haul away it!
Old 01-31-18, 03:07 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Ugggghhh --- old cars and motorcycles are also a distraction for me.

But as far as membership goes, -- its super easy, - An occasional 6 pack of "pinky in the air" beer, or dog treats
I am so happy for you, but I also hate you just a little. But seriously, that is a nice set up and one I would love to mimic one day. I wish you very many safe and productive workouts in your new cave.
Old 02-01-18, 10:55 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by brawlo
Nice setup! I invested in a home setup some years ago, but it had to go in a shed and that sucker gets damn cold in winter and damn hot in summer. Last winter I joined a gym about 200m from my work office and so I can go to a heated and air conditioned gym during my lunch breaks

Dealing with the elements would seem to gel with the Crossfit way,

But i hear what your sayin' --- i have to have a modicum of comfort myself or i will be distracted from the workout and what needs to be done there
Old 02-01-18, 11:21 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Dealing with the elements would seem to gel with the Crossfit way,

But i hear what your sayin' --- i have to have a modicum of comfort myself or i will be distracted from the workout and what needs to be done there
The benefits have been twofold. The biggest problem was working out in winter. I found progression really hard and injury seemed to happen a lot easier. Having a heated gym has meant that last winter I made excellent progression, both in the gym and on the bike. Secondly, hitting the gym during my lunch break had opened up the ability to double up on gym days. I can hit weights at lunch and then go home after work for a hard trainer session. In the past, it would have to be one or the other. Hitting weights and hard bike on consecutive days wasn't conducive to progress. I've found a really nice groove in doing both hard sessions on the one day and then a recovery/tempo workout day in between.

Originally I purchased my setup to get away from the equipment hogging, selfie taking gym bros. Hitting the gym during lunch time sees my gym all but empty, with maybe a few cardio machine users and maybe a couple of weights users. My only problem is that I am time crunched and so work sessions as supersetting a hard leg exercise with an upper body equalizing exercise
Old 07-07-18, 10:38 AM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen a handful of videos of pro track cyclists doing these very short and fast leg presses, where they are only letting their legs go down about 6 inches or less from full extension. What type of leg press is this and what purpose does it serve?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.