Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks B17 Saddle Ordered! :)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Brooks B17 Saddle Ordered! :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 09:26 AM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Man falls in love with, and marries a saddle.
Film at 11:00
downhillmaster...a quick review of your recent postings exhibits a steady pattern of some rather negative commentary and responses towards others...I hope and pray whatever is troubling you gets resolved and that you have a better day.
Likes For Jinkster:
Old 05-22-20, 12:02 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
downhillmaster...a quick review of your recent postings exhibits a steady pattern of some rather negative commentary and responses towards others...I hope and pray whatever is troubling you gets resolved and that you have a better day.
Does this mean that I am not getting invited to the wedding between you and your well oiled saddle?
I am glad that you and that other poster worked that oil thing out btw. You were pretty negative towards his point of view there for a bit
Old 05-22-20, 03:14 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Does this mean that I am not getting invited to the wedding between you and your well oiled saddle?
I am glad that you and that other poster worked that oil thing out btw. You were pretty negative towards his point of view there for a bit
That is true which is why I apologized.
Likes For Jinkster:
Old 05-22-20, 04:38 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Downhillmaster. Really? Maybe you didn't listen when you were told if you can't say something good just don't say anything? Or maybe you are just a Troll. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Likes For Bluesfrog:
Old 05-24-20, 01:18 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
on

I now have slightly over 200 miles on my B17 Imperial. I've only used proofhide when the saddle was new and applied 2 coats. I'll probably re-apply every 6 months. At most I'll be putting in 25-30 miles/ride on my Trek 760 with the Brooks. Usually at the 20-25 mile point of my rides I want to stand up and pedal a few strokes to give my butt a rest. With the Brooks B17 I don't feel the soreness at the 20-25 mark. I would say the saddle still causes some discomfort but no pain. I had a few racing type saddles that were painful on longer rides. I'm guessing it'll take another 200-300 miles to get my saddle to the point where it will be discomfort-free, and it may be my saddle of choice if I decide to do a century or an eroica event.
Likes For momoman:
Old 06-01-20, 01:04 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
I don't recall my Brooks causing me any pain, but that may be due to the fact that I've had it 40 years and can't remember! I know, however, that i really like (and almost treasure) it.
Best. j
Old 06-01-20, 02:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
have a team pro bought in 1977,. . they only came in black-brown then..

after a decade they are part of you and you , they..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-02-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 04:53 PM
Surubi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still riding my Ideale 88 from the 1990's. Perfect fit to my anatomy.
Old 06-15-20, 08:32 PM
Captain Paul

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just awaiting delivery on a World Voyageur. Think I might switch my Brooks Imperial from my carbon road bike to the Schwinn and replace it with a carbon framed C13 Carved. Anybody tried one?
Old 06-17-20, 07:09 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I've only put about 125 miles on mine, but it's already very comfortable. My 225 pounds is apparently speeding the break-in process along.

Cheers!
Likes For camjr:
Old 06-17-20, 07:48 PM
Captain Paul

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, my Imperial is awesome. Anyone know anything about the carbon C13?
Old 11-28-20, 12:48 PM
cfbiker

Bikes: Vintage Gios Torino Super Record, 2018 Fuji Touring, Brooks B17 Special

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Brooks B17

My 30+ year old B17 was very comfortable until a few weeks back when one of the rails snapped while I was out on the trail! I'm only 5' 10", 175!

Although the saddle was awesome the leather is cracking and additional proofide isn't helping so I ordered a new one... (Actually I placed 3 different orders, but I have no confidence that the Amazon partner nor web bike shop will be able to deliver!). Even BrooksEngland claims many of the seats models are 'out of stock'. My B17 Special shipped today from from eBay!

I did try the Brooks Cambian C17 but it was just too hard, just like the saddle that came on my Fuji. Ugh! Even the Concor S Marco on my Gios isn't 'touring' comfortable.

I should have stopped looking after I placed the order because I then came across the Rivet Loveland... looks like a viable alternative!

Since I'm a new member I can't post the pictures of the leather condition. Maybe I'll consider fixing it myself in the future if I can order the parts. I'd like to upgrade to black rails and copper rivets but I don't think its worth paying someone $90+ to repair it for me.
Old 11-30-20, 09:02 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by cfbiker
My 30+ year old B17 was very comfortable until a few weeks back when one of the rails snapped while I was out on the trail! I'm only 5' 10", 175!

Although the saddle was awesome the leather is cracking and additional proofide isn't helping so I ordered a new one... (Actually I placed 3 different orders, but I have no confidence that the Amazon partner nor web bike shop will be able to deliver!). Even BrooksEngland claims many of the seats models are 'out of stock'. My B17 Special shipped today from from eBay!

I did try the Brooks Cambian C17 but it was just too hard, just like the saddle that came on my Fuji. Ugh! Even the Concor S Marco on my Gios isn't 'touring' comfortable.

I should have stopped looking after I placed the order because I then came across the Rivet Loveland... looks like a viable alternative!

Since I'm a new member I can't post the pictures of the leather condition. Maybe I'll consider fixing it myself in the future if I can order the parts. I'd like to upgrade to black rails and copper rivets but I don't think its worth paying someone $90+ to repair it for me.
I have used Brooks frames, rivets, etc. Let me know if I can help.
Old 11-30-20, 09:18 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I did find an online reference on Facebook from a bike shop that includes the following, in its FAQ on Brooks and Proofide. I have no idea if they're up in the night on this or not, but here's what they said:
"HOWEVER, in both of these two cases, it is very important to be mindful of the irreversible damage that can result from excessive application of Proofide. There is a risk that the leather will over soften and then no longer be able to support the rider’s weight."

Whether this is a statement supportable by evidence of it actually irreversibly damaging saddles by over-softening or not, I have no idea. This could just be some of that infamous Internet conventional wisdom for all I know.
I know this is an old post, but I only just saw it.

First of all, regarding the idea of "irreversible damage" bear in mind that (1) pretty much ANYthing you do to leather is irreversible, and (2) what's "damage" is a matter of opinion.

What effect Proofide will have on leather depends a great deal on the condition of the leather before you start. I had a couple Brooks saddles I bought new 10-15 years ago, that I believe I ruined with too much Proofide. And it wasn't even very much Proofide. It could be the Proofide did thi damage, or it could be these were just dud saddles, the leather not treated properly at the factory... I don't know. But I connected the failure of the leather to the Proofide. Did the leather really fail? No, but it sure got too soft for my taste. I also have some older Brooks saddles that are hard as plywood, and Proofide has done nothing to them at all.

My advice, re any saddle, is figure out how to make it comfortable by adjusting the position of the saddle and the rider. Once it's properly set up, the rest will follow. There are ways to soften the leather, and there are ways to make it harder, and all of them will 'damage' the leather in some way.
Old 12-02-20, 04:31 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
I just got back from a casual evening ride to my daughters house and back with the above comments in mind and had to chuckle thinking about how many times I adjusted this current Toupe saddle until I got it to the highly refined position it's currently at where my seat angle is steep enough to be just shy of bobbling my boys yet shallow enough to support my sit bones without the sliding forward feeling.

Now mind you I'm on a Crosstrail Hybrid where my upper torso is only in the 25-30deg range...nose of my seat is tipped down maybe 3-5 degs and while tolerable?...it still rings of a rock with a thin layer of foam between.
Sounds like you've done a good job on that Toupe! I would say, don't circular it until you are convinced about the Brooks.
Old 12-05-20, 04:22 AM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Best advice I’ve seen on Brooks saddles:

Brooks Pro

I followed it on my second Brooks and it works.

Cliff notes version: no proofhide, no oil, seal the underside, shoe polish the top
Old 12-05-20, 12:57 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

That's pretty unique, first time I've seen it, I think.
Old 12-05-20, 07:45 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Originally Posted by Road Fan
That's pretty unique, first time I've seen it, I think.
Yes, but I think it makes sense. Why add oil which breaks down the leather? Adding the damp rag to temporarily soften the saddle so it molds faster is also a great idea.
My newer saddle is about 18 months old, with 6,000+ miles on it and it looks brand new except for the dents for my sit bones. I also like that the polish keeps it slick.
YMMV
Old 12-06-20, 03:28 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Mmassey338
Yes, but I think it makes sense. Why add oil which breaks down the leather? Adding the damp rag to temporarily soften the saddle so it molds faster is also a great idea.
My newer saddle is about 18 months old, with 6,000+ miles on it and it looks brand new except for the dents for my sit bones. I also like that the polish keeps it slick.
YMMV
I agree it makes sense, but I'm reluctant to soak a new Brooks saddle in water. I have added oil to them - Proofide many years ago, other materials later, and now back to Proofide. That does not mean I am against the note from Bill Boston's site. So "YMMV" does not apply. But several experts on leather restoration and maintenance say leather needs its oils maintaned. The recommended amounts for a bike saddle are only clarified by Brooks, as far as I can see. At least one such experts is @rhm, here on BF and other forums.

On BF in the past we've had MANY discussions on "Brooks! What do I do?" and I have seen many people say they ruined their saddle. I have not seen that procedure before. I have not ruined one, so I think there is something wrong with the "anti-oil" point of view. Which is why I think if the corporate continuity of Brooks endorses a specific product, even if it's sold under their branding, I think it's most likely worth stucking with their product AND their recommended procedure. But I don't think it's the only good way, since quite few others have not had major problems. I've had used ones that sagged deeply as soon as I bmounted them and started riding, and I have two Team Pro selects of which one is too soft and the other too hard. Buying off ebay or even from List members can be a crap shoot. What I like are the older Brooks B17 Select for my wife's bikes, and a Brooks Swallow Select for trainer-riding. The Swallow started out hard as a rock due to its thickness (the Select leather) and its folding (the Swallow design), but it has a good shape and is starting to be a little resilient.

For my riding the biggest problems with a Brooks Pro and the B17s is the limited capability for setback, unless the seat tube is laid back at least to 70 degrees. The Swallow has the widest portion a few cm closer to the cantle compared to the others.
Old 12-06-20, 03:49 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I agree it makes sense, but I'm reluctant to soak a new Brooks saddle in water. I have added oil to them - Proofide many years ago, other materials later, and now back to Proofide. That does not mean I am against the note from Bill Boston's site. So "YMMV" does not apply. But several experts on leather restoration and maintenance say leather needs its oils maintaned. The recommended amounts for a bike saddle are only clarified by Brooks, as far as I can see. At least one such experts is @rhm, here on BF and other forums.

On BF in the past we've had MANY discussions on "Brooks! What do I do?" and I have seen many people say they ruined their saddle. I have not seen that procedure before. I have not ruined one, so I think there is something wrong with the "anti-oil" point of view. Which is why I think if the corporate continuity of Brooks endorses a specific product, even if it's sold under their branding, I think it's most likely worth stucking with their product AND their recommended procedure. But I don't think it's the only good way, since quite few others have not had major problems. I've had used ones that sagged deeply as soon as I bmounted them and started riding, and I have two Team Pro selects of which one is too soft and the other too hard. Buying off ebay or even from List members can be a crap shoot. What I like are the older Brooks B17 Select for my wife's bikes, and a Brooks Swallow Select for trainer-riding. The Swallow started out hard as a rock due to its thickness (the Select leather) and its folding (the Swallow design), but it has a good shape and is starting to be a little resilient.

For my riding the biggest problems with a Brooks Pro and the B17s is the limited capability for setback, unless the seat tube is laid back at least to 70 degrees. The Swallow has the widest portion a few cm closer to the cantle compared to the others.

It does not say to soak it.
The cloth should be damp but not so soaking wet that it drenches your bike. Then, just before you ride, take your thumbs and knead the area where your ischial bones will hit in order to start softening the leather. Ride an hour or two, with the washcloth OFF.
The saddle will get oils from your body, and like a nice pair of shoes, you just polish it
Old 12-08-20, 12:53 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
I have never understood the appeal of Brooks. I have heard they can take 500 miles to break in and are absolute torture during that time. Why? There are other choices that just work.
If those other choices work for you, great! But trust me, they don't work for me. And no, they don't take 500 miles to break in. I find them comfortable at mile 0.
Old 12-08-20, 01:26 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
If those other choices work for you, great! But trust me, they don't work for me. And no, they don't take 500 miles to break in. I find them comfortable at mile 0.
It would seem like you are the exception rather than the rule then.
Old 12-08-20, 01:37 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I also find them comfortable without any break-in.
They get more comfy as time goes by but I have never had an issue with them out of the box.
But not everyone is built the same way so...
Old 12-08-20, 03:07 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
It would seem like you are the exception rather than the rule then.
Honestly, I doubt it. I've read quite a few posts and spoken to lots of riders who find them comfortable from day one. I realize this is a *highly* personal decision so there's likely to be a ton of riders who might refer to them as "ass hatchets."

:-)
Old 12-12-20, 06:56 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I have a B17 and it's my 3rd Brooks saddle, all have been good from the beginning
never an issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.