Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New toy

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 01:33 PM
HookUp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
New toy

After bringing my 1980s man bike back to life, I wanted something a little newer, lighter and in my size. Was looking at the used market for something special. Been looking for a bike for the past year that was lighter than what I'm currently riding and more modern tech. And wouldn't make the wife scream at me for the price.

Found a couple bikes on the internet. Drove up to another state today and checked the both out. One was a carbon fiber Canyon Aeroad and the other was a heavily modified Ellsworth Roots Cyclocross - both made for my size. Buddy told me to get the cyclecross because he was sure the way I drive I would break the road bike.

I decided to drive both and pick the one that fit me best. The guy in the store was real nice, and since no one was around spent allot of time with me. Once I made my decision he also spent time fitting the bike to my diminutive statue.

I decided to listen to my buddy and come home with the Elisworth. It's about 1/2 the weight of my old bike, rides like a dream and fits me good, Once it's not bone chilling cold outside I'll follow up and let everyone know how it rides and fits. Whoever owned it modified it heavily with new forks, rims, handle bar tube, and a custom paint job. They also put a bend in the top tube to carry the bike easier - which I thought was a great idea because I've had to hike with my old bike on my shoulder and this should help. Someone replaced all the cables and cleaned it up nicely with new handle bar tape and a few other niceties.

I'm excited. First bike I've bought in almost 40 years.
Likes For HookUp:
Old 02-19-22, 01:50 PM
zaje

Bikes: Ridley XBow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Last summer I did something similar. I've been riding last 20 years a mid 90s full suspension MTB where the thing which looked like shock absorber in the middle of frame was actually just spring which you could only make tighter or looser and that thing weighed 44 pounds. After I finally weighted it I decided to get road or gravel bike, scrolled through local classifieds, quickly found some 5 years old Ridley X-Bow and pulled the trigger, now I am riding 25 pound gravel bike
Safe rides to you!
Likes For zaje:
Old 02-19-22, 09:24 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. I've bought a few in the past several years, so I can identify with your excitement. One difference between you and me--I don't talk to my wife about how much they cost.
Old 02-20-22, 10:27 AM
HookUp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
C-I don't talk to my wife about how much they cost.
I'm that way with fishing rods.
Old 02-20-22, 11:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. The previous owner probably did not put that bend in the top tube…at least I hope they didn’t. Ellsworth made them that way.
Likes For chaadster: