Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket spacer on foldie

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-22, 08:02 AM
skgsghj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,
I've a foldie and the stock bike comes with 2x 2.5mm spacer installed on drive side. BB shell is 68mm.
BB support 68/73mm and it is hollowtech type
The chainring type is the one with chainguard, so, the tooth is around 5mm closer to the frame.
then recently i changed the chainring with narrow-wide type without any chainguard.
if i kept the same installation, 2 spacers at DS, the chainline will be off, but if i removed the spacers (meaning no spacers at all on BB),
the chain line is perfect.
my question is, is that really okay to install BB without any spacer?

Thanks in advanced
Old 10-06-22, 08:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
It should work assuming that the BB cartridge fits a 68mm shell (and it sounds like it does). No harm in trying. Before you try anything, you may want to meditate a bit about how the new chainring was installed. A 5mm difference in chainline sounds a bit much just for a chainring switch, Perhaps the original chainring was dished a bit, or maybe you attached the new one on the outside of the crank spider but it should go on the inside.

In any case, good luck.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 10-06-22 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-06-22, 09:24 AM
skgsghj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Moe,

Thanks for your input here. Yes, I did try to remove all spacers, BB fit nicely and no resistance on the crank when I spin it.
tried to install the new chainring as the same position as the original, which is outside the crank spider that caused the 5mm chain line differences (rear is 45mm) an front is 50mm
The new chainring is straight up without any chainguard on the outside, while the old one there is a chainguard surrounding the teeth, therefore the teeth of old chain ring is positioned inside the chainguard with a space around 5mm as well, therefore, i believe the factory setting is completely aligned

in fact, i tried to put the new chainring inside the crank spider but it is stuck with the frame, especially on the wide tooth.

again the concern is on the spacer if this is a mandatory, I tried to search from web and watch some youtube, parktool, etc.but never specified if we can forgo the spacer, and just install BB without spacer on 68mm most are following shimano way of hollowtech II
Old 10-06-22, 04:38 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 354 Posts
Originally Posted by skgsghj
Hi,
I've a foldie and the stock bike comes with 2x 2.5mm spacer installed on drive side. BB shell is 68mm.
BB support 68/73mm and it is hollowtech type
The chainring type is the one with chainguard, so, the tooth is around 5mm closer to the frame.
then recently i changed the chainring with narrow-wide type without any chainguard.
if i kept the same installation, 2 spacers at DS, the chainline will be off, but if i removed the spacers (meaning no spacers at all on BB),
the chain line is perfect.
my question is, is that really okay to install BB without any spacer?

Thanks in advanced
Yes, no spacers is fine provided the BB can be screwed in completely flush and tight against the BB shell.
Old 10-07-22, 06:22 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by skgsghj
again the concern is on the spacer if this is a mandatory, I tried to search from web and watch some youtube, parktool, etc.but never specified if we can forgo the spacer, and just install BB without spacer on 68mm most are following shimano way of hollowtech II
The answer would be no. In fact the normal installation of a BB cartridge is with no spacers, though it's common to use them to adjust chainline. You'll be fine without the spacers.
Old 10-07-22, 11:07 AM
skgsghj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Ron
Likes For skgsghj:
Old 10-07-22, 11:08 AM
skgsghj