Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

PLP Rivendell Shop Visit

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

PLP Rivendell Shop Visit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-22, 04:28 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
“Their headquarters in Walnut Creek, California is hidden in plain site amongst capitalist squalor.”

Good description. In fact the few times a year when I go visit my financial guy I like to ride the short cut next to their building and then down the hill past the noodle house. I can cross Main street there and use the bike rack over that side. Then up the elevator to the money offices. I am surprised to see how much space they have now. Doesn’t look that big from the outside. I am glad to see they are thriving.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-09-22, 04:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
“Their headquarters in Walnut Creek, California is hidden in plain site amongst capitalist squalor.”

Good description. In fact the few times a year when I go visit my financial guy I like to ride the short cut next to their building and then down the hill past the noodle house. I can cross Main street there and use the bike rack over that side. Then up the elevator to the money offices. I am surprised to see how much space they have now. Doesn’t look that big from the outside. I am glad to see they are thriving.
Yep, like it or not, Riv is good for us, they hold a line that most have given up on and do so unashamedly.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-09-22, 04:34 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I find Rivendell, Grant Petersen, and Path Less Pedaled a refreshing change from bicycle news and commentary that seems 95% devoted to racing.
Old 03-09-22, 05:59 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
There's a whole lot I like about Grant and Rivendell, even if I don't subscribe 100% to their mantra. I've found that I can get by without full cycling kit and still enjoy riding, platform pedals work almost as well as clipless for me, and I don't feel ashamed riding with higher bars and fatter tires anymore.

S24O - In 2020, with no vaccines, I could still go out and camp overnight with a couple of friends - outdoors, socially distanced, and still enjoy it immensely. That's a brilliant idea.

Last edited by gugie; 03-09-22 at 06:05 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 03-09-22, 07:41 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
S24O - In 2020, with no vaccines, I could still go out and camp overnight with a couple of friends - outdoors, socially distanced, and still enjoy it immensely. That's a brilliant idea.
I made a reservation for my first S24O of the season—May 14-15. Harold Parker State Forest.
Old 03-09-22, 08:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by nlerner
I made a reservation for my first S24O of the season—May 14-15. Harold Parker State Forest.
I'm in!

As long as it's no more than 40 miles from my house. Let me pull out a map.
Old 03-09-22, 10:03 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I'm in!

As long as it's no more than 40 miles from my house. Let me pull out a map.
Well, only 30 miles from my house though if I go via Portland, it might add a few.
Old 03-09-22, 10:15 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Well, only 30 miles from my house though if I go via Portland, it might add a few.
A bit further for me.

starting from Oregon
Old 03-09-22, 11:47 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
I visited the shop once and met Grant and it/he's exactly like you'd expect. He's a nice guy who's into bikes...even though the bikes have gotten a bit weird in recent years..IMO. I also rode up Mt. Diablo and took the trails back to Walnut Creek...WOW! What a beautiful area and fantastic riding. If you are into Rivendell at all I think it's a trip that's worth taking.
Likes For Bogester:
Old 03-10-22, 09:09 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I used to do sub24s before I ever heard anyone talk about them. I just thought it was a way to go camping for essentially free. It was really nice to read Grant's book and find out I was not alone in some of my biking views. Having said this, there is almost nothing I can afford from Riv. My way of riding bikes of quality is riding old bikes. To that end this forum and it's members are priceless.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-10-22, 10:45 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
[QUOTE=Bogester;22434146]I visited the shop once and met Grant and it/he's exactly like you'd expect. He's a nice guy who's into bikes...even though the bikes have gotten a bit weird in recent years..IMO. I also rode up Mt. Diablo and took the trails back to Walnut Creek...WOW! What a beautiful area and fantastic riding. If you are into Rivendell at all I think it's a trip that's worth taking.
QUOTE]

If he offered the same thing, the place would be working out of one unit and possibly gone.
But they have gone on a tangent.
Velo Orange has also, satisfy a market slice then one better go looking for the next slice of pie.
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-11-22, 03:15 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
What’s Rivendell?
They have several models of offbeat steel frame designs produced in Taiwan every year, among other stuff. Here's my brother's Clem Smith Jr.:

Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

It's faster than it looks! I really like it.

https://www.rivbike.com/products

Last edited by Fredo76; 03-11-22 at 03:18 AM. Reason: add website
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-11-22, 05:18 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Grant's a world class marketer. A little to woke for me, but enjoyable to read.
Old 03-12-22, 10:04 AM
Retoocs

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
I went there back in the 90's when they were just getting started. I did get a bunch of Mavic parts like a starfish crank. I did buy a RONA (Retrogrouches of North America) shirt.
Old 03-12-22, 01:51 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,055 Posts
Enjoyed the video. That's the Grant Petersen I've spoken with a few times. Yes, he's opinionated, but he has solid thought-out reasons for his opinions, but he is not shyster and he is not making this stuff up to sound good. He tells you what he thinks, but he is never insulting about it. He wouldn't mind changing the world but I don't think he has the slightest interest in running the world, or even your world, and he certainly will not object if you want to buy something from his world.

The thing that people overlook about him is that his ultimate his core message: buy and ride the bike you like because it does what you want it to do. Rivendell is about selling products to a cycling population that is not interested trying to ride a Tour de France bike. Most of Riv's current line of frames/bikes are not my cup of tea, with the exceptions of the Roadeo and the Roadini. But I'm glad Rivendell is there to offer a different, assumption-challenging perspective to the cycling world.