Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Bike from around 1980

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 06:49 PM
pkrumhansl

Bikes: 1973 Zeus, 80's Limongi, Pinarello Asolo, Mondia Super, Colnago Master, Serotta CSi, Serotta Ottrot, Jamis Quest, Peugeot PU10, Salsa Lumberjack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

I recently acquired a bike from an estate sale of an avid cyclist who had live in Germany for 30 years before returning to Canada. He had told people it was a racing bike and he had toured all over Europe with it. It is a 57 cm square and has been painted blue, possibly over white. It has no decals or pantographed features, so it is a mystery what it is. It is a very nice looking lugged steel frame. It has Campagnolo dropouts at the rear, Zeus on the front fork and an RGB bottom bracket. The crankset, downtube shifters, brakes and derailler are Campagnolo Both sets of wheels have Dura Ace hubs, 6 speed casette, Ambrosia tubular rims, 22c tires. 3T stem and bars. San Marco saddle. It weighs 22.5 lbs with pedals
It rides quite nicely, reasonably stiff and controlled. It needs new tires and an overhaul.

The only distinctive feature are the head tube lug cutouts which have sharp V shape and an unusual cutout on the side of the top lug. The fork crown is simple with a flat top. The fork is a little stouter than normal I have seen on other bikes of that era. I have been searching for similar bikes and have not found a complete match.
Any ideas? (My first post So no pictures yet)
Old 07-28-22, 07:13 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Thumbnail Assistance

Originally Posted by pkrumhansl
...(My first post So no pictures yet)

If you post pictures of some size in Your Album, some kind soul will convey them over here for the Viewing Pleasure of The Members.
Old 07-29-22, 04:41 AM
pkrumhansl

Bikes: 1973 Zeus, 80's Limongi, Pinarello Asolo, Mondia Super, Colnago Master, Serotta CSi, Serotta Ottrot, Jamis Quest, Peugeot PU10, Salsa Lumberjack

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the pictures

I don't know how you did it but thanks for putting these up
Old 07-29-22, 07:07 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Guiseppe Limongi sometimes used the triangular cut-outs.

Old 07-29-22, 12:30 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
I also don't know how machinist42 found those thumbnails, cause I see no pics in your album pkrumhansl and thumbnails are very close to useless for the details we need to see.
For example the cutouts in the BB shell which are very unusual, but I can't tell what I'm looking at.
If you can go to your public profile and upload full size pics in the "album" there, then we can do some better guessing.
I don't think the headlugs tell us anything, they look to be stock items like Bocama Competition or similar
Old 07-30-22, 06:36 PM
pkrumhansl

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Mytery Bike Photos in an album in my profile

I put photos in an album. The thumbnails are cropped but when I click on them they expand.
They do look like the Bacama Competition lugs, Any list of who would build with them in early 1980's?
The cutout has a bit of a stylized V to it also. Sharp corners and a little dip along the top (see Vstyle pic). That style is on many of the lugs and inside of fork crown.
Thanks for your help.
Old 07-30-22, 07:21 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Pictures of Littly

Originally Posted by pkrumhansl
I put photos in an album. The thumbnails are cropped but when I click on them they expand.
They do look like the Bacama Competition lugs, Any list of who would build with them in early 1980's?
The cutout has a bit of a stylized V to it also. Sharp corners and a little dip along the top (see Vstyle pic). That style is on many of the lugs and inside of fork crown.
Thanks for your help.
Sorry, you are still only uploading thumbnails. Please try again?

OP's New Album: Mystery Bike 1980
Old 07-30-22, 07:41 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

lug note -

set used to construct the Limongi posted above is a Prugnat product, possible of the S serie

set used to construct subject frame appears to be BOCAMA Competition 83 with cutout nr. R1

-----
Old 07-31-22, 04:34 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
So while we wait for higher res images, is that an abstracted 'K' on the bottom bracket shell?
Old 07-31-22, 11:45 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
So while we wait for higher res images, is that an abstracted 'K' on the bottom bracket shell?
good guess but sure would help to have bigger. sharper pix...still waiting...
But riffing off this guess, my mind goes to Jim Redcay.
I don't see any details that would bolster this blind guess, but then I don't see enough details, period.

Redcay did seem to favor a "shot-in" fastback seat cluster, plus other custom touches not on display with the OP's frame.
And if it's a big "K" it's nothing like the one seen in BB shell of some higher end Japanese frames such as Nishiki Superbe and a few other models made by Kawamura.

For grins and skittles here's a pic of the K in a BB shell that I once posted to the well-thumbed "Show us your Drain Holes" thread (and not likely any JP frame would use BCM lugs, so this is only an "interesting tangent":

Last edited by unworthy1; 07-31-22 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 04:31 AM
pkrumhansl

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Cant seem to delete photos or add and Mystery bike details

I am having trouble uploading higher res photos, because I have reached a limit. I would like to delete the earlier pictures but can't get to a place to edit or delete.
I see others have this problem. I am on a laptop
I can save the .jpegs full size but they are 2 mB a piece. There is a large also which does about 300 mB

About the Mystery bike. The chainstays are not crimped and the RD cables stop is a brazed on bead. Also the derailler cable routing is under the bottom bracket. When did this start? 70's bike had the little channel on top of the bottom bracket.

I will look at Limongi. I actually have a 1980's Limongi too
Old 08-02-22, 04:58 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Kalkhoff?
Old 08-09-22, 04:25 AM
pkrumhansl

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Mystery Solved - Krabo

Mystery solved. I contacted a friend of the original owner and he told me the whole story. David and his friend had frames built in 1979 by a German frame builder Gunter Krautsheid, an ex racer from the German national team. He started a frame building business for racers and tourers with the name Krabo in Bochum Germany. He built many frames over the years, many of which are for sale on ebay in Germany. There is still a bike shop there, run by his son, building custom bikes.

David built his bike up with Campy and Dura Ace parts. Later he had it repainted with no decals which he preferred. David and his friend toured around Corsica, then Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. There are pictures of happy friends on the bikes.

I have started to refurbish and ride the bike and am getting to know its character. I enjoy riding it on short rides and it has a nice controlled feel, stiff enough not to be springy and fairly efficient on climbing. It has 22m tubulars which are new to me, and once I pumped them up to 135 psi the bike seemed to come alive. A nice road feel.

The value of the Krabo bikes are not too high, but I will clean this one up and may do a repaint for fun. I found some new Continental sprinter tires and will enjoy the gluing of tubulars for the first time. Another enjoyable project.
Likes For pkrumhansl: