Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Old 09-18-22, 12:30 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
hrmmm hope that means chromoly

Can someone tell me if my understanding is correct about what is going on at the upper headset, or explain to me if I've got it wrong? As I understood it from reading in the old Swift thread, the steerer is tapered 1-1/8 to 1, the upper headset is threaded, and the steerer protrudes enough that the extension can clamp on with a 28.6 QR seat clamp. Is that right?
Yes, it is chromoly, and yes, that describes the steerer tube pretty well.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-18-22, 12:50 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
The rack sits up high so that it doesn't interfere with the seat post when folding. We are redesigning the rack (thanks to feedback from the forum) to improve the aesthetics and to see if we can use it as a stand in the folded position.
Montaguebikes dot com has the folder rack that doubles as a stand. Take a look at it.
Old 09-18-22, 01:32 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Montaguebikes dot com has the folder rack that doubles as a stand. Take a look at it.
Thanks for the recommendation. It is a good point of reference.
Old 09-18-22, 01:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My brain won't stop doing this stupid stuff

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-18-22, 04:16 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 353 Posts
I will have to weigh a frame alone, we didn't do that yet.
The bike as shown, without the rack, is about 28 pounds.
The wheelbase is 39.75"
Thanks.

Wheelbase is 101cm for the rest of the world. I guess that's not too bad. Some here, though, may balk and think it not "stable" enough. 😉
Old 09-18-22, 04:22 PM
Ron Damon

My brain won't stop doing this stupid stuff

Yeah... You should get that checked out by a professional. 😂
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 09-18-22, 04:33 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Thanks.

Wheelbase is 101cm for the rest of the world. I guess that's not too bad. Some here, though, may balk and think it not "stable" enough. 😉
We are at 100.9cm. If anyone notices 1mm I will be shocked.
Old 09-18-22, 04:40 PM
Ron Damon

We are at 100.9cm. If anyone notices 1mm I will be shocked.
Check your rounding off. Seeing the predilections of a few here, you're better off rounding up. 😉😉
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 09-18-22, 04:43 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
The rear rack in black would be fine, I don't think it "uglifies the bike" and I don't care what bikepackers do. I like the painted wheels, it's not common for the average rider to be swapping 20" wheels with other bikes.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 09-18-22, 04:46 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
The rear rack in black would be fine, I don't think it "uglifies the bike" and I don't care what bikepackers do. I like the painted wheels, it's not common for the average rider to be swapping 20" wheels with other bikes.
I ain't taking the bait. 🪤
​​​​​​🙄😂
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 09-18-22, 05:16 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Thanks.

101 is enough to keep it stable. Longer means going to another type of frame and wheel size. Folding bikes with 20 inch wheels and smaller, have by their nature, short wheelbases. That’s the fun factor.

Last edited by jfouellette; 09-18-22 at 05:20 PM.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 09-18-22, 05:32 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Yes, it is chromoly, and yes, that describes the steerer tube pretty well.

What about a decal or graphic on the frame indicating the material it's made of?

"4130 Chromoly" written near the bottom of the seat tube if that's what it's made of?
Old 09-18-22, 06:22 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
What about a decal or graphic on the frame indicating the material it's made of?

"4130 Chromoly" written near the bottom of the seat tube if that's what it's made of?
yes, we will add that.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-18-22, 06:32 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by jfouellette
101 is enough to keep it stable. Longer means going to another type of frame and wheel size. Folding bikes with 20 inch wheels and smaller, have by their nature, short wheelbases. That’s the fun factor.
That's exactly right. But others here accustomed to and wedded to 104.5cm wheelbase ocean liners may balk and protest. 😉
Old 09-18-22, 06:50 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
That's exactly right. But others here accustomed to and wedded to 104.5cm wheelbase ocean liners may balk and protest. 😉
The Swift and the XootrSwift were 104 cm. Less is fine with me.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 09-19-22, 01:44 AM
anga

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
hrmmm hope that means chromoly

Can someone tell me if my understanding is correct about what is going on at the upper headset, or explain to me if I've got it wrong? As I understood it from reading in the old Swift thread, the steerer is tapered 1-1/8 to 1, the upper headset is threaded, and the steerer protrudes enough that the extension can clamp on with a 28.6 QR seat clamp. Is that right?
Hope it is different now.
Threadless to make disassembly and assembly easier.
1-1/8 straight for easy availability of rigid forks. If 1-1/8 to 1 tapered rigid forks are widely available, I don't care about about 1-1/8 straight.
Old 09-19-22, 01:58 AM
anga

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Removing the pivot boot:
Is there enough clearance for a regular socket to fit? Or do we have hunt for a thin-walled socket?
Prefer sufficient clearance for a regular socket.

Old 09-19-22, 02:58 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
A longer wheelbase doesn't mean a more stable less agile bike. The Brompton has a longer wheelbase and is not really stable.

But it may reduce the reach and make the bike less suitable for taller riders.

About the painted rims, one major drawback is that painting is fragile and is easily damaged when riding off-road or while changing a tire.
Old 09-19-22, 07:06 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by anga
Removing the pivot boot:
Is there enough clearance for a regular socket to fit? Or do we have hunt for a thin-walled socket?
Prefer sufficient clearance for a regular socket.

Neither. It is a 5mm Allen fitting.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-19-22, 08:50 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Jur needs to come back from banishment and comment on the new Swift.
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 09-19-22, 12:25 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Jur needs to come back from banishment and comment on the new Swift.
Self imposed banishment,... LoL! He'd definitely have some positive input.
Old 09-20-22, 06:45 PM
gleearch

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque Standard Disc, Tern Verge D9, Tern Link D8, Dahon Curve

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for sharing photos of the prototype. How a bike looks is very personal and no two people will likely share the same opinion. It's a folding bike and there are many who refer to them as clown bikes, and I have had my share of people making snide comments and others than have shown interests and complimented my folders.
I like that you are client-centric and trying to keep the costs reasonable and at the same time offering amenities like a bike specific folding rear rack. That says something about you, your company and is impressive and not easily found these days.
That said while I like the idea of the rack, this particular design is a bit chunky. Tern (I know not a favorite of some forum members but to each their own) has some fairly well designed racks as a point of inspiration.
The Birdy rack is simplicity, folds with the bike and you can add roller wheels for ease of pushing it around. A black rack to match the stem and other black parts would tie the design together.
Black wheels to match the other black parts would round it out but then, beauty is very personal and some will like the matching painted wheels.
You already mentioned that the rack is easily removable. Provide the rack and those who do not need it can remove it. It's better than the opposite. Not providing it and having some owners either have to purchase your rack separately or find a third party rack that may not fit the bike as well.

I know having different color choices will increase manufacturing costs. Maybe keep it simple and see what the take up is and then if successful, roll out other color choices. The green is interesting but not a favorite color for me. If you have someone who can do a Photoshop color study of various color combinations, you could provide a poll or survey and see which ones have the most votes.

The overall fold isn't the smallest but that is the design that matches the original. Since the handlebars do not fold down, have you considered a quick release handlebar stem like the Pacific Reach. It's not a true folder either, but removing the handlebar and stem helps pack it tighter.
Have you considered an adjustable stem extension for the handlebar? Something like what litepro does or Tern with it's Andros stem? That makes the bike a tad more customizable for the variously shaped riders. I know it increases costs.

For a prototype this looks good and you are local. I'm still looking for the perfect folder that provides a decent fold, has good riding characteristics, is reasonably fast and does not break the bank. This might fit the bill.

Last edited by gleearch; 09-20-22 at 06:48 PM.
Likes For gleearch:
Old 09-20-22, 08:52 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by gleearch
Thanks for sharing photos of the prototype. How a bike looks is very personal and no two people will likely share the same opinion. It's a folding bike and there are many who refer to them as clown bikes, and I have had my share of people making snide comments and others than have shown interests and complimented my folders.
I like that you are client-centric and trying to keep the costs reasonable and at the same time offering amenities like a bike specific folding rear rack. That says something about you, your company and is impressive and not easily found these days.
That said while I like the idea of the rack, this particular design is a bit chunky. Tern (I know not a favorite of some forum members but to each their own) has some fairly well designed racks as a point of inspiration.
The Birdy rack is simplicity, folds with the bike and you can add roller wheels for ease of pushing it around. A black rack to match the stem and other black parts would tie the design together.
Black wheels to match the other black parts would round it out but then, beauty is very personal and some will like the matching painted wheels.
You already mentioned that the rack is easily removable. Provide the rack and those who do not need it can remove it. It's better than the opposite. Not providing it and having some owners either have to purchase your rack separately or find a third party rack that may not fit the bike as well.

I know having different color choices will increase manufacturing costs. Maybe keep it simple and see what the take up is and then if successful, roll out other color choices. The green is interesting but not a favorite color for me. If you have someone who can do a Photoshop color study of various color combinations, you could provide a poll or survey and see which ones have the most votes.

The overall fold isn't the smallest but that is the design that matches the original. Since the handlebars do not fold down, have you considered a quick release handlebar stem like the Pacific Reach. It's not a true folder either, but removing the handlebar and stem helps pack it tighter.
Have you considered an adjustable stem extension for the handlebar? Something like what litepro does or Tern with it's Andros stem? That makes the bike a tad more customizable for the variously shaped riders. I know it increases costs.

For a prototype this looks good and you are local. I'm still looking for the perfect folder that provides a decent fold, has good riding characteristics, is reasonably fast and does not break the bank. This might fit the bill.
The rack will be black, we just took the photo prior to painting. Additionally, we are redesigning the rack now to make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing, and so it will function as a stand in the folded position. We are also adding wheels to the rack so the bike can be rolled in its folded position. Give us a week and we should have new photos to share.

The green rims probably won't make production, they are a bit divisive. We will be offering the bike in a gloss white with matte black trim (trooper white) and in gloss back with matte black trim and silver logo (Vader black). We will do the green, and a fourth color that I still haven't chosen yet.

There is a quick release on the handlebar stem so you can turn it 90 degrees, or simply remove it.

Once I have the prototype complete and ready to ride, you are welcome to come by and test it out.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-21-22, 02:50 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by gleearch

I fully agree with Gleearch: providing the bike with the rack that perfectly fit for it is much better than letting the buyer find a rack that won't perfectly fit and will need ugly adapters to be mounted on it.

Those who don't like/need it can easily remove it.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 09-21-22, 04:01 PM
gleearch

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque Standard Disc, Tern Verge D9, Tern Link D8, Dahon Curve

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The rack will be black, we just took the photo prior to painting. Additionally, we are redesigning the rack now to make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing, and so it will function as a stand in the folded position. We are also adding wheels to the rack so the bike can be rolled in its folded position. Give us a week and we should have new photos to share.

The green rims probably won't make production, they are a bit divisive. We will be offering the bike in a gloss white with matte black trim (trooper white) and in gloss back with matte black trim and silver logo (Vader black). We will do the green, and a fourth color that I still haven't chosen yet.

There is a quick release on the handlebar stem so you can turn it 90 degrees, or simply remove it.

Once I have the prototype complete and ready to ride, you are welcome to come by and test it out.
That sounds cool. Yes, I would love to test ride, though I'm just a regular person who happens to like riding folding bikes. My opinion doesn't mean much. My friends do not understand my fondness for folding bikes. I just like the concept of folding bikes, the engineering and design behind them. I appreciate the offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.