Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chopper or Grifter

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chopper or Grifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-22, 01:06 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Chopper or Grifter

As an eight year old thug my arch rival on the estate had a PURPLE RALEIGH CHOPPER and a hot sister that loved the Bay City Rollers. But I knew my day was gonna come when I could trade the 3 speed Puch for the Raleigh Grifter at Christmas. Turned out to be as likely as my sister getting a Pony. Never did get that Grifter- the first BMX/mountain bike- and how much does a 1975 Purple Chopper go for now?
Anyone else still lusting after something from way back, no not his sister!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Raleigh Chopper 201502.jpg (37.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg
images.jpg (7.0 KB, 160 views)
Likes For brixxton:
Old 09-24-22, 07:39 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
LOL I grew up in Montana when I got my first 10 speed, an Azuki, the shop had a racing fuji tubular tires and all in crisp white at 400 dollars or so it was wildly out of my budget (paid $160 for the azuki) and impractical.

I still have a fantasy of going back home and finding it NOS at a garage sale or similar

Old 09-24-22, 08:08 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
It's worth more than your Garlatti.
Old 09-24-22, 06:03 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by brixxton
As an eight year old thug my arch rival on the estate had a PURPLE RALEIGH CHOPPER and a hot sister that loved the Bay City Rollers. But I knew my day was gonna come when I could trade the 3 speed Puch for the Raleigh Grifter at Christmas. Turned out to be as likely as my sister getting a Pony. Never did get that Grifter- the first BMX/mountain bike- and how much does a 1975 Purple Chopper go for now?
Anyone else still lusting after something from way back, no not his sister!
Got a big scar in my chin from dropping the front wheel of a chopper into a pothole many many moons ago .
Still remember vividly ,walking up the road holding the flap of skin shut on my chin while blood poured down my arm ( 40 plus years ago ! )
I remember lusting after annodised bmx parts back then .
Lost the lust when I moved on to road bikes

Ahh those were the days !
Old 09-25-22, 10:37 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by brixxton
...and how much does a 1975 Purple Chopper go for now?
In case you did not know, the answer is, approximately $3k.
Old 09-25-22, 11:24 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 542 Posts
~1980 I had a Mongoose with steel wheels, coaster brake, some sort of cast-iron/steel quill stem and if I saw a PK Ripper or an SE Quadangle I would turn green with envy. That PK seemed hyper-exotic since it was made of aluminum and the Quad was from another planet. I don’t want either now since a 50+ y/o guy riding a BMX bike looks absurd but back then, a Quad and holding hands with flaxen-locked Stacie H was the stuff of dreams.

FWIW - last I heard, an SE Quad frameset was around $4k. No idea what it would take to hold hands with Stacie H…
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 09-25-22, 11:44 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 542 Posts
…a brief scan of the interwebz informed me that the original Quads were Reynolds 531. Pat myself on the back for my discerning taste even in my youth. 🙄
Old 09-25-22, 03:07 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
similar to OP's objects of "desire" from the other side of the iron curtain (Hungary)... many kids didn't have bikes, hose who had any we already cool... those with these were supercool, and those with "Western"-foreign bikes were politicians' kids.
The manufacturer CSEPEL was bought by Schwinn, but these days they operate again independently as a Hungarian firm if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Lattz; 09-25-22 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-27-22, 07:26 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Chopper collection

unbelievable 12k (UK money) for a gold one