Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why don't more people ride bikes for commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Why don't more people ride bikes for commuting?

Old 09-22-22, 08:03 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
40 years of bicycle commute advocacy is great thing. It makes a positive difference.

Sometimes I like to think that riding to work sets a good example. But I always go around the circle where it can also be said that I'm the oddball being virtually the only person who rides to work, and that I'm reality just an eccentric bike and health nut.

It's still disappointing after all these years.

eBikes do get new people on.bikes where I live, that's for sure. From my POV commuting on an eBike would take a lot of the beneficial exercise out of my commute. But if the commute were 30 miles, then I could see it becoming a necessity.

Shooting from the hip about half of the riders I see commuting ( and that's a tiny number) are on eBikes. Then about half of the eBikes sound terrible - like they have drivetrain issues - like they need chaim lube and new chains and entire drivetrain overhauls .

And now there are the electric scooters and skateboards out there as well. I see them as toys which will probably have to be thrown away when their lifecycle is complete because they will become obsolete and replacements for broken parts will not be available.

​​​​​​And then let's not get started on all of these people being oblivious to the sounds around them because they are rocking out to in-ear blue tooth speakers and talking on their cell phones.

That's how it is where I commute.

Among the few bike paths there are around here, it's slower than riding on the surface streets even with all the traffic lights.

And now in small sections, always near schools where children are more often driven to school, there are now bike lanes separated from the road by low curb barriers. I suppose they make non-cyclist feel safer, but the effect is opposite on me.

Perhaps their hearts are in the right place. That's appreciated. Also they've been painting the streets with green paint that becomes slippery when wet! Of course I'm the only one out riding when it rains. LOL.

I don't even think cash incentives to bike commute will work. How can you compete with the best audio system in the household?

Although I despise the sound systems that vibrate license plates coming fr behind being able to enjoy your music in a car is pretty nice. Oh and don't get me started on the wannabe racer exhaust systems on late model ICE engines! OTH I have a turbo coupe that will pop and growl if driven carelessly.

When it comes down to it, people will do what they want if they can. If they don't want to ride, they won't.

I have tried to get people to ride to work, but it's never amounted to a hill of beans as they say. There was one woman who roller skates to work until they moved too far away for that. I thought that was the bees knees. I thought about trying to roller skate to work and that would be a great workout, but there I found myself like everyone else except that in my case I couldn't see myself getting out of my bike.

The other alternative, bus and light rail has been used off and on by my peers sporadically. It's hard to beat the convenience of personal transportation. It seems like all of the public transportation users end up back in cars after a while.

What I'd like is one paid day off per year for riding a bike to work. That'll never happen. Just for laughs .

​​​
Old 09-23-22, 02:08 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
So its less of a case of not “wanting” to bicycle commute than “not being able to” bicycle commute. That’s two very different things. It’s okay if you don’t want to but please don’t say you can’t.

Again, most cities weren’t really “designed” for cars. Most of them…at least a substantial proportion of the city…existed before cars came into being. Yes, there are towns that were designed and built after cars came into being but, for the most cities, cars were added in after the city was built. Denver, for example, has about a 10 to 15 mile diameter (that’s 175 square miles) that existed prior to cars. Even the suburbs that Denver grew to meet existed prior to cars and have their own areas designed for other traffic than cars.

A “lifestyle cyclist” will make even those places that were designed for cars someplace they can, and will, ride.
Oh I never said I can't. It's a lame excuse that I don't bike to work, and yet I cannot convince myself to do it over driving. The whole point of my post was that if an experienced cyclist/commuter like myself can find such a feeble excuse to not ride, then I can't blame beginners with more legitimate concerns for not trying.

I still think of myself as a lifestyle cyclist from years gone by even though it's no longer much of a lifestyle for me. I've just come to terms with the fact that I don't live in a as cycling-friendly part of town as I used to. My roadie, gravel bike, MTB, and city bikes still get the occasional spin, but I've just given up (for now) trying to make my surroundings something that it's not (a place conducive to a two-wheeled lifestyle). I see folks trying, and I applaud and support from my keyboard.
Old 09-23-22, 02:45 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
  • They don't care enough about our planet.
  • They don't care enough about themselves, their children and their grand children.
  • They don't realize that the extra time spent on their bike commute is less than the daily workout that they need to do anyway.
  • They don't realize the freedom that cycling give them, despite all the apparent inconveniences : free to go anywhere at any time without worrying about fuel, credits, insurance.
  • They don't know how good it feels to do the right thing, even though everyone else is doing the wrong thing and no one really cares.
  • They don't know how it feels when you see a fellow cyclist :
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 09-23-22, 07:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
It's area, and situation dependant and for most it's not remotely possible. Or makes little sense.
So you don't commute by bike because you don't want to commute on a bike. Got it.
Old 09-23-22, 07:37 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by Sorcerer
What I'd like is one paid day off per year for riding a bike to work. That'll never happen. Just for laughs.
​​​
Sure it happens! Most every year on my birthday, for my Birthday Ride. I put it on my calendar, my bosses don't do more than blink, and I enjoy the heck out of riding the bike for many miles!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-23-22, 09:56 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker

Puzzled, anyway what some folks are describing is the type of riding I do in the suburbs. Difference is road condition, and distance. Not much traffic, underground infrastructure which causes road surface problems is great, but doesn't exist up here.

Smooth rides and flying on them to work is great, but it ain't workin' for most.
I also ride in the suburbs. As I had indicated a 20 minute drive over time became longer due to the natural growth of traffic congestion. And that was only for 4km.

As for cycling, half my ride is through the park trail and the other half is through car traffic. Congestion or auto collisions don't affect my ride. The only thing that does affect my ride is how deep the snow is in the trails.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-23-22 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-23-22, 10:22 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
There are a lot of known health issues with commuting by bike. Never mind the risk of crashes/accidents. Saddle sores. Hand issues such as chafing, callouses and carpal tunnel. Sore leg muscles, both during and after. Back issues. And the big risk, enlarged heart. (Also heart rate and blood pressure can get scary low. Not an issue driving.) I get reminded of my enlarged heart every time i get chest X-rays or a new doc for my physicals. Compare this to driving. No sores. No exertion straining the back. Heart stays small.

I have some idea what I am talking about, I've done roughly 200,000 miles each, driving and riding and roughly half that has been commuting or city riding/driving. (And biggest health issue of bicycle commuting? Save ER visits, we support the national health establishments poorly.)
Old 09-23-22, 10:46 AM
Daniel4

.... There are no new excuses. All of the excuses used now….
Oh yes there is. Someone (post #57) just claimed that cycling is bad for your health.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-23-22, 10:55 AM
Daniel4

So its less of a case of not “wanting” to bicycle commute than “not being able to” bicycle commute. That’s two very different things. It’s okay if you don’t want to but please don’t say you can’t.

If someone doesn't want to cycle even if all the excuses for not cycling is gone, I think that's a problem.

I'm not opposed to someone's freedom to choose, but those people who choose to remain as part of the problem are the same people complaining about traffic congestion put traffic and city planners in a bind.

Install bicycle infrastructure and they will be used by those who have always wanted to cycle. As for those who want to continue to drive, let them whine about the congestion they create.
Old 09-23-22, 10:31 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I also ride in the suburbs. As I had indicated a 20 minute drive over time became longer due to the natural growth of traffic congestion. And that was only for 4km.

As for cycling, half my ride is through the park trail and the other half is through car traffic. Congestion or auto collisions don't affect my ride. The only thing that does affect my ride is how deep the snow is in the trails.
That makes sense, and is my point. A 15 mile plus ride is nearly impossible in a reasonable amount of time with traffic and many other variables mentioned by some in this thread.

The only thing that stops me from riding in the winter is snow, black ice, and bitter cold which we don't get a lot of in the mid Atlantic.

I may not ride in the summer for a few weeks the heat and humidity is just to intense.

The brief time I did commute by bike made perfect sense.

I only drove a couple times this week. And most likely will not drive at all this weekend. Unless I find a great large score. Doubtful.
Old 09-23-22, 10:49 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Does not follow.

I'm about a 25 minute drive from my office, or a 45 minute bike ride. So I spend 40 extra minutes to exercise every day I cycle to work.

Funny thing is, there's this phenomena called traffic. On a bad traffic day it takes me 50 minutes to ride home. On that same bad traffic day the time it takes to cycle is ... 45 minutes.

So cycle to work, or don't, but please don't waste time making silly excuses.
i have a very short commute no matter how i slice it, because i refuse to live a long distance from work, for obvious reasons. interestingly i’ve discovered that with some experience, cycling is actually the fastest way to get there:

walk: 25 minutes, free
public transit: 15-25 minutes, $2.50 each way
drive own car / park: 10-25 minutes, $20-$30 per day
uber/lyft: 10-30 minutes, $8-20 each way
scooter: 15-20 minutes, $8 each way
bike: 8-12 minutes, free

another huge upside to biking is that if i bring my gear and have a break in the day i can go for a real ride!
Old 09-24-22, 06:54 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Walking and biking are not free, but I do appreciate your thoughts.

I see cyclists climbing up to the top of a mountain often here. The use of the bicycle is to climb the mountain. It is not free because of the cost of the bike and accessories, plus human fuel. On the other hand, if that same rider were going somewhere to accomplish a transportation need, there is a cost savings over other methods.
Old 09-24-22, 08:27 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill

I see cyclists climbing up to the top of a mountain often here. The use of the bicycle is to climb the mountain. It is not free because of the cost of the bike and accessories, plus human fuel. On the other hand, if that same rider were going somewhere to accomplish a transportation need, there is a cost savings over other methods.
technically true, but the incremental cost of a relatively short commute is probably not even measurable assuming one wants to have the bike anyway. at least in my case, i don’t buy bike stuff (or walking stuff) specifically for commuting. tires are probably the only measurable element, $80 for 3,000 miles on a rear, about 3 cents a mile.

i believe with the cost of driving in the range of 50 cents a mile for most modern vehicles, plus parking in an urban context, biking to work will almost always be much, much cheaper. (assuming you don’t replace the calories expended with bluefin tuna or something.)
Old 09-24-22, 09:03 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill

I'm not sure what your point is. Nothing is free. Compared to other transportation methods, cycling is the most cost and energy efficient, and it produces very little collateral damage that other people and things have to pay for.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-24-22 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-24-22, 09:51 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Chuck Naill

My commute is five+ miles each way, daily cost after initial investment is near zero. Time is 30 minutes each way.

The bus is $4 per day, Each trip takes 30 to 55 minutes, depending. Often the return trip can take more than an hour.

Commuting saves me $20 a week. My bike cost me $600. Thirty weeks of commuting paid for it. I haven't calculated time savings, but it's substantial. The bike paid for itself very quickly, there are the undeniable health benefits of riding, and my commute is not the only use my bike gets.

Bottom line is that my biking is much more than free at this point, in money, time, AND health.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 09-24-22, 02:26 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
I don’t think this has to be a binary decision. At many of my jobs I’ve always had a bike in the trunk of my car. When I used to drive 50 miles to Menlo park I always knew that if I wanted to I could go for a ride. And I often did to explore the trails around the South end if the bay. With a little bushwacking I could go a lot of places. In the middle of the day I was just gone and nobody noticed.

And speaking of facilities everywhere I’ve worked in these 32 years I’ve always been able to find showers and changing area. Sometimes I just asked the CEO’s secretary. Her response was usually “he never uses it, go ahead”. On the flip side sometimes it was the maintenance guys area and with minor persuasion I got the key. Rarely saw anyone else in there

Get out and ride!
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 09-24-22, 03:22 PM
Joseph Williams

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, although I'm in favor of riding bike to work I'm not all the way against not taking bike to work too. Firstly, for people who walk, yes it takes a little more time but I surely thing it's a better form of cardio. Secondly, if you consider the roads, there is a little element of risk for riding a bike especially because there aren't enough bike lanes. And lastly, people could have physical conditions that could prevent them from cycling all the way to work.
Old 09-24-22, 03:23 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
To return to the original poster's question, I agree that it is astounding that people will walk 30 minutes to work, when using a bike would be faster. less tiring, and less sweaty. I think one factor is that the cycling community sees bikes as some combination of sport, exercise, and environmental virtue signaling. These attitudes do not encourage the use of bikes as tools to make life more convenient and easier. Exposed chains no fenders or lights, and riding positions not suited to normal clothing reduce the convenience of cycling. The wider question of bicycle commuting over long distances probably comes town to the fact that many destinations have convenient, nearby car parking. If there is a place to park, why do anything but drive?
Old 09-24-22, 03:35 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by PaulH
. If there is a place to park, why do anything but drive?
Real estate is expensive. If drivers are getting free parking at work or in the shopping centres, someone else is paying that space for them. Free parking should be considered as a taxable benefit.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-24-22, 04:06 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie

Why don't more people ride bikes for commuting.

1. Habit.
2. Habit.
3. Habit.

Why don’t I drive a car to work? Habit.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 09-26-22, 01:21 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Hard to bike in a suit.
Hard to bike on highways.
Can't shower at work.
Old 09-26-22, 04:08 PM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Hard to bike in a suit.
Can't shower at work.
Only paved roads where you live and work are highways? No suburban streets or back alleys? No handicap stalls at your work so you can't clean up with baby wipes and change? I think I'd move and/or find a new job.
Old 09-26-22, 08:05 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Hard to bike in a suit.
Can't shower at work.
Right here in the Commute section and other sections of BF, newbies just like you had the same challenges as you asked for advice about how to solve them. And they did get lots of various advice on how to overcome these common challenges.
Old 09-26-22, 09:10 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Driving is considered to be the default. Most people know what to expect when they drive to work, and conditions don't change all that dramatically through the seasons. And cars are nearly "one size fits all" for people with different levels of physical conditioning.

People wrap their lifestyles around their cars. The last year that I still drove to work, my morning drive was a complex route that involved dropping off my kids at day care and my spouse at her workplace. A lot of people have routines like that. When they were old enough for kindergarten, I walked my bike along with them to school, and continued to my workplace from there.

Possibly a big under-appreciated factor: They know that driving is socially approved. It's like the old saying, "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM." If you drive, and something goes wrong, everybody's sympathetic because it's part of what's considered to be normal. If you ride a bike and a flat tire makes you 10 minutes late for a meeting, now you're the freak who was screwing around on company time.

I believe that unavoidably, cycling to work requires a bit more experimentation and adaptation to make it work for your situation. At the very least, you have to find a bike that fits your body, figure out how to get reliable use out of it, how to deal with weather and seasons, including darkness. If you maintain the option of riding or driving, the choice to ride has to be made about 1/2 hour sooner in the morning, give or take. It's only "simple" if you've been doing it for a few years.

I advocate bike commuting at my workplace. It has gained in popularity, but slowly. I hope some people see a guy like me, relatively slight in stature, not hip or young by any means, as proof that you don't have to be a hero to ride a bike.

I advocate starting with modest goals and figure out what works for you. Start with a few exploratory rides during weekends, to find a good route. Then come to work during the days with the nicest weather. Give yourself a chance to get addicted to it before raising the ante. Chances are, most people will never ride in subzero weather, so I don't push that at all, but I do carefully explain why it's not as insane as it seems.

I recommend e-bikes. The people who can pedal a conventional bike without unbearable effort already know who they are.
Old 09-27-22, 02:56 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Cause people are inherently lazy unless they are in a cult like Amsterdam.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.