Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Interaction with Scooter Guy

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Interaction with Scooter Guy

Old 09-23-22, 11:10 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
It doesn't have to be road legal to be legal to own...
Old 09-23-22, 11:11 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Holy heck, why would anyone want to go 50 MPH on one of these things?
Not defending the scooter crowd, but many non-cyclists can’t imagine why anyone in their right mind would go down a hill over 40, 50, 60 MPH on a spindly looking racing bicycle. Having done 62 on a tandem, I would have to say they are partially right.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-23-22, 05:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Not defending the scooter crowd, but many non-cyclists can’t imagine why anyone in their right mind would go down a hill over 40, 50, 60 MPH on a spindly looking racing bicycle. Having done 62 on a tandem, I would have to say they are partially right.
a traditional bicycle would require 100% human power, whereas the E vehicles are not.
Old 09-23-22, 06:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
a traditional bicycle would require 100% human power, whereas the E vehicles are not.
Unbelievable observation! However you only get partial credit. There are two types of “E vehicles” - I know because we own one.

1. PEDAL ASSIST: no pedal, no go. It’s as simple as that. NO FREE LUNCH. We own one. Don’t think I can make it any more clear.
2. Electric bicycle, e-scooter, mono-board, etc. No pedaling required at all unless you want to. Good luck pedaling a scooter but you can push with your foot if you are lame.

There is a very clear delineation between the two.

As for my top speed, I WAS NOT PEDALING - AT ALL - we were coasting where gravity and a 5 mile 15-20% grade got us there. So was I an e-bike then? No, I was scared s…less. So now you get 1/4 credit.

Next question or do you want to keep your 1/4 correct answer?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-23-22, 07:21 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by rsbob
Unbelievable observation! However you only get partial credit. There are two types of “E vehicles” - I know because we own one.

1. PEDAL ASSIST: no pedal, no go. It’s as simple as that. NO FREE LUNCH. We own one. Don’t think I can make it any more clear.
2. Electric bicycle, e-scooter, mono-board, etc. No pedaling required at all unless you want to. Good luck pedaling a scooter but you can push with your foot if you are lame.

There is a very clear delineation between the two.

As for my top speed, I WAS NOT PEDALING - AT ALL - we were coasting where gravity and a 5 mile 15-20% grade got us there. So was I an e-bike then? No, I was scared s…less. So now you get 1/4 credit.

Next question or do you want to keep your 1/4 correct answer?
I stated traditional bicycles 100% human powered vs E not being the case.

Be ready for next week's exam. It is closed book, no notes!
Old 09-23-22, 07:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I stated traditional bicycles 100% human powered vs E not being the case.

Be ready for next week's exam. It is closed book, no notes!
No notes!? That’s an outrage! Hope you grade on the ‘curb’.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-23-22, 07:58 PM
Troul 

Brush up on those spread streets skills.
All the questions will stem from inflation & linked economics.

No curbs here!
Old 09-23-22, 08:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Brush up on those spread streets skills.
All the questions will stem from inflation & linked economics.

No curbs here!
No problemo. I have super spread sheet skills. (Had a 28 linked sheet with a Brazillion macros). Reading comprehension is pretty marginal though. OH, but I did take a Home Econ class if that counts. No, it was Business Law which was a class of some sort which helped get me some expensive piece of paper. Hot links anyone?

Cycling related content: I did ride/pedal my Schwinn Varsity to the bees-knees classes.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-23-22, 08:14 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Were you never a kid? Or did you lead a very sheltered and safe life? Safety awareness many times seems to be something one gains as one ages and survives the stupid things done previously.

My wife says I still need some growing up to do!
Sure, but skinned knees and elbows from a tumble off a bike riding no hands at 15 mph is not quite like tumbling headlong off a skateboard platform at 50 mph when the inevitable unexpected happens. Survival seems far less likely…

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-24-22, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Sure, but skinned knees and elbows from a tumble off a bike riding no hands at 15 mph is not quite like tumbling headlong off a skateboard platform at 50 mph when the inevitable unexpected happens. Survival seems far less likely…

Otto
Only 15 mph on a bike.... as a pre-teen or teen. If that was the extent of your experience during those years, then perhaps you led a sheltered life too! <grin>
Old 09-24-22, 10:00 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
I saw a young guy (about 25 years old) going about 40 miles per hour on what can be best described as a single fat tire.....guy was standing up and not wearing any helmet.
I saw it today. I have never seen anything like it before. Later, when I got home, I GOOGLED until I saw that single fat tire, stand-up, powered unicycle thing.
It seems that it is a Begode. It appears they are a new thing that came out about six months ago. They sell for about $3100.00 US dollars.
Top speed is said to be around 42 miles per hour.

The 25 year old guy riding it was riding it as if it were a car, or motorcycle. The acceleration from a standstill to 35 mph rivals a 350cc Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha motorcycle. The tire itself is fat like some 21st century motorcycle tires are. I was shocked to see somebody going that fast, on a heavily trafficked road, single file with about fifteen cars, suvs, and pickup trucks, taking the left of center like a motorcycle would, accelerating quickly and maintaining pace with traffic, but NO HAND SIGNALS, No brake lights that I could see, No turn signals that I could see, No lights of any kind...
It was all stand-up on some minimal standing board platform......the whole thing looked like if you imagined an all black, very minimal segway type of thing with a single big wheel/tire that is super fast unlike a segway type thing.
I would imagine that the young guy recently purchased it, and he probably was ill informed, too stupid, or just didn't care that the probability that he encounters the local police who inform him that such a device,"vehicle" is unlawful to ride on public roads with motor vehicle traffic.
Back in 1977, a buddy of mine with a lot more money than sense, purchased a gasoline powered skateboard, that had been featured in a drive test report in either Road & Track, or Car & Driver (both then popular car magazines) as a lark. The skateboard had a small chainsaw/weedwacker type gas engine and a cable throttle that the rider held in his hand. I think the gas powered skateboard was called the Moto board. Anyway, he rode this thing for miles and miles on residential side streets, avoiding major streets. The local police would stop him about every day, and tell him that you cannot be riding the gas powered skateboard(motoboard) in the street as if it were a vehicle. He would say thank you officers, I didn't know that, and then would go back to doing it anyway. Well this went on for about three weeks, and he encountered some of the same police officers again, who told him that they recognized him as the guy they told not to do it again just a week before. The officers thought of ticketing him but left him go, with a Reed & Malloy type speech saying that he could get hurt if he hits a rut, stick, pothole, pebbles, or rocks and goes down and then a car, van, stationwagon, or truck runs over him because they don't see him on the ground until its too late. Anyway, he kept on riding the motoboard in the street, just being more wary of the local police. Well some of his luck ran out as he hit a combination of road irregularities, ruts, slight pot hole and debris and was sent flying off the gas powered skateboard and though he didn't break any bones, he lost a good amount of skin, and needed to go to ER for stitches and wound cleaning and dressing.
I don't know that he ever chose to ride that motoboard again after that experience, as sometimes lessons learned from the school of hard knocks are the only way for some.
Old 09-25-22, 01:09 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Scooter guy
Old 09-25-22, 05:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Good thing about those scooters ... way top-heavy. They tip right over with just a nudge. A Keirin-style helmet whack and well .... have someone video the show and edit you out ......
A bicycle & rider isn't top heavy?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-25-22, 05:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Good thing about those scooters ... way top-heavy. They tip right over with just a nudge. A Keirin-style helmet whack and well .... have someone video the show and edit you out ......
Originally Posted by dedhed
A bicycle & rider isn't top heavy?
I was going to make some typically smart-mouthed response like, "Well, some riders are apparently airheads, so they wouldn't be .... " but if you are taking me seriously on BF .... probably most compassionate thing I can do is let you be ...

Have a nice day .....
Old 09-25-22, 09:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you look at that scooter from the side profile you'll see that it's stem angles back putting the handlebars in a position where the rider has to put more weight on the rear. The little kick scooters of our/my day and some of the early razor's of my kid's day's had the stem almost vertical so one tended to crowd the forward part of the scooter making them easier to flip. Especially if hitting big rocks, a raised edge of pavement or other such.

If I wasn't at the age where I take longer to heal, I'd give this thing a go and try to set my own personal land speed record on a scooter!

Now where should a scooter of that speed be ridden? That's a different discussion I'll try to stay out of! (but will likely fail) <grin>
Old 09-25-22, 09:44 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I am reminded of the Saturday Night Live comment about Segways .... "... an entirely new way for people to be hit by cars."
I was reminded of another SNL skit:

Old 09-25-22, 05:54 PM
Troul 

Now where should a scooter of that speed be ridden? That's a different discussion I'll try to stay out of! (but will likely fail) <grin>
This should not be left heavily unaddressed. That's a big issue with most problems. No one wants to be proactive to a problem, only reactive & passive aggressive.
Old 09-25-22, 06:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Now where should a scooter of that speed be ridden?
Any interstate in Arizona would work. Love those 80 MPH speed limits were everyone does 90+

Old 09-26-22, 06:27 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Only 15 mph on a bike.... as a pre-teen or teen. If that was the extent of your experience during those years, then perhaps you led a sheltered life too! <grin>
Sigh. This place is becoming tiresome.

Otto
Old 09-26-22, 08:48 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Reminds me of car drivers recommending running over bicycle riders.
Old 09-26-22, 10:17 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Reminds me of car drivers recommending running over bicycle riders.
That's what protected bike lanes are for.