Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I think I just found a 1981/82 Trek 957 w/ Super Record. What am I even doing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I think I just found a 1981/82 Trek 957 w/ Super Record. What am I even doing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 07:48 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'm guessing this bike is going to ride very similar to a ...............................Confente. No worse, anyway.
Old 09-29-22, 07:59 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
@AdventureManCP - The cyclical noise is likely a spot that has lost its adhesion
The bike typically taken out for my rides (Pinarello Montello) has a spot that has only one layer of glue on the tire side. I leave a space opposite the valve stem without glue on the rim to facilitate removal. Did that a couple of weeks ago and it worked out great. When I start a ride, it is there but by mile 10 it is gone.
Rolling a tire is the least of my concerns, flat dominate! If the tread is checked on the tubulars, I would not ride them. they will fall apart soon enough.
Currently I am running Compass Elite on that bike. The De Rosa has Vittoria Corsa G+. The Corsa G+ is a superior tire of the two. I ran a clincher set before converting back to sewups on the Pin. The Colnago has the Yellow Jersey 3/$50, now 3/$60 tires. They are the budget tire set and the performance bears that out.
The key spec I look for is thread count, then "rubber" composition/tire construction. I don't think tread really makes any difference on narrower tires. The contact patch is too small.
Old 09-29-22, 08:01 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Well, took her for a ride the other night. I've ridden the bike around 3-4 times, and each time I've taken it a little faster. Still, not willing to push those old tubulars. They creak! I was hearing a cyclical squeaking/creaking sound, and it sounded like it was coming from the rim/tire in front, so my hunch was that it was the compromised glue interface. Its funny...each time I take it out, it calls out to me 'faster, faster!' But I can't yet and it is so hard not to. As I was nearing the end of the ride, the back end started feeling a little wobbly - sure enough, I got off and spun the back wheel and heard the 'hiss!' of a leak. The leak was coming from the valve - tire is toast. As well as it should be, since it was old, probably ready to fall off the rim, and may have even saved me from a spill had I continued pushing it.

Cleaned up the paint a bit

Whoop! Hearing a hiss!

Bye bye Conti Podium

I still need to give the bike a good detailing and cleaning, and we'll get there in due time. In the meantime, I've got my homework cut out for me in reading through the 'Totally Tubular' thread and finding some good replacements. I'd like something light and racy to match the bike, but living in Colorado means we need a little bit of thorn protection as well.

What's also interesting to me is the size of the frame. I measured it as a solid 54cm C-to-C. I felt like I have usually always ridden a 56cm, but the top tube length feels fine and when I straddle the bike, I have just a couple of inches that I can pick it up, so I guess it is the right size. The milled grooves of the seatpost go down past the seat tube, and it has a about a good fistful of seatpost sticking out and it feels right. I guess I'm a 54cm?
The seatpost grooves going into the frame is a bad thing, in terms of water ingress. Vintage classiness is secondary to preserving the frame integrity, and to stressing your knees or perineal region. One of the baselines for saddle height is to put your heels on the pedals (without toeclips, use some spare MKS's) and pedal backwards. Your knee should straighten at bottom on each side with no knee locking, excess pressure on the pedal, hip rocking, or a feeling of reaching for the pedal. Knee locking and pedal pressure are signs of saddle too low maybe a few millimeters, and the other issues are signs of saddle too high.

Get that adjusted like this and see where your grooves are. They should not be in the seat lug. Remedies include a smaller frame (noooo!), a different 2 bolt seatpost with no grooves like a Campy Record nearly identical to your Super Record (yes but $$), or a different saddle which does not ride so raf above the saddle rails. Examples of such saddles include Selle AnAtomica (one of my faves), Brooks Swallow (expensive and hard, but great once it fits), or some of the Specialized racing saddles used, like the Toupe series, the Avatar, and the Alias. Take your saddle to the bike shop and see what they have (new or in the take-off box) which is lower. Another consideration is shoe/cleat height. The heel method is mainly correct for riders in conventional road shoes with hard cleats. Many more modern shoes are walkable, which might have a bigger sole build up. This is an excuse to raise your saddle above the one that works here, by the difference between the shoes. LBS might be able to advise, but most likely say "we would need to do a fitting." If you just added 5 mm to allow for walkable shoes, that might be the right amount.

After you get a baseline fit this way you can go to a real fitter and get "optimized," if you're into that, but I'v always reverted back to the classic heel on pedal settings, adjusted for actual saddle and for my setback preferences.
Old 09-29-22, 08:23 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@AdventureManCP - The cyclical noise is likely a spot that has lost its adhesion
The bike typically taken out for my rides (Pinarello Montello) has a spot that has only one layer of glue on the tire side. I leave a space opposite the valve stem without glue on the rim to facilitate removal. Did that a couple of weeks ago and it worked out great. When I start a ride, it is there but by mile 10 it is gone.
Rolling a tire is the least of my concerns, flat dominate! If the tread is checked on the tubulars, I would not ride them. they will fall apart soon enough.
Currently I am running Compass Elite on that bike. The De Rosa has Vittoria Corsa G+. The Corsa G+ is a superior tire of the two. I ran a clincher set before converting back to sewups on the Pin. The Colnago has the Yellow Jersey 3/$50, now 3/$60 tires. They are the budget tire set and the performance bears that out.
The key spec I look for is thread count, then "rubber" composition/tire construction. I don't think tread really makes any difference on narrower tires. The contact patch is too small.
The cyclical noise could be from the tires, or it could be the spoke to rim interface, a few spokes not up to tension or just plain loose. I'd suggest squeezing all your front spokes and tapping them with a tool, searching for loose ones. Gently tighten any loose ones until any dead-sounding ones start to ring when you tap them with a small screwdriver. If you tighten them too much that could cause the wheel to not run true. If you are good at truing wheels, no problem.
Old 09-29-22, 10:20 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
The milled grooves of the seatpost go down past the seat tube, and it has a about a good fistful of seatpost sticking out and it feels right. I guess I'm a 54cm?
I’d say the frame is still too big, but if you like it, definitely get another seat post without the grooves.
Old 09-29-22, 10:35 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
One way I've loosened a stuck seatpost was to grease the part that was above the seat cluster and then loosen the seat binder bolt and then ride the bike around the block. After a few road bumps I could feel the seatpost move.

Cheers
Old 09-29-22, 11:54 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,508 Times in 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
The seatpost grooves going into the frame is a bad thing, in terms of water ingress. Vintage classiness is secondary to preserving the frame integrity, and to stressing your knees or perineal region. One of the baselines for saddle height is to put your heels on the pedals (without toeclips, use some spare MKS's) and pedal backwards. Your knee should straighten at bottom on each side with no knee locking, excess pressure on the pedal, hip rocking, or a feeling of reaching for the pedal. Knee locking and pedal pressure are signs of saddle too low maybe a few millimeters, and the other issues are signs of saddle too high.

Get that adjusted like this and see where your grooves are. They should not be in the seat lug. Remedies include a smaller frame (noooo!), a different 2 bolt seatpost with no grooves like a Campy Record nearly identical to your Super Record (yes but $$), or a different saddle which does not ride so raf above the saddle rails. Examples of such saddles include Selle AnAtomica (one of my faves), Brooks Swallow (expensive and hard, but great once it fits), or some of the Specialized racing saddles used, like the Toupe series, the Avatar, and the Alias. Take your saddle to the bike shop and see what they have (new or in the take-off box) which is lower. Another consideration is shoe/cleat height. The heel method is mainly correct for riders in conventional road shoes with hard cleats. Many more modern shoes are walkable, which might have a bigger sole build up. This is an excuse to raise your saddle above the one that works here, by the difference between the shoes. LBS might be able to advise, but most likely say "we would need to do a fitting." If you just added 5 mm to allow for walkable shoes, that might be the right amount.

After you get a baseline fit this way you can go to a real fitter and get "optimized," if you're into that, but I'v always reverted back to the classic heel on pedal settings, adjusted for actual saddle and for my setback preferences.
Thanks for your detailed thoughts, this is excellent.

No way I'm going with a smaller frame! I actually thought that a 54 might have been a bit too small for me, but I'm really digging the ideal standover height. Compared to a 56, I like the standover better, but the stem rise is a little worse. I can compensate for the stem (although you lose that racy look a bit), but it is hard to get 'more' standover room, so I'm liking the 54cm.

I totally get the issue with the grooves going down past the seattube as a rain collector. My hope is that this bike wasn't ridding much in the rain, or that the grooves don't go down too far (haven't tested to check). When I pulled the stem to raise it just a bit, it had grease and moved easily, so that gives me hope that the seatpost is similar. I am going to spray some nutcracker or other loosening spray down into those grooves and let it soak for a long time.

Right now I'm doing a lot of tubular research to see what might work well for replacements. I'm open to suggestions. While I am in goathead territory, I'm up for recommendations that make no sense. I've got bikes to be used for everyday riding, commuting, etc. It's fun to have a old school race bike! Any 200g race tubulars around?

The saddle on this bike seems to have a lot of stack height, so I also like the suggestion of finding a more flat saddle
Old 09-29-22, 11:59 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by Miele Man
One way I've loosened a stuck seatpost was to grease the part that was above the seat cluster and then loosen the seat binder bolt and then ride the bike around the block. After a few road bumps I could feel the seatpost move.

Cheers
Oh, this is a great suggestion! I prefer the natural way, versus applying exaggerated force. I have a sneaky suspicion that my lack of thoroughness might also be a culprit here. I loosened the nut on one side, but didn't touch the actual binder bolt. Maybe it is actually not stuck at all. I'll be very happy if my lazy attempt at a half-baked seat adjustment didn't actually loosen the post.
Old 09-29-22, 12:01 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by smd4
I’d say the frame is still too big, but if you like it, definitely get another seat post without the grooves.
All my other bikes are bigger, so I hope this one is not too big

I've seen grooves on seatposts go down the tube pretty far. If need be, I'll replace the post (but keeping it). I'm not throwing anything on the bike away or selling, so if anything changes, it will be reversible and kept. Seat might be one of the first things to go.
Old 09-29-22, 12:18 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Oh, this is a great suggestion! I prefer the natural way, versus applying exaggerated force. I have a sneaky suspicion that my lack of thoroughness might also be a culprit here. I loosened the nut on one side, but didn't touch the actual binder bolt. Maybe it is actually not stuck at all. I'll be very happy if my lazy attempt at a half-baked seat adjustment didn't actually loosen the post.
The "Secret Sauce" I've always read of- 1:1 of ATF and Acetone. Google it- it's supposed to get better results than PB Blaste, Kroil or other commercial solutions.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-29-22, 12:29 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,455 Times in 3,192 Posts
Took me half a day to clean up just the rear derailleur!
Wo. When I spend two hours on one, I think that's a lot of time.
Old 09-29-22, 12:30 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
The "Secret Sauce" I've always read of- 1:1 of ATF and Acetone. Google it- it's supposed to get better results than PB Blaste, Kroil or other commercial solutions.
That (plus heat plus massive amounts of leverage) worked for me to get out a BB that had fused to a Ti BB shell. Now I've got half a mason jar of the stuff I'm not sure what do do with I suppose it'll come in handy the next time I have a similar issue.
Old 09-29-22, 12:43 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Took me half a day to clean up just the rear derailleur! Also found the wheels cracked. Will need some replacements at some point -

Go big- Red Bullseyes.

(I just think the Bullseyes look cool- several years ago, someone was selling NOS Bullseyes for $33. I thought I'm not paying that for frickin' pulleys... then I realized it was for less than the inflationary rise... so I picked up a few sets. I don't really think they make much of any performance difference- I just think they look cool- they're a little more clack-y, and work great on friction and Accushift- I've heard they may not be the best for SIS shifting- and I've got a purple set on a 7 speed XTR system and it works super. But the reds are classic.)

1985 Trek 620 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

1990 Miyata 1000LT- Rear Derailleur by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-29-22, 05:25 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by seypat
I'm guessing this bike is going to ride very similar to a ...............................Confente. No worse, anyway.
Ha! Maybe if someone would lend me their Confente I could do a more scientific comparison for everyone's benefit!
Old 09-29-22, 05:30 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Originally Posted by himespau
That (plus heat plus massive amounts of leverage) worked for me to get out a BB that had fused to a Ti BB shell. Now I've got half a mason jar of the stuff I'm not sure what do do with I suppose it'll come in handy the next time I have a similar issue.
That is what I used to get the stuck stem out of my PX-10 - that was such a crazy experience I should have documented it. I had it inverted and was using a steel rod and pushed it down with a bearing puller. Weird, but it worked. Unfortunately some of this solution dribbled down the front of the headtube and grazed across the 'Peugeot' logo with the lion and instantly turned it to raw faceless aluminum. Whoops!
Old 09-29-22, 05:58 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
To be fair, children. lol
Old 09-29-22, 06:10 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

GREAT news! Seatpost came out, and rather easily actually.

So no, not 'stuck' like we think of stuck. The nut on the other side of the binder bolt does nearly nothing. The bolt really needs to be loosened for the seatpost to move (biggest DUH moment so far).

Good thing I'm in HVAC - we use mostly standard sizes, which is exactly what was called for. 3/16.

As you can see from the above picture, the grooves in the seatpost only went down past the seat tube about 1/4", which is awesome - it means that with a flatter saddle (the current old school one is TALL), I'll have to raise the post to compensate and it will bring the seatpost grooves above the tube top, and look better as well.

I tried really, really hard to keep my twisting action small so as to not create the telltale 'zigzag' in the post since I didn't know the condition of the seat tube rim, and I think it worked. There is some very small marking, but it will, as they say, 'buff out'

Most of the discoloration on the post was the grease. It is in good shape.

Inside the seat tube looks pretty good! If there is any rust, it is merely on the surface. Inside that little hole (to the toptube), I looked really carefully and saw some surface rust, so I might eventually get a little pipette and some evaporust and tackle those little areas.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 09-29-22, 06:13 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Just for fun, and for all my fellow weight-weirdos out there, I wanted to see what the post and the saddle weighed.

The post seems good. I think we'll be able to lighten up a bit in the saddle dept.

Old 09-29-22, 06:14 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Go big- Red Bullseyes.

(I just think the Bullseyes look cool- several years ago, someone was selling NOS Bullseyes for $33. I thought I'm not paying that for frickin' pulleys... then I realized it was for less than the inflationary rise... so I picked up a few sets. I don't really think they make much of any performance difference- I just think they look cool- they're a little more clack-y, and work great on friction and Accushift- I've heard they may not be the best for SIS shifting- and I've got a purple set on a 7 speed XTR system and it works super. But the reds are classic.)

1985 Trek 620 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

1990 Miyata 1000LT- Rear Derailleur by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I've never heard of these - were they popular or well known? I was surprised a bit at the heft of the originals, they feel like solid rubber.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 09-29-22, 07:28 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Good thing I'm in HVAC - we use mostly standard sizes, which is exactly what was called for. 3/16.
Actually, the _standard_ for this would be M5. All the Treks of that era I've worked on have had an M5 binder bolt, threaded directly into the threads on the NDS ear, with no nut. And the bolt shouldn't be long enough to allow a nut to be threaded on the other end. Sounds like someone lost that original bolt, and substituted a 3/16 bolt and nut, since an SAE bolt would not have threaded into the threads of the NDS ear.
Old 09-29-22, 08:00 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
I have a 79/80 Trek 710 that takes a 3/16 SAE binder bolt, no nut necessary. Same with a similarly aged 613 frame I had too. Based on other threads I've read this seems to have been standard at the time.
Old 09-29-22, 08:27 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
What is ATF?
Old 09-29-22, 08:38 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
What is ATF?
Automatic Transmission Fluid
Old 09-29-22, 09:15 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

I decided to pull the rear tubular off since it blew around the valve stem. And 'pull' off is relative...it practically just fell off haha. I'm actually surprised it didn't just roll off the rim at 5mph

I was reading up in the 'Totally Tubular' thread and remember reading something about how the valve stems can get damaged if the tires aren't glued properly because the tire can roll around on the rim and basically pinch the stem until it gets a leak. That is probably what happened. Because there was no glue.

Okay! So, let me know what you guys think about your favorite tubulars. I decided to weigh it and I think it was probably a pretty nice tire, so shame it died. It came in at 236g - anything similar offered today?

Old 09-29-22, 09:37 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

I've never heard of these - were they popular or well known? I was surprised a bit at the heft of the originals, they feel like solid rubber.
Bullseye pulleys were among, if not THE first sealed bearing pulleys. They made some claim of saving an outrageous amount of energy... personally, I think they had a sugared up 4th grader give them those specs. But beyond any real world benefits (which I think there are some), if you had red anodized aluminum pulleys showing- it meant you forked out $16 for effing pulleys. And that means you're boss. And again- back then- $16 was like $50 now- so that's throwing down pretty large for status flex.

Do a google image search for "bullseye derailleur pulleys" and notice how many Campagnolo derailleurs you see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.