Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for good helmet-mount headlamp for randonneuring/ultra racing

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Old 09-29-22, 07:30 AM
ROT_01

Bikes: Old Fields randonneuse (local framebuilder, classic French style); Trek Hardtail 29er; Hercules (German mixte from the early 80's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

What helmet lights do people use out there? I want to have a better light for the longer brevets and PBP 2023. For years I've just taken a sort of cheap Black Diamond brand headlamp off of it's elastic headband and strapped it to my bike helmet. This works for dealing with mechanical issues in the dark and checking a cue sheet. But it's never really bright enough for reading street signs or looking through tight corners, looking off to the side, etc. I have a SP dynamo hub and Edelux lamp mounted to my front rack on my bike so plenty of light on the road. I'm just curious what supplemental lamps people use on their helmets for looking outside of the fixed beam of the rack mounted light. Any stats like how long it holds a charge and how bright it is are appreciated. But I can also look those details up if you provide the make and model of the light you use.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-22, 09:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I've got an older Cygolite that I've used for commuting and longer brevets, with a helmet mount. My dyno lights are fine for most rural riding, and I can turn it on steady or flashing to see street signs coming up to a turn or in towns. I mention Cygolite because they'll sell you a spare battery (or two) to get you through a second (or third) night.

If you're sure you can get a full charge at each overnight, I suspect most any modern light will do. Just run it on low power, or shut it off until you need it.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-29-22, 10:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I have a cygolite Metro I use for a helmet light.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-30-22, 12:18 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
I'm using zebralights. Self contained, easy to mount and aim, very broad range of brightnesses.

For hillier rides where I want a really bright helmet light for downhills I use an 18650 light, but for flatter rides an AA light is fine. Carry spare batteries as needed. I don't think I've ever really needed to change batteries on a ride.

https://www.zebralight.com/H53c-LE-N...amp_p_244.html
https://www.zebralight.com/H600c-Mk-...amp_p_235.html
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-30-22, 04:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
This might be a bit off topic, but I like a headlamp that uses one AA cell for camping because my GPS and PFD lights also use AA batteries. And was getting ready for a trip about a month ago, found that my AA headlamp no longer functioned.

To replace it I bought a ThruNite on Amazon. For camping, very happy. It has a very dim mode or a very bright mode or anywhere in between. But it has a beam like you would want for camping, not a spot beam that would light up a non-reflective street sign at a distance.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FCV32SI

If you want super bright, it can take a Li Ion battery, but the battery life would be quite short. And if you went that route, you would need a separate charger for your Li Ion battery(s).

I am not sure how well it would attach to a helmet, perhaps a DIY bracket would be better than the stock holder that is designed for your forehead.

I will be using that light starting tonight, won't be checking this site for over a week so if you have questions, reply will be delayed.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 10-02-22, 05:56 AM
gyorpb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Please don’t use a helmet light when there are others around you, you’ll be blinding them in the worst way possible.
Likes For gyorpb:
Old 10-02-22, 09:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
That's not true at all about helmet lights, they have on/off switches for a reason. Also, I have always had helmet lights where I could easily point them down. I look at my cue sheet all the time and I'm not sure how you would do that without a helmet light. They are otherwise very useful while riding at night. I have never been blinded by a randonneur with a helmet light, I guess we're generally a thoughtful bunch. I'm sure there are exceptions.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-02-22, 09:59 AM
ROT_01

Bikes: Old Fields randonneuse (local framebuilder, classic French style); Trek Hardtail 29er; Hercules (German mixte from the early 80's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
[QUOTE=gyorpb;22666014]Please don’t use a helmet light when there are others around you, you’ll be blinding them in the worst way possible.[/]
good point. I’ve been on the receiving end of other’s headlights in a group and it’s irritating. It’s not typically necessary when riding in a pack. I have been in enough situations on brevets and solo rides where I’m on my own or with one other rider and need some extra light so that’s what I’m after.
Old 10-29-22, 10:19 PM
Bug Shield

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
My experience is bikepacking, commuting, 4am joy rides, etc. for what it's worth.

I really like my Light and Motion Vis 360 Pro though I do wish it used a USB-C connector rather than the Micro-USB. I find that the advertised light output and battery runtime are not as optimistic as the claims of other manufacturers. The helmet mounting system it good, the light adjusts for angle and holds adjustment, the separate battery provides some balance, and head/tail modes are easily selected on the fly. I find a helmet-mounted headlight to be super handy for getting the attention of distracted drivers in broad daylight as well.

The Fenix BC21R/BC26R are popular on bike and helmet with the bikepacking crowd due to large capacity field-replacable batteries.
Likes For Bug Shield:
Old 11-01-22, 10:17 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
For someone with a lot of money and support or strong legs to carry a spare battery, the 1200k brevet solution is a Lupine Sl AX or Supernova B54 mini, both of which have a dipped StVZO low beam but it also has a high beam at the push of a button. So, you can read signs or avoid hitting a curb when cornering.

A strong helmet light powered on in a pack ain't right. On a 400k this year, there was over 300 turns on the cuesheet. Turning a headlight on and off seems problematic but I don't know. That ride was my first brevet with a StVZO beam and possibly my last.
Old 11-01-22, 11:44 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I ordered a Nitecore NU35 (still waiting for delivery though). After some research I ordered the Nitecore nu35 hybrid light over other lights. It works with built in battery plus AAA batteries and it is USB -C chargeable, plus it would work with the power bank. It will also lasts the entire PBP ride without recharging. I love the red night light option to see the cockpit during the ride. I use the white flood light when I need to do some repairs or get stuff out of my bags. Also red light does not blind other riders, so I do not keep turning the light on/off. Red light also easier on the eyes at night.

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/nu35