Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Patching a cut tire - what do you think?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-22, 01:06 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

Got my first tire cut. Someone recommended to patch the tire rather than replacing it. So is doing this or something similar worth it or is it too dangerous?
​​​
Likes For alexk_il:
Old 10-02-22, 04:00 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Looking at the cut tire in your other thread I'd say no way I'd trust that tire with any kind of repair. In my honest opinion t hat tire is dead and should be disposed of. I'd cut it in half and throw it out. I cut any unsafe tires of mine in half before throwing them out. That way I know that some poor person won't use it.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-02-22, 04:28 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
If you have to think about it, the gene pool can always use a little self chlorination.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-03-22, 09:25 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
Got my first tire cut. Someone recommended to patch the tire rather than replacing it. So is doing this or something similar worth it or is it too dangerous?
Assuming the tire in the video is NOT yours, unless you can show us the cut we have no idea whether it can/should be repaired. Small cuts that don't cut through the casing can be fixed with super glue or shoe goo. Small casing cuts can be booted and as long as there is no significant bulge in the tire, can be ridden safely assuming the boot job is done properly. When it comes to sewing the cut with thread, then you are on your own. I'm currently riding on a booted tire with over 3,000 miles on it.
Old 10-03-22, 10:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
My test for cuts is to look at them after they are repaired and inflated to riding pressure. I won't use them if the cut area is pooched out like grandma's lips wanting a smooch from us when we visited as a kid. Actually not even quite that much.

If the cut area bulges after repairing, then I feel that too much of the casing and structural part of the tire is damaged. Also, I'd just be too uncomfortable that it wouldn't last. And while I wouldn't be concerned about bad things happening to me while riding it, I'd just be imagining that it's going to more likely just have me fixing the flat on the side of the road again and maybe the tire be in worse and unusable shape. I don't carry spare tires.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-03-22, 03:50 PM
alexk_il

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Assuming the tire in the video is NOT yours, unless you can show us the cut we have no idea whether it can/should be repaired. Small cuts that don't cut through the casing can be fixed with super glue or shoe goo. Small casing cuts can be booted and as long as there is no significant bulge in the tire, can be ridden safely assuming the boot job is done properly. When it comes to sewing the cut with thread, then you are on your own. I'm currently riding on a booted tire with over 3,000 miles on it.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...y-lessons.html
Old 10-03-22, 06:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Why are people so cheeaaaaap. Safety seems to be somewhere in 23rd place for people. Accept the tire is dead and get a new tire. A tire boot is an emergency thing to get you home or to the nearest shop beyond that, the sidewall is done. If it truly is a small cut and doesn't bulge I guess I would monitor it very closely and still probably just get a new tire to be sure.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-04-22, 08:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
very cool & surprising video
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-05-22, 04:18 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Looks reasonable for a fat mountain bike tire. I don't know if I would attempt on a skinny road slick. I've done sidewall patches on road slicks before (not with stitching) and while it looks like it'll hold, I can't convince myself to ride them with high confidence. I've had a catastrophic blowout before on a road tire with damaged casing, so perhaps I'm just scarred from that experience.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 10-05-22, 06:08 AM
wrobertdavis

Bikes: Surly Bridge Club, 1992 Miyata 914

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I recently banged a new scwalbe G-0ne speed 650bx50 tire that put a split in the sidewall. The split was on the outer layer -- it did not go all the way through the sidewall. Replacing it was not a question of cost (a $65 tire), but availability -- Out of stock everywhere. A mechanic friend suggested his approach to saving such a tire. He uses industrial rubber gasket material, which has a dense, tough cloth inner layer. It's about 1mm thick. He super glued it to the inside of tire, across the split location. Then he put three layers of duct tape across the boot, making sure it covered the edges of the boot. When inflated, there was no bulge at the split. Lastly, he told me to mount the tire on the rear - never the front.

I am happily riding on my repaired tire with no issues so far. When stock is available, I will order a new tire.
Likes For wrobertdavis:
Old 10-05-22, 08:39 AM
KerryIrons

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why are people so cheeaaaaap. Safety seems to be somewhere in 23rd place for people. Accept the tire is dead and get a new tire. A tire boot is an emergency thing to get you home or to the nearest shop beyond that, the sidewall is done. If it truly is a small cut and doesn't bulge I guess I would monitor it very closely and still probably just get a new tire to be sure.
I've been booting tires for over 50 years. You can call it cheap and I call it not being wasteful. Safety has nothing to do with it since I have NEVER had a boot fail or result in any kind of safety issue. Why are some people so paranoid?
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 10-05-22, 08:45 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean repaired tires aren't out to get me !
Likes For t2p:
Old 10-05-22, 10:02 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
I would replace the tire for sure. Then I would patch the old one just to see if I could...

But then again I am one of those guys who can get mesmerized watching Youtube Hindi tire repair vids. Those laborers patching enormous tire gashes with raw butyl and vulcanizing cement.

Ahhh... the rich Toluene in the air... smells of victory... Ha

Last edited by zandoval; 10-06-22 at 07:23 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 10-06-22, 06:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I've been booting tires for over 50 years. You can call it cheap and I call it not being wasteful. Safety has nothing to do with it since I have NEVER had a boot fail or result in any kind of safety issue. Why are some people so paranoid?
That is good luck then. Heavy damage to a tire is not worth booting it is not a paranoia thing it is a safety thing. You have gotten good luck that is awesome but it is not something I would recommend to someone. On a small little cut, maybe with some time and care you could do something that would work fine but for big damage it is a big no. The only thing I am Paranoid about is Black Sabbath's second album...LOL
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-07-22, 07:01 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Ahhh... the rich Toluene in the air... smells of victory... Ha
"Victory?" You sure you don't mean "Akron - rubber capitol of the world?" (smile)
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 10-07-22, 09:53 AM
KerryIrons

That is good luck then. Heavy damage to a tire is not worth booting it is not a paranoia thing it is a safety thing. You have gotten good luck that is awesome but it is not something I would recommend to someone. On a small little cut, maybe with some time and care you could do something that would work fine but for big damage it is a big no. The only thing I am Paranoid about is Black Sabbath's second album...LOL
No, it is not good luck. It's doing a proper boot job and knowing when the cut is too large to boot.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 10-07-22, 08:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

No, it is not good luck. It's doing a proper boot job and knowing when the cut is too large to boot.
And good luck! You can say it isn't good luck but it is. You are doing a good job and having good luck it can be both.

Also I did say heavy damage so I think we are agreeing there hopefully as you mentioned too large to boot.
Old 11-07-22, 09:28 AM
wrobertdavis

Bikes: Surly Bridge Club, 1992 Miyata 914

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Looks reasonable for a fat mountain bike tire. I don't know if I would attempt on a skinny road slick. I've done sidewall patches on road slicks before (not with stitching) and while it looks like it'll hold, I can't convince myself to ride them with high confidence. I've had a catastrophic blowout before on a road tire with damaged casing, so perhaps I'm just scarred from that experience.
I agree with your assessment.
Old 11-07-22, 08:21 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
That would all depend on the size of the cut and where the cut is. A small cut within the tread area can be booted safely. No way I would do that with a sidewall cut or a very large cut.
Old 11-08-22, 10:51 AM
KerryIrons

Originally Posted by Lombard
That would all depend on the size of the cut and where the cut is. A small cut within the tread area can be booted safely. No way I would do that with a sidewall cut or a very large cut.
Of course it would depend on the size and location of the cut. Perhaps I made a bad assumption about people's ability to make a common sense decision about those factors. Going back to the original photo, there is no way I would EVER stitch a tire casing to repair it. That is not booting a tire. It's a kludge.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 11-08-22, 01:14 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Perhaps I made a bad assumption about people's ability to make a common sense decision about those factors.
I rarely make any assumptions about ability or common sense.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-09-22, 09:45 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I rarely make any assumptions about ability or common sense.
Well, I often make an assumption, but it's assuming the lack thereof.

On a different note, it's getting to the point of having to assume that nobody ever reads available manuals or instructions (RTFAMOI) about the parts that they're having trouble with before asking someone else to figure it out for them. But that's a different rant.

Last edited by Camilo; 11-09-22 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-10-22, 06:25 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Great response! I think it odd someone will spend $6,000 on a bike but want to patch a large split in a tire. I could understand if the person is very poor, and has a $50 used bike, and can't afford new tires, then maybe patching a tire cut is something they can afford to do. I will patch a cut in an emergency out on the road with a Park tire boot, but it's just so I can get home to replace the tire; of course, if the tire cut is really small that didn't go through the cords, I'll fill it in with Gorilla Glue super glue from the outside to seal it, but if the cut goes all the way through, I will replace it.
Old 11-11-22, 07:52 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Well, I often make an assumption, but it's assuming the lack thereof.

On a different note, it's getting to the point of having to assume that nobody ever reads available manuals or instructions (RTFAMOI) about the parts that they're having trouble with before asking someone else to figure it out for them. But that's a different rant.
RTFAMOI - that stands for "read those freely available manuals or instructions", right?
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 11-11-22, 08:16 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
FME, it's not people that are cheap, but bike riders. Why would anyone even consider riding with any safety-oriented component that is compromised? Aren't the conditions riding a two-wheeled vehicle dangerous enough with perfect equipment?
Likes For 2old:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.