Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

11-48t Advent X on a 20" folder?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-21, 05:43 PM
Antifriction

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Reddleman has been probing the limits of 1xN gear range on folders, starting with a Microshift Advent 9-speed 11-42 on a Tern, & then fitting another Tern with an Advent 11-46. The limiting factor is ground clearance, and while it's not for everyone, the clearance he gets, with a medium-cage derailleur, works for him. I've also pushed my old 7-speed Dahon in this direction, with an 11-34 cluster and a medium-cage Tourney TX derailleur (cage 77mm centre to centre, clearance 70mm).

The 10-speed Advent X groupset also uses a medium-cage derailleur, which by measurement of photos is no longer than the 9-speed version (although the pulleys are larger, 14t, which increases pulley radius by 4mm over that of a 12t). So here's the question: am I right in assuming that equal cage length means equal ground clearance, less that 4mm for the pulley? If so, I'll probably try the upgrade once parts are again available.
Likes For Antifriction:
Old 12-22-21, 09:52 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Lets say it all fits. What size is the chainring, or what gear inches are you expecting
Likes For mirfi:
Old 12-22-21, 10:14 PM
Antifriction

I'll take a 48t, giving 20-87" - which puts the 436% range lower than most would want, but then I'm 65, in a hilly city, and hoping to ride the folder up ski-hill switchbacks I used to climb on a 3-ring mountain bike.
Likes For Antifriction:
Old 12-22-21, 11:26 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts

Exhibit A is the 42T block, exhibit B is the 46T block. Both Terns are running Schwalbe Big Apples on 406 wheels. Factor in the extra 4mm of the bigger cog on the Advent X rear mech, the extra distance on the B tension screw for a 48T block, and how lucky you feel.

With a 48T chainring your minimum will be 21.3”, 19.5” or 18.7” with a 42T, 46T or 48T max cassette anyway, so the only considerable difference between Advent X or Advent at the low end is going to be the gaps between shifts and how much these might improve with an extra cog. The main benefit of the 46T over the 42T in my experience is the ability to keep the same low gear of 20” but use a bigger chainring for a higher top gear of 88” vs 75”.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 12-23-21, 01:35 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
I was talking with microshift about clutch derailleur for my smooth hound (which would be required on a 11-42 and above) and they don t do anything for 20” wheels.
they advise small cage only.

if you need range, the best option is something like Sora 2x with a 11-34 cassette on a short cage derailleur and then you select both chainring depending of the range required an you maximise the range ensuring there is a 16T gap between gears

cost wise, 39-53 (14T) is the cheapest option but you could find 56-42 and if you go for 11-30 cassette, 39-56 (17T) might work.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 12-23-21, 05:06 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
You need to look at the clearance in the largest cog. I mocked up a Shimano 10 speed (46t) on my 20" wheeled Bike Friday, and the cage barely cleared the ground in the largest cog. Too close for me.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 12-23-21, 02:14 PM
Antifriction

Thanks for the feedback. It's that B-screw adjustment I was wondering about; sounds like it will push the tensioner arm down a few mm that really can't be spared.
Old 12-23-21, 07:20 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
For ground clearance, it will depends on users appetite for how low it is and where they cycle.
I have run mid cages on 20" wheels without issues for many years.
I have also done mid-short cage Shimano Zee 1x10 on 18" and done gravel riding.

Generally, road riding will be lower risk the low cage gets struck by anything,

The main drawback to me is dirt accumulation which I find is very fast with the cage so low on the ground.
Likes For pinholecam: